PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agency Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, Seau is a Patriot or a retiree next year. Even taking him out of the equation I think my point stands.

AJ, a good, well written post. I agree with your points.

So, what do these move now do for the rest of the 2007 roster adjustments?

LB
Gotta think Seau would be a welcome addition IF the team ALSO adds a rookie LB(s) through the draft. Bottom line, LB youth needs an immediate injection. Woods and Mays may be getting groomed, but the success rate and length of time to become an effective starting LB on this team is hardly a given. This team always needs a few good ones in the petri dish to play STs during the grooming process.

CB/S
Past years indicate a need for numbers here with injuries preventing many decent candidates from playing a full season. Either through the draft or the signing of a serviceable veteran, this is an area that could use an injection of youth AND an experienced journeyman.

QB
Need a 3rd QB. Are the next two years the time to be looking for Brady's successor? That sounds like heresy, but rate of injuries and games missed increase when a QB begins to reach 30. Cassel is an unproven game QB, but has improved tremendously in his 2 years with the team. He needs game experience, and the pre-season is where he'll get it unless the unthinkable happens. The team could get by with a veteran as the 3rd QB one more year, but will need to add to this position for the long-term whenever the opportunity presents itself in the next couple seasons.

RB
Maroney is still unproven as the primary back. With Morris being a great signing for the next couple years, a mid-round draft pickup is not out of the question and some of these have been diamonds in the rough. The position needs some youth, and I have to believe that the ideal would be to partially platoon Maroney with Morris in the short term and groom a younger back for the same thing over the long term.

OL
Strong group, but a backup center to groom over time is not out of the question.

AJ, a good, well written post. I agree with your points.

So, what do these move now do for the rest of the 2007 roster adjustments?

LB
Gotta think Seau would be a welcome addition IF the team ALSO adds a rookie LB(s) through the draft. Bottom line, LB youth needs an immediate injection. Woods and Mays may be getting groomed, but the success rate and length of time to become an effective starting LB on this team is hardly a given. This team always needs a few good ones in the petri dish to play STs during the grooming process.

CB/S
Past years indicate a need for numbers here with injuries preventing many decent candidates from playing a full season. Either through the draft or the signing of a serviceable veteran, this is an area that could use an injection of youth AND an experienced journeyman.

QB
Need a 3rd QB. Are the next two years the time to be looking for Brady's successor? That sounds like heresy, but rate of injuries and games missed increase when a QB begins to reach 30. Cassel is an unproven game QB, but has improved tremendously in his 2 years with the team. He needs game experience, and the pre-season is where he'll get it unless the unthinkable happens. The team could get by with a veteran as the 3rd QB one more year, but will need to add to this position for the long-term whenever the opportunity presents itself in the next couple seasons.

RB
Maroney is still unproven as the primary back. With Morris being a great signing for the next couple years, a mid-round draft pickup is not out of the question and some of these have been diamonds in the rough. The position needs some youth, and I have to believe that the ideal would be to partially platoon Maroney with Morris in the short term and groom a younger back for the same thing over the long term.

OL
Strong group, but a backup center to groom over time is not out of the question.

Right, and I left out one of the more critical remaining positions:

WR
Need a dependable receiver to stretch the field. Currently, no one on the roster fills that role. Whether it can be a healthy CJ, a draft choice, or a veteran FA, Brady needs to keep the opposing DBs honest with a legitimate long-ball threat. Teams have cheated up to stop the run due to the lack of this type of WR on the roster. My preference is to add someone who can step in now. I'm leery about Stallworth, but a one-year contract could give CJ some competition and add some depth if a rookie can't be obtained in the draft. The draft is deep in WRs this season. We'll see . . .

I'm gonna bump this...some good discussion that late comers (insert joke here) might not have seen yet.

I agree with a lot that has been said here. I see the Patriots needs, going forward, as:

- Depth at LB! Do you guys realize that we basically have four starters and one backup (Alexander)? We are missing at least two players entirely, so this is a big concern, even after the A.D. signing. I'd like to see another vet brought in (Donnie Edwards would be good), and we should definitely spend a high pick on the likes of Willis or Poz, so long as the value is there.

- Safety: I don't think we can rely on Harrison or Eugene Wilson at this point, because of injuries and, in the case of the former, age. I am comfortable with Sanders as a starter, and expect him to come in to his own next year (of course, he was supposed to do that this past year). But Hawkins as a starter leaves a lot to be desired. I thought the guy was a former corner and supposed to be GOOD in coverage? Looked to me like he was well out of position many times this past year. So, I'd really like to see a veteran signed or a high draft pick used to address the FS position.

- Wide receiver: I think Wes Welker is being undervalued by most on this board. We did not give up a 2 & a 7, plus a decent contract, for a situational role player. He will be a big weapon in the offense. That said, we still need somebody to play the role of deep threat. Caldwell and Gaffney don't fit the mold. CJ might if healthy, but it would seem a little foolish to rely on him right now. Stallworth at a low-risk contract would be great, but I see some team offering him a much better contract. Not sure what options that leaves.

- Running back: I like the Morris signing, especially because he will help out a great deal on special teams, but would still like to see another RB added, possibly as early as the third round of the draft, for depth. The Pats only carried 4 RBs last year, but IMO, it hurt them by the time the playoffs rolled around. I'd expect them to think about carrying a 5th this year.

A corner would be nice, but is not a big need unless the Patriots expect to lose Samuel or Gay. Might be good to draft one high to groom for the future, though.

I am excited about the direction this team is taking next year though. We have added a fantastic weapon on each side of the ball (A.D. and Welker) and still have the opportunity to add more. We are lucky fans! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes