PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fred Taylor taking different training route

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Fred Taylor taking different training route for Patriots - story in Jacksoville's Florida Times-Union

Talks about coming in to OTA's after skipping them in Jacksonville the last couple of years: "This is all voluntary," he said. "If I'm going to be able to play with the guys that are on the team, then you volunteer to come in and try to not get ahead, but not be behind, not get yelled at too much. I decided to come out here with the rookies and the other guys returning to the team. It's fun getting to know my teammates, getting to know all the different faces around here, the coaches."

"I just came here to do a job. I've been working in this business for 11 years. I want to learn the playbook, so I don't have to hesitate. I don't want to feel like a rookie out there. I listen. I've always been coachable. Whatever I've got to do, I've got to do it, but it starts with learning the plays," he said.

He has good news to report on the wrist injury, saying it was nothing major: "It was a little blown out of proportion. It was a minor slip-up at the workout," he said.

The article goes on about the two major goals Taylor has left: passing Jim Brown on the all-time rushing list and winning that elusive Super Bowl ring.

"I've always said I wanted to catch Jim Brown," he said. Brown is eighth at 12,312 yards and Taylor is 16th at 11,271.

"Whether I do or don't, it's been great playing in the NFL for this long. When you look at the average life span, things that I've gone through throughout my career with injuries. ... I've just got to keep moving forward. Whatever I end with, I'll take it,'' he said.

On a Super Bowl ring, he said, "I love to win. I'm very competitive. We play this game to try to win a championship. We just got to push forward. First and foremost, I just want to learn the daggone plays."

So I'm flipping through the channels and I hear 'Fred Taylor' on the TV. Turns out to be a replay of this great old back-and-forth Florida-Florida State college football game. Yes, I know that it was quite a while ago that Taylor was in college, but wow! - what a game by Taylor! Power and speed, long runs, a couple of touchdowns; I am really looking forward to see him in action with the Pats offense.

Incredible number of familiar names that made it to the NFL too, it's not like he was playing against slouches. Florida State has Sam Cowart, Greg Spires, Andre Wadsworth, Shevin Smith and Samari Rolle on defense; EG Green, and Tra Thomas on offense; Florida has Travis McGriff, Travis Taylor, Jacquez Green, and Mo Collins on offense; Jevon Kearse, Reggie McGrew, Fred Weary, Mike Peterson, Johnny Rutledge and Tony George on defense.

EDIT ...... oh crap; the game was on only because of a rain delay in a baseball game!!! Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

This is the perfect attitude to have. He doesn't know the team or the playbook so it's best he's in town to learn it all. This was one of my reasons for not believing in Jason Taylor to the Pats. Jason would have had to start learning the pats system early, but instead decided to go the easier route.

He wants to be here and he wants to learn...two things that he deserves credit for that are lost on some players.

YouTube - Fred Taylor #28 Highlights

perfect balance of speed and power :)

just had his career in one of the smallest nfl markets and never got the recognition he deserved.

hopefully that can all change for him in the next 2 years.

Freds always been my fav player, and I get giddy like a school girl when I think about this season and the room he should have to run when the defense is backed up and scarred ****less of Brady.

Stumbled across this article on Taylor from this past February after Jacksonville cut him: Why Fred Talor is still valuable

First, the good news:
Peter King said:
Taylor hasn't gotten too beaten up over the second half of his career, so he should be able to be the kind of role-playing back a contender could use. Since turning 28 five years ago, he's been a part-time running back and he's averaged 210 carries a year over that span.

Then, a revelation in the middle of an otherwise positive comment that made me go :eek:!
Fred Taylor said:
"Realistically, you anticipate it will come to this," Taylor said. "When you get past the 10-year mark, you can never be comfortable. They asked me if I was interested in retiring. I said no. Definitely no. I want to play in a Super Bowl so bad, and the Super Bowl's down here in Miami next year. I want to be in that game. Two years ago, Plaxico (Burress), my child's godfather, won the Super Bowl. This year, my little cousin from Belle Glade [Fla.], Santonio Holmes, was the MVP in the biggest game in the world. My taste for that game is getting stronger and stronger. And honestly, I feel fresh. I get inspired by young guys and showing them what I can do. There are a lot of young guys I'm still quicker than. God gave me a lot when he was handing out ability. I still have a lot."

Plaxico Burress is Fred Taylor's kid's godfather and Santonio Holmes is his cousin? Blasphemous!

Last edited:
Plaxico Burress is Fred Taylor's kid's godfather and Santonio Holmes is his cousin? Blasphemous!

You can't pick your family :D;)

A little more on Taylor, from Sports Illustrated: Six rushers poised for a big turnaround in 2009

Fred Taylor. The former Jacksonville standout is coming off arguably the worst season of his career, managing only 556 yards in 13 games. Don't look for a second straight subpar season now that he has signed with New England.

The Patriots arguably have the deadliest passing game in the league with Tom Brady back from reconstructive knee surgery. He threw for a league-record 50 touchdowns two years ago and should be even more lethal with the arrival of veteran newcomers Joey Galloway and Chris Baker. Defenses are going to have to play a lot of nickel and dime packages, which should create running lanes for Taylor, who still has breakaway speed despite being 33. He also won't have to shoulder the load alone with Laurence Maroney returning from a season-ending shoulder injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes