PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Franchise Tag Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

drakesta101

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I know one of the options the Patriots have is to revoke the franchise tag; is it possible that they REMOVE the franchise tag and afterwards sign him to a long-term extension? So, essentially what I am saying is that they agree to a long-term deal and then remove the tag so hes free to sign it as long as he doesn't agree to back out? I understand there was a deadline for extending contracts under the franchise agreement, but if it's removed, which I know they can do, would this be an option?

Last edited:
I know one of the options the Patriots have is to revoke the franchise tag; is it possible that they REMOVE the franchise tag and afterwards sign him to a long-term extension? So, essentially what I am saying is that they agree to a long-term deal and then remove the tag so hes free to sign it as long as he doesn't agree to back out? I understand there was a deadline for extending contracts under the franchise agreement, but if it's removed, which I know they can do, would this be an option?

From the CBA

Article XX section 2
d) Any of the required tenders set forth in this Section 2 may be withdrawn at any time, but if such
tender is withdrawn, the player immediately becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent and thereafter is completely
free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate
and sign a Player Contract with any such player, without any penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to,
Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period.

(k) Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 15 of the
League Year (or, if July 15 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the first Monday thereafter) for which the designation
takes effect to sign the player to a multi-year contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a
one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be extended
[FONT=&quot]until after the Club’s last regular season game.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
If the CBA only included the first clause, I'd say it's possible but you were risking the player reneging on the deal once you lifted the franchise tag and they could go sign elsewhere. The second clause ( I believe) answers your question in the negative by stating clearly that a franchise player can only sign a one year deal with his former club after July 15....
Just my $0.02 and certainly not a legal opinion,
[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Ya I believe thats right, restricted to just one year with the original team. I think Lance Briggs one year contract for the yeear was made after lifting this years tag.

My guess is no.

There are two sections in the CBA that talk about this.

"Any of the required tenders set forth in this Section 2 may be withdrawn at any time, but if such tender is withdrawn, the player immediately becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent and thereafter is completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any such player, without any penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period."​

"Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 15 of the League Year (or, if July 15 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the first Monday thereafter) for which the designation takes effect to sign the player to a multi-year contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be extended until after the Club’s last regular season game."

Does the prior club phrase takes precedence over the any club phrase?? IMO, yes. Otherwise, what would be the point of having a deadline??

See
http://www.patscap.com/franchise.pdf

for the portion of the CBA that deals with franchise players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down