PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fred Jackson says the Bills knew what defense the Pats were using late in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fred Jackson says the Bills knew what defense the Pats were using late in the gam

It's the NFL. It happens all the time. It's coaches and or players watching a lot of film. The only reason that we lost is that Brady threw 4 picks.
GD you're right. If he can't do better, we're going to need a new QB. Our defense can give up 300+ yards of passing every single week, we can commit as many penalties every week as this past week and we can have receivers drop a sure thing 41 yard TD pass on the 5 yard line as often as we want, as long as Glamour Boy Tommy doesn't throw 4 picks. Good God, I need a drink...

Last edited:
Re: Fred Jackson says the Bills knew what defense the Pats were using late in the gam

The excuse making and alibi creating on this board is amazing. The Patriots defense SUCKS and it has SUCKED for a long time when it's not masked by an offense that puts up 35 points (usually) at will OR by creating turnovers. This defense can't stop anyone and I simply cannot believe the amount of people on this board that make excuse after excuse for this team. They haven't had anyone who could get to the qb since Colvin's hip fell off....
Belichick's defensive drafting has been piss f#cking poor and the trade down philosophy really has backfired on the defense. I hope they can make a big splash in FA next season and get someone who can sack the f#cking quarterback. Krafty, time to open up the purse strings and sign some defensive players that aren't fat and out of shape and on the wrong side of 30. How bout a defensive end/linebacker NOT looking for his third or fourth contract, but someone just coming off his FIRST contract? Right, Kraft's usually too cheap to get DEFENSIVE players looking for that big time SECOND contract.
It's a real shame that we probably only have two or three years of Tom Brady operating at his absolute best (awful picks last game aside) and the team is consistently one of the worst defenses in many very important categories in the entire f#cking league. I actually feel bad for Brady and the offense - if they don't score on almost every possession the team will lose....

Disagree, no 4 picks and we win. Easily.
That says nothing about the total lack of defensive football by the 2011 Patriots so far his season.
Disjoint events.

The excuse making and alibi creating on this board is amazing. The Patriots defense SUCKS and it has SUCKED for a long time when it's not masked by an offense that puts up 35 points (usually) at will OR by creating turnovers. This defense can't stop anyone and I simply cannot believe the amount of people on this board that make excuse after excuse for this team. They haven't had anyone who could get to the qb since Colvin's hip fell off....
Belichick's defensive drafting has been piss f#cking poor and the trade down philosophy really has backfired on the defense. I hope they can make a big splash in FA next season and get someone who can sack the f#cking quarterback. Krafty, time to open up the purse strings and sign some defensive players that aren't fat and out of shape and on the wrong side of 30. How bout a defensive end/linebacker NOT looking for his third or fourth contract, but someone just coming off his FIRST contract? Right, Kraft's usually too cheap to get DEFENSIVE players looking for that big time SECOND contract.
It's a real shame that we probably only have two or three years of Tom Brady operating at his absolute best (awful picks last game aside) and the team is consistently one of the worst defenses in many very important categories in the entire f#cking league. I actually feel bad for Brady and the offense - if they don't score on almost every possession the team will lose....
I really don't know how anyone could argue with your post,good job

It's exactly what this team is at this point.....a team with a defense that is what it is......this is a defense that seems to be filled with underachieving young players and fat,out of shape FA veterans who really have little left to offer which is why they were available to sign.

This feels like it's heading down a wrong path just as teams of the decade have done previously the past 4 decades...on a downward spiral and I really find it hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel....the offense is still one of the best in the league with a defense that is rock bottom....it's sad we are so one sided.

Even the biggest homers on this website can't be expecting a defense out of the lower half of the league to be tons better by December.....it may improve but at this level there is nothing but up.

Last edited:

Well, they could use their brains. The ol' "Krafty is cheap" argument. Seriously? This is your best shot? Idiocy. I won't even bother explaining why, because if you don't understand it by now, you never will.

I missed the Bills game (due to being in Ireland swilling Guinness and getting my arse kicked on the links courses), but I can see in a brief perusal of the board that once again, not achieving a 19-0 season has sent some fans to the funny farm.

Get it together, people. The NFL contains other teams that also have good players. Injuries sometimes prevent fielding your best units. Salary cap limitations mean you have to skimp in some places. Bad breaks/games happen. It's called "life".

I wish it was Guyton blitzing instead of Mayo. Guyton tends to forget how to cover a player.

Well, they could use their brains. The ol' "Krafty is cheap" argument. Seriously? This is your best shot? Idiocy. I won't even bother explaining why, because if you don't understand it by now, you never will.

I missed the Bills game (due to being in Ireland swilling Guinness and getting my arse kicked on the links courses), but I can see in a brief perusal of the board that once again, not achieving a 19-0 season has sent some fans to the funny farm.

