PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Franchising Givens

Status
Not open for further replies.
who do you want to replace him?

dryheat44 said:
You are aware of the salary cap, right? What Kraft is willing to pay is irrelevant.

Don't forget that Adam missed two figgies from very makeable range in SB38, and two in the Denver playoff game.

Were those not important kicks? He's hardly automatic.
i agree, those kicks are important.
the kicks in denver would have altered the game had they been made. so he hurt us, and may have cost the game.
last year he was franchised and was paid the average, 100% chargeable against the CAP, for the top 3 kickers in the nfl.
this year AV was franchised and was paid the average for the top 3 kickers in the nfl, something like $2.4 million (all chargeable against the CAP).
if franchised this year, AV would be paid the average of the top 3 kickers in the nfl. i've read that that figure would be $3.1 million (all against the CAP), and that that is the figure BB/SP don't want to pay. hence they haven't franchised him.
but they also don't seem to want to sign him long-term either.
IMO signing him to a multiyear contract would lower his CAP NUMBER and put an end to this little cat-and-mouse game that goes on every year.
maybe i have this wrong. somebody please tell me so i can understand this better.
yeah, there's a salary cap, whether they pay him or not.the difference beween what they want to pay him and the franchise figure is, say, $2.4m/$3.1m. that's $700,000 that the patriots aren't willing to swallow because of the cap hit?

ilduce06410 said:
i agree, those kicks are important.
the kicks in denver would have altered the game had they been made. so he hurt us, and may have cost the game.
last year he was franchised and was paid the average, 100% chargeable against the CAP, for the top 3 kickers in the nfl.
this year AV was franchised and was paid the average for the top 3 kickers in the nfl, something like $2.4 million (all chargeable against the CAP).
if franchised this year, AV would be paid the average of the top 3 kickers in the nfl. i've read that that figure would be $3.1 million (all against the CAP), and that that is the figure BB/SP don't want to pay. hence they haven't franchised him.
but they also don't seem to want to sign him long-term either.
IMO signing him to a multiyear contract would lower his CAP NUMBER and put an end to this little cat-and-mouse game that goes on every year.
maybe i have this wrong. somebody please tell me so i can understand this better.
yeah, there's a salary cap, whether they pay him or not.the difference beween what they want to pay him and the franchise figure is, say, $2.4m/$3.1m. that's $700,000 that the patriots aren't willing to swallow because of the cap hit?

Well, some of your facts are wrong, but your point is valid. AV isn't due the average of the top 3 kickers. He is the top paid kicker, that would be a cut in pay for him. Refranchising a player gives him a one-year deal at 120% of last year's. Thats where the 3,010,000 figure (and cap charge) comes from. There's no way he'll make that. Belichick won't give it to him on principle (unless somehow the CBA is extended imminently). The Pats and he will either agree to a 2-3 year deal, or he'll be a free agent.

The Packers have said that they will not franchise Longwell. That could hurt Adam's leverage some. I'll be fine with Longwell at 2.25 million, or whatever it will take to sign him, as opposed to paying AV over 3 mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes