PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fred Taylor, 1998 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOzgood

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Just bringing this up because I saw a good piece on ESPN about Fred Taylor and his work ethic. I've always liked the guy and think is he in the most underrated back in the league. I remember during the 1998 draft there was huge talk of the Pats selecting Fred Taylor to fill their void at running back. Obviously, the Jags took him first and I remember reading the paper and said the next best thing would be Robert Edwards (obviously). I think it would be interesting to see how Taylor would've done here had he been drafted by us. I know he was definitely on our radars. Also makes you think of what could've been with Robert Edwards...

Just bringing this up because I saw a good piece on ESPN about Fred Taylor and his work ethic. I've always liked the guy and think is he in the most underrated back in the league. I remember during the 1998 draft there was huge talk of the Pats selecting Fred Taylor to fill their void at running back. Obviously, the Jags took him first and I remember reading the paper and said the next best thing would be Robert Edwards (obviously). I think it would be interesting to see how Taylor would've done here had he been drafted by us. I know he was definitely on our radars. Also makes you think of what could've been with Robert Edwards...

I was hoping for Taylor that year. Taylor has been a good back, but he has had more than his share of injuries. I cant think of where we would have been more succesful with him (I mean basically, since 2001, the only way we are more successful is winning the SB in 02,05 or 06, and I dont think Taylor makes that difference)
Edwards would have been interesting if he wasnt injured. He was very, very powerful, but seemed to lack instincts of a top RB. I know part of that was being a DB in college, and being converted to RB then only playing 2 years there in college, so improvement seemed logicial. I thought Edwards rookie year was 'good' but inconsistent, and where he went from there was very much up in the air.

I believe Curtis Enis was drafted ahead of Taylor. Total bust. Off-field problems, didn't live up to expectations on the field, injuries.

I am a big fan of Fred Taylor. His size speed combo is ideal. If he had played his career in NY he would be a lock HOF player already. Since he's in Jax, Fred needs to get to 12,000 yards to punch his ticket to Canton.

With fewer injuries the guy might have set records. He certainly seems to have the whole package. For combination power and speed and quickness I don't think there's a better guy out there.

Albeit I was a little younger back then (16 at the time), I thought fred was the best back in the game those first few years, but he was always hurt. Always been a fan of his.

As a PSU fan, I never thought Enis would make it into the league because of his slow first step. May have been a good fullback, but he came in as a linebacker.

That being said, I blame the Bears for signing him tot hat ridiculous contract. It produced bad feelings, and then the guy blew out his knee. Enis was taken for a ride by his agent, and then the Bears took him for a ride by signing him to an incentive laden contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back