Welcome to PatsFans.com

Fraud: Bodybuilding firefighter defies order to return to work

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

Offered his job back? He should be arrested and charged with fraud. This guy collecting $80 g's last year on the tax payers dime. The doctor should be investigated ASAP. This is how our money is whizzed away. Any loser looking for a free ride can find a doctor who'll give it to them. GROSS!!! :mad:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/07/bodybuilding_fi.html

Bodybuilding firefighter defies order to return to work

July 21, 2008 10:29 AM
    By Walter V. Robinson and Christopher Baxter, Globe Correspondents

[​IMG]
    Albert Arroyo
    A Boston firefighter who competed as a bodybuilder while on disability leave did not show up for work this morning despite being ordered back on the job by the fire commissioner.

Firefighter Albert Arroyo had been told to report for work as a fire inspector at 7 a.m. at the municipal building at 1010 Massachusetts Avenue. Commissioner Roderick J. Fraser Jr. warned Arroyo that if he did not return to work he could face termination.

"He has not communicated at all with the department," said a Fire Department spokesman, Steve MacDonald, who spoke to reporters outside the municipal building. "The commissioner has assigned the personnel chief to begin investigating why he did not show."

Arroyo, a firefighter since 1986, is assigned to the department's Fire Prevention Division, where he is responsible for inspecting homes and businesses to ensure that they comply with city fire codes. He filed for a disability pension in April after Dr. John F. Mahoney concluded that he was "totally and permanently" disabled from a back injury. On May 3, just 15 days after the doctor decided Arroyo could no longer work, the firefighter competed in a national bodybuilding competition and finished eighth.

On May 21, Fraser, citing the bodybuilding, asked the Boston Retirement Board to reject the application. The board, in turn, wrote Mahoney to ask if he stood by his diagnosis. Mahoney, without answering that question, responded on June 23 that he did not know Arroyo was a bodybuilder. The Fire Department quickly shifted Arroyo from injured leave at full pay and tax-free, to sick leave. Last Thursday, Fraser ordered Arroyo to show up today for his job as a fire inspector.
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

I agree, the man must be a loser. And he should be ordered to pay back every dime he was paid. No one on disabilty should be unfit to work yet healthy enough to enjoy playing sports and competing in bodybuilding.

This is complete BS.
  3. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

c'mon ....obviously the guy got steroids for his bad back and it had adverse effects. don't blame him for the six pack
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

Y'know biggles, you're right! The man is a VICTIM! How could we have missed that?;)
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

The sad part about your sarcasm, is that it's the exact logic people use when rationalizing fault elsewhere.
  6. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

merge this with the thread about the welfare pigs, they are both frauds. get them of the government teat.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

Hey, it's not that 400 pound womans fault that she's collecting SS disability, and has never had a job in her life. It's the systems dammit!
  8. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +96 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

I think that every City's fire Department is nothing but a hotbed of nepotism and corruption. Did you see the article last week in the Globe that they are neginning the rethink all those medical retirements from the Boston Fire Dept.

I can only hope that this guy is the tip of the iceberg and they all go to jail!!!!!!

The only reason they are bringin him back to work, is so he won't "talk"

I could never understand how fire Departments get away with all the crap that they do. They have ZERO integration! I know that the Fire Department down here in Savannah, is as lily white as Ted Kennedy's guest lists.
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

Is Savannah, GA an integrated town/city? I never thought much about how most fire dept.'s are mostly white. Do you think it could be because there isn't much interest from blacks? I have a black female friend who lives in Gwinnet county near Atlanta. She's always telling me how her white friends contest traffic tickets and get off without paying a fine, but most black folks end up with a reduced fine.
  10. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +96 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Savannah is about 50% black, and the Police force is about that, if not more, which is great. Becuase these Cops grew up here, and know the neighborhoods, and the trouble makers. I would not want to go into the "hood" without one of them. It just makes everyone safer. Plus they are great Cops.

HOWEVER, I just saw the graudating class of the Savannah Fire Dept, and it was completely White!!! And not a word about it.