Get it together, people. The NFL contains other teams that also have good players. Injuries sometimes prevent fielding your best units. Salary cap limitations mean you have to skimp in some places. Bad breaks/games happen. It's called "life".

Thank you for leaving the emerald greens of Ireland to bless us with your presence and all-knowing football knowledge. I feel much better now knowing that you didn't even watch the game and forgot to account for the 3 full seasons that have passed since the 18-1 season because those have no bearing on what people are referring to when they complain that the defense has not improved and actually regressed to what we saw on the field in Buffalo. I don't agree with the Kraft assessment, but he's got a damn good point about signing overage "has-beens" that have nothing left. BB struck gold with Rodney Harrison, Bryan Cox, Mike Vrabel and the likes back in the heyday. His track record for this has been abysmal the last five years and his drafting for defensive replacements has been mediocre at best. What pi$$e$ me off the most is that Brady is limited to the years he has left at this level and this offense is a dynamo, but the defense is an absolute joke.

Last edited:

Are the bills* cheaters? Spygate 2

They need to fork over their first round draft pick...

In the mean time special thanks should go to Fred Jackson
for making our coaches film study sessions easier. :rocker:

I dont think its excuse making, the team has won a lot of games with the defense sucking, its not a stretch to say they would have won if Brady didnt throw four picks Sunday. I know we wont win in the playoffs with this defense playing this way, what the hope is, is that the offense keeps winning games and the defense starts to play better as the year wears on.

In the meantime Ill be enjoying the games no matter how they win and keep my hopes up that the D starts to get it sooner rather than later.

If you look how Belichick calls defenses over the years. He often dials back the playbook early in the season only to open it up as the year goes on. I think 2005 is the extreme example where they totally opened the playbook in the second half vs. KC that year.

Especially with three starters/significant players out, they needed to dial it back. I don't even know if they blitzed once that game.

This is very strong revisionist history.

Belichick got fed up with Mangini in 2005 (who was a terrible DC) and started taking over the defense midway through the year. It wasn't some sort of magical plan that they scaled the playbook back early in 2005 and opened it up later in the season.

It's exactly what this team is at this point.....a team with a defense that is what it is......this is a defense that seems to be filled with underachieving young players and fat,out of shape FA veterans who really have little left to offer which is why they were available to sign.

This feels like it's heading down a wrong path just as teams of the decade have done previously the past 4 decades...on a downward spiral and I really find it hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel....the offense is still one of the best in the league with a defense that is rock bottom....it's sad we are so one sided.

Even the biggest homers on this website can't be expecting a defense out of the lower half of the league to be tons better by December.....it may improve but at this level there is nothing but up.

It's easy to argue that post because it's just beyond stupid. You only make it worse.

Patriots go up 21-0. defense makes 4 stops/ 2 ints

21-7. Drive to put game away turns into red zone int 21-10. Buffalo held to FG.

Buffalo with momentum stopped opening drive second half. Patriots have great field position to start closing game out.

INT, Bills momentum short field TD.

Patriots get field goal, Bills stopped two more times. Offense, AGAIN, has FOURTH time to close game out. Red zone pick.

Bills with momentum tie game.

PICK SIX, Bills lead

TD

FG.

The defense gave the offense five chances to close the game out and the reward was four picks with one a pick six.

Yet the idiots think the defense lost the game.

STUCK ON STUPID

Last edited:

This is very strong revisionist history.

Belichick got fed up with Mangini in 2005 (who was a terrible DC) and started taking over the defense midway through the year. It wasn't some sort of magical plan that they scaled the playbook back early in 2005 and opened it up later in the season.

That was the rumor, not neccessarily the facts. It's a rumor we all want to believe because we hate Mangini. Mangini obviously denied it happened and Belichick obviously never said anything one way or another which he would do if he did or didn't do it.

But the Pats did what I said last year too. The playbook early in the season was different than late because he did dial it back early. Happened in 2001 too although Belichick completely changed defensive systems midseason going from a 3-4 base to a 4-3 base.

I do agree that they didn't blitz because of injuries, but if I remember correctly they only blitzed twice against the Chargers too. It seems pretty clear that like other years, Belichick is slowly implementing the system rather than going guns (like he did against the Bucs in the preseason) until people learn their roles.

Last edited:

It's the NFL. It happens all the time. It's coaches and or players watching a lot of film. The only reason that we lost is that Brady threw 4 picks.

Fitzpatrick threw 2 INTS.

Thats only a difference of 2 turnovers and certainly not insurmountable.

