PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agency pushed back until April 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInEaglesLand

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I heard on local sports talk today ( Howard Eskin 610 WIP ) that free agency will be pushed back until April 1st so that a new CBA can be worked out.

Anybody else her about this? I mean this guy is a stupid fool but I can't see him making this up.

Pushing the date to April 1 is a maybe if they need more time to work out the new CBA........

How can they push Free Agency back to April 1st? That would give them about 2 weeks for restricted free agency and basically puts teams behind the 8 ball if they want to sign a restricted free agent. It also makes it very tough on teams who could potentially lose RFAs.

I highly doubt that they push Free Agency back more than a week or so.

Hopefully they won't have to. Per Sportsline...

There is talk making its way through the league that NFL and the players association are close to agreeing on a new collective bargaining agreement. There has been steady progress the past week, giving hope to both sides. The NFL has called a special owners meeting for next week in Dallas. All the doom and gloom of the past year regarding a potential agreement has suddenly been replaced by optimism. "There has been some good talks this week," said a league source. One issue that seemed to be clouding the talks was the improved revenue sharing between high- and low-revenue teams. But the word is the owners will wait until after a getting an agreement with the NFLPA before worrying about that problem. The players want a higher percentage of the total revenue, which is believed to be one point that the two sides are close to agreeing on. Don't be shocked to see a new agreement in place in the next week. If that happens, the free-agency period should begin on March 3 as planned. With no agreement, the opening of the free-agency period could get pushed back to April.

What Workhorse said is good news indeed...There have been a number of ramblings in various places about pushing FA back a month..and that MAY be needed as alternatives are far worse. The CBA needs to be done in place..before the FA period or it will make it extremely hard with the uncapped year still in play. I really hope wiser heads prevail and this gets done, whether the it is in 2 weeks or 4-5..

I know there is the possibility of moving free agency up to April 1, but nothing's official yet. As of now, they're just speculating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes