Welcome to PatsFans.com

Fred Thompson names anti-Israel ex-senator as campaign manager

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 11 / -10

http://www.israeltoday.co.il/default.aspx?tabid=178&nid=13601

Republican presidential hopeful Fred Thompson, who has yet to officially announce his candidacy, has chosen as his new campaign manager and ex-senator who is reviled by many within the party for being soft on Islamic terrorism and an enemy of the Jewish state.

The Los Angeles Times reported that, as of last week, Thompson's campaign is being run by former Michigan senator Spencer Abraham, who is best known for his total opposition to almost any form of realistic border control between the US and Mexico.

But Abraham, who is a Christian of Lebanese descent, has also carved out an image of himself as a facilitator and supporter of anti-US and anti-Israel Islamic fundamentalism, noted conservative commentator Debbie Schlussel.

During his one term in the Senate, Spencer was the driving force behind a bill that granted more than $250 million in US taxpayers' money to Hizballah-controlled southern Lebanon, Schlussel wrote in a recent column. Nearly every penny went into the terror group's pocket.

2. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Like it or not Hezbollah are the de facto defence forces for a big chunk of Abraham's ancestral homeland. Hezbollah, however, shouldn't be trusted, not because they're anti-Israel, rather because of the 1983 Marine barricks bombing. The article states that the bill sent the millions to Hezbollah-controlled southern Lebanon, not to Hezbollah directly which is a big difference. We send money to Fatah in Palestine and they have militant groups associated with them. Ask yourself this... Would there be the any outrage if a presidential candidate hired an anti-Thailand ex-senator? And it's not like Thompson is going to come out and say, "Lebanon has a right to defend herself while Israel is just another one of the 192 nations on this planet."

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

S Abrahan is not a part of the Thompson campaign,old news Patters. Given tour current obsession with Thompson, I take it you view him as a candidate who is dangerous to the dems?

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +285 / 11 / -10

No, I'm pretty equal in my attacks. Frankly, they're all dangerous or they would not have come this far, but in my opinion, they hall have more baggage than any of the leading Democrats: Romney, dishonest, narcissistic, and Mormon; Giuliani, screwed up personal life, narcissistic, and egocentric; McCain, unstable, too old, and sold out his independence; Thompson, unattractive, too old, former lobbyist. Of course, they have strengths, too, but I don't feel it's my place to list them!

5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Interesting a Clinton supporter would attack Guiliani over his personal life, since Clinton supporters alway said a person's personal life wasn't relevant while he was President. ;)

6. Patters

Ratings:
    +285 / 11 / -10

No, it's not relevant, but it doesn't mean it won't be used against him. After all, that's part of the playbook that people like Atwater and Rove helped perfect.

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Gee I thought with the Borking of Bork.

8. Patters

Ratings:
    +285 / 11 / -10

Bork was attacked almost exclusively on political grounds, not on personal grounds. And, besides, Atwater started his sleazy tactics at least 5 years before Bork was nominated.

9. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Patters, I've heard you say many times that you think Romney is dishonest. Did you have specific examples? I know he's done some fudging in his political ads and changed positions, but I haven't seen him be dishonest anymore than any other politician. This isn't a jab at you, I really am just curious.

10. Patters

Ratings:
    +285 / 11 / -10

This article provides some good examples:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/27/AR2007022700160_2.html
    http://boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/01/14/romney_retreats_on_gun_control/

For more, check out this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=romney's flipflops&btnG=Search

I think Romney will say or do anything to be president. He's by far the most inconsistent candidate, and his inconsistencies directly service his immediate objective.

11. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ah yes, the world of Patters... where Romeny and Guiliani are narcisstic but Princess Edwards isn't.... :rofl:

12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So, in otherwords, he's just like Hillary Clinton (not to mention Bill Clinton), Barack Obama and Princess Edwards.

Typical liberal... thinks his sh*t smells sweeter than everyone else's... Romney is narcisstic but Edwards is a 100% serious minded candidate... :rolleyes:

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +285 / 11 / -10

Once again, you are claiming I said something I never said. In fact, Edwards is clearly narcissistic, and it will be used against him, just as it will be used against Romney and Giuliani.

14. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:rofl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AE847UXu3Q :rofl:

15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +568 / 6 / -2

You know, I was thinking the same. Patters has been incredibley critical of the guy and he hasn't even entered the fray yet.

16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +714 / 2 / -9

Didn't Princess Edwards say, "we can't make my husband a women and we can't make him Black"

Imagine if Laura said that, :singing: :singing:

17. Patters

Ratings:
    +285 / 11 / -10

Oh, he's entered the fray alright; he's just being clever, and I'm surprised you haven't figured that out. Actually, a quick search shows I've been equally critical of Romney and Thompson. McCain hardly counts anymore, but I've always said he's scarier than Bush. Giuliani I've said is the best of the Republicans, and the only one I'd even take a serious look at.

18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +568 / 6 / -2

I think his entering the race is inevitable yes, but the reality is he hasn't yet. Regardless, it doesn't change my opinion. You seem to be on Thompson pretty good. I think it's cuz he might be the type of candidate you fear. I don't know enough about him to really say for sure. It's just a perception.

In all honesty, none of the candidates really appeals to me. Some have some good qualities, but none do enough to stick out.

19. Patters

Ratings:
    +285 / 11 / -10

I have great respect for the political campaign abilities of the Republican Party. Whoever is the Republican candidate has an excellent chance of winning the election. I really don't think one candidate is stronger than the other in either party. They all have strengths and weaknesses.