PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fred Jackson - RFA ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
KFFL has Fred Jackson listed as a restricted free agent.

He is not going to star in front of Marshawn Lynch.

If Bufflalo tenders him a low ball offer, we should sign him.
He looked great today and he runs hard (unlike Maroney).
Sammy Morris & Lamont Jordon are good players, but they both have
a problem staying healthy. They are also both getting a little long in the
tooth for a running back.

Agreed. Mentioned it earlier in the NFL forum. He's a good RB. Still, I think we've seen the future of the RB situation in NE: Committee, and probably a law-firm.

If it won't cost us much it might not be that bad of an idea. Guy has a great story behind him, one of those "kept chasing the dream" guys who seems to be greatful for every touch he gets.

I know he's still early in his career but I don't know if I have much faith left in Maroney. I think he wants it (not that he doesn't have heart) but I think he runs scared- won't take the big hit and doesn't keep his legs driving in piles.

They're not going to tender him that low. And unless we go big they're not going to let him go to a division team. He's very good. They're not paying Lynch that much money as he was picked 12th, so he makes a little less than Mayo give or take.

I'd rather let go of Jordan and keep Maroney and Morris while signing Sproles.

I'd rather let go of Jordan and keep Maroney and Morris while signing Sproles.

I also like Sproles.

I have a feeling Maroney is going to be playing for the Broncos next year (Just a guess). Shannahan loved Maroney when he came out of college and they to the zone blocking Maroney loves. I would not be suprised if we trade
Maroney to Denver. Maroney for a 2nd round pick?

I have not problem keeping Morris & Jordan for short money.
Adding Sproles or Jackson could only help.

I also like Sproles.

I have a feeling Maroney is going to be playing for the Broncos next year (Just a guess). Shannahan loved Maroney when he came out of college and they to the zone blocking Maroney loves. I would not be suprised if we trade

The good news is Morris is already signed through '10, and the Pats control BJGE's rights (at least) through then, too. :)

I agree.. Jackson runs hard.. something Maroney does not do.. I read this on CBS Sports site about him:

'Jackson is a free agent with exclusive rights to the Bills next season. That means Buffalo can either resign him or let him go.'

Not sure exactly what that means.. If they let him go, do they get picks from the team that signs him? Isn't that the difference between a restricted and an unrestricted FA? Looks like CBS' comment isn't clear on that part..

Not sure ready to throw the towel in on Maroney yet, he is not costing big bucks and only going into his 3rd season.. some backs take longer and he has been hurt..

I agree.. Jackson runs hard.. something Maroney does not do.. I read this on CBS Sports site about him:

'Jackson is a free agent with exclusive rights to the Bills next season. That means Buffalo can either resign him or let him go.'

Not sure exactly what that means.. If they let him go, do they get picks from the team that signs him? Isn't that the difference between a restricted and an unrestricted FA? Looks like CBS' comment isn't clear on that part..

No picks if they release him. If they do release him, he can sign with any team he chooses. If they offer him a contract, his only options are sign, hold out, or retire. [The same goes for Law Firm, BTW.]

I never heard of a ERFA before today.

I just found this info....

Exclusive-Rights Free Agents
Exclusive-Rights Free Agents (ERFAs) are players who have completed between 0-2 accrued seasons of service whose contracts have expired. If tendered, they have no negotiating rights with other clubs and must sign their tender with their old club or sit out the season.

Last edited:
Running backs are running backs. You can get a Fred Jackson clone in the 6th round of the draft. No need to give up a higher pick for him.

I don't see how that can possibly be true, he didn't appear in a game in 2006. Practice squad presumably. He should be an ERFA.

Googlish shows that NFL Forum :: - Bills UFA/RFA/ERFA's lists him as an ERFA.

If Fred Jackson is an ERFA, he can't leave.

Exclusive-Rights Free Agents (ERFA)

"An Exclusive-Rights Free Agent is an NFL player who is not under contract, but has only two years of NFL experience. If his former club makes him an offer at the three year veteran minimum salary, then that's it, he has to take it or leave the NFL. These guys have no right to negotiate with other teams. They are "free" only in the sense that they're free to quit."

Football 101: Free Agency

I also like Sproles.

I'd trade Maroney to Shannahan for their 4th round pick, assuming I couldn't get their 3rd, conditional .

Whether he's available or not, we have two straight ahead runners already. Morris and Jordan are bargains and offer everything Jackson does.

He had one fine game today. There's other players that had one fine game too.

By all means, lets give Maroney away because he's been injured. 4.3-4.5 ypc carry average really sucks.

Jackson is an ERFA.

KFFL has Fred Jackson listed as a restricted free agent.

He is not going to star in front of Marshawn Lynch.

If Bufflalo tenders him a low ball offer, we should sign him.
He looked great today and he runs hard (unlike Maroney).
Sammy Morris & Lamont Jordon are good players, but they both have
a problem staying healthy. They are also both getting a little long in the
tooth for a running back.

You know, that is a great point, because he a RB whose motor never stops. I love these types of players. He's a Patriot type player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing