PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fred Taylor vs. Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fred Taylor VS Maroney.

So Maroney is much less effective than Morris or Faulk?

Rushing Statistics
NAME ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
Fred Taylor 38 176 4.6 19 2 0 0
Laurence Maroney 20 72 3.6 12 0 0 0
Kevin Faulk 11 40 3.6 11 0 0 0
Sammy Morris 7 20 2.9 15 0 0 0

2009 total all purpose yards:

Faulk 268

Maroney 214

Taylor 180

Morris 80

Interesting to note after three games:

Essentially all of Taylor's yards are in the running game, so he leads this category with 176 yards rushing and eye popping 4.6 yards per carry.

62% of Maroney's yards are from returning kicks, leaving 9 yards in the passing game and 72 yards running. Tied for second place in YAC and also slightly ahead of Faulk in kick return YAC.

Faulk leads the RBs in returning kicks and also in the passing game. He is tied for second place amoung RBs in yards per carry, albeit with less attempts.

Morris is a non factor in the running game but surprisingly not far behind Faulk in the passing game with 60 yards on only four attempts. So he is the hidden 3rd down back it would appear.

All our RBs have roles to play on the team. We don't have one guy trying to be the hero but a bunch of role players.

Last edited:

I posted this in another thread but Belichick commented on the improved OL run blocking performance yesterday and it might be illuminating for some of you to listen to what he says, and does. BTW Maroney started the game yesterday, FWIW...

yawning-baby.jpg

Both have run the ball well this year.

Taylor has looked like the better runner thus far but your argument is poor.

I'd imagine in playoff games Taylor will get the bulk of the carries if healthy and Maroney will be doing KR in addition. Hopefully we can afford to keep Taylor' touches limited during the season.

Last edited:

I don't think Maroney has sucked. I just think Taylor is better. Taylor was met by Mike Peterson in the hole on one run, and he spun around the LB and gained a few yards. That is a few yards more than Maroney (and probably Morris) would have gotten. I don't think we've ever seen Maroney manage as well when the blocking isn't great.

Not that this is really an issue because this seems to be more of an argument of whether or not Maroney sucks than a comparison between the two backs, but Taylor runs with a fire. He doesn't care who is trying to tackle him; he's going to try to run through them and fight for every last yard.

I think it is terrible that if we want to rate a thread we have to give at least one star.

Hahaha, that's great.

Maroney played, if I can remember correctly, less than one quarter. He ran the ball four times for 17 yards, so he wasn't that ineffective in the beginning.

I may be in the minority, but I believe that Laurence Maroney has been running very well this season. Now Freddy Taylor had a great game and is having a great year, but if Maroney got some consistent touches, I think he could put up some good numbers.

Last edited:

Oh, I get it. Maroney gets really poor yardage when not playing.

Yeah, you're right about that.

Maroney getting injured=best thing happen to the run game. Why BB insists to keep LM on the team is beyond me. Although I will say his rookie year he would hit the hole so fast, run straight down hill and burst to the line...i was in awe. Haven't seen it since then though.

Fred Taylor shows us what a good running back looks like.

He is always moving forward and drags tacklers with him.

Maroney is not very consistent.

Well this is his make or break year, being in the last year of his contract.

I've pretty much left the discussion/criticism- either he is here next year or he is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back