OK....for all those that want to argue the point about the Patriots not willing to fork over the dough for a young free agent defensive end/linebacker - heck even a GOOD dback, not some old retread like Bodden, Duane Starks, et al? I want to say the last IMPACT defensive player they signed in free agency was Rosevelt Colvin in 2003. Colvin was 26 at the time and he was coming off back to back 10 or 11 sack seasons with Chicago. Good signing, and they got him relatively cheap for a guy entering his second contract. Colvin was an impact who made defensive plays when the team needed them. If not for injuries, he still might be on the Pats.
Please, anyone else name for me a defensive free agent signed to THEIR SECOND contract (not their own FA, someone from another team) by the New England Patriots? I'm not talking scrubinis like the guys they always sign - the 31/32 year old guy on the cheap signed to a one year "make good" contract.
The drafting on the defensive side of the ball has largely failed. Mayo's a nice player, Spikes is invisible, they've cut 90% of the defensive backs they've drafted over the last 3 or 4 seasons, save for Wilfork - the defensive line is filled with low round draft picks, old free agents, and street free agents...wait, I forgot about Jermaine "he'll be a 10 sack guy" Cunningham.
As Pats fans we NEED to face it - the drafting has been poor and the free agent acquisitions have been SUB PAR at best on the defensive side of the ball.

Fitzpatrick threw 2 INTS.

Thats only a difference of 2 turnovers and certainly not insurmountable.

Ya miss the pick six?

Who wins if you take those seven points off?

What about two net additional red zone picks?

Hello? Hello?

Beam 'em up, Scottie!

If you look how Belichick calls defenses over the years. He often dials back the playbook early in the season only to open it up as the year goes on. I think 2005 is the extreme example where they totally opened the playbook in the second half vs. KC that year.

Especially with three starters/significant players out, they needed to dial it back. I don't even know if they blitzed once that game.

Maybe I missed these games against the colts where BB starts to Dial up the Defense heading into 2nd Half of seasons, ie Nov & Dec

Nov 7 2005 Colts 40-21
Nov 5 2006 Colts 27-20
Jan 21 2007 Colts 38-34 (AFCC after Pats up 21-0)
Nov 4 2007 Pats 24-20
Nov 2 2008 Colts 18-15
Nov 15 2009 Colts 35-34 (Pats blow another big lead)
Nov 21 2010 Pats 31-28

Is this dialing up the defense ? Interestingly the lowest points allowed to the colts since last Pats SB win was in 2008, they year Brady was out. LOL

Maybe I missed these games against the colts where BB starts to Dial up the Defense heading into 2nd Half of seasons, ie Nov & Dec

Nov 7 2005 Colts 40-21
Nov 5 2006 Colts 27-20
Jan 21 2007 Colts 38-34 (AFCC after Pats up 21-0)
Nov 4 2007 Pats 24-20
Nov 2 2008 Colts 18-15
Nov 15 2009 Colts 35-34 (Pats blow another big lead)
Nov 21 2010 Pats 31-28

Is this dialing up the defense ? Interestingly the lowest points allowed to the colts since last Pats SB win was in 2008, they year Brady was out. LOL

Huh?!? Thanks for bringing up an irrelevant point to contradict me. What does one game a year say about anything?

Ok, I will go by your logic to say the Pats really blew it by tinkering with the defense because last year's defense was the best in the league. Why? Because they held to the Jets to three points in November.

Why are you choosing the Colts as your example anyway? So you chose the best offense the Pats consistently faced over the last decade that they rarely faced early in the season (2004 as the lone exception) as proof. Yet, you proved nothing. Maybe if the Pats faced the Colts every year twice a year and you could compare the two, then you would have something.

Ya miss the pick six?

Who wins if you take those seven points off?

What about two net additional red zone picks?

Hello? Hello?

Beam 'em up, Scottie!

Let alone that they scored 24 points off their turnovers (3 TD, 1 FG) and we scored 7 (1 TD, and a 3 & out).

Last edited:

Huh?!? Thanks for bringing up an irrelevant point to contradict me. What does one game a year say about anything?

Ok, I will go by your logic to say the Pats really blew it by tinkering with the defense because last year's defense was the best in the league. Why? Because they held to the Jets to three points in November.

Why are you choosing the Colts as your example anyway? So you chose the best offense the Pats consistently faced over the last decade that they rarely faced early in the season (2004 as the lone exception) as proof. Yet, you proved nothing. Maybe if the Pats faced the Colts every year twice a year and you could compare the two, then you would have something.

I brought data to contradict your absurd "theories" and "conjectures" about how the defense is dialed up in 2nd half of the year. After 2004 SB win that is not true.

You have not shown one piece of data to backup your claim how BB has dialed up the defense on 2nd half of years. Backup your claim and then your input will be relevant, else it is irrelevant.

Colts have been their #1 rival past 8 years including playoffs, unless ofcourse you'd rather think it is the Bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes