PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Franchise Tag For McCourty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall an old statistic, that safeties are the cheapest position after Tight-ends (not counting Special teams-only players).

This stat may have changed. Does anyone know an approximate cost for safeties on the franchise tag next season?

It's certainly a reasonable leverage move, though not ideal.

I recall an old statistic, that safeties are the cheapest position after Tight-ends (not counting Special teams-only players).

This stat may have changed. Does anyone know an approximate cost for safeties on the franchise tag next season?

The 2014 safety franchise tag number was $8.43M. The 2013 number was $6.916M. I would expect about a $9M 2015 number.

Kickers are the cheapest to FT

Do not care for the franchise tag, as it usually leaves everybody at odds...

They can work this out.. be patient.

Whatever the league cap is the franchise tag number for safeties will be 6.713% of it.
League CapSafety Franchise Tag Number
$140,000,000$9,398,000
$141,000,000$9,465,000
$142,000,000$9,532,000
$143,000,000$9,600,000
$144,000,000$9,667,000
If the 2015 cap is $142 million and if McCourty is tagged again in 2016, McCourty's 2016 cap number will be $11.438 million, a 20% increase of his 2015 cap number.

I would like to see them sign him long term at about 7 or 8 million per but the pats don't pass out the 4 and 5 year big up front money contacts a whole lot so I could see him getting the tag but I would not be shocked if they let him test the market if his asking price is to high

I wouldnt be surprised if they let him go. Good player but some positions Belichick values more than othets.

they will work it out..just like revis....patience

Anything is possible. Especially with BB. Having said that, I believe Mc returns next year. And the FT isn't the worst way to get a good player in the fold. If Revis signs a long-term contract, Mc might need to accept the FT. 9M is not pocket change.

http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=902 is my blog in which I list some comparables and propose a deal between McCourty and the Patriots. Now believe that 8M APY is McCourty's floor.

8/$40M with around $19-23M guaranteed, a $10M signing bonus, and cap hits of around $5M, $8M, $8M, $9M and $10M would seem reasonable. Guarantee his first 2 years and possibly half of his 3rd. I think the guaranteed is more likely to be a sticking point than the AAV.

If they can keep this secondary together this team will be a favorite for the Lombardi for the rest of Brady's career. While so many fans were screaming for more weapons Belichick was putting together a top 5 defense, and the combination of an offense that averages 30 plus a game with a defense that keeps teams under 18 a game and can handle the best offenses in football is the real r recipe for rings. The secondary is the key to this defense and Belichick knows it and will keep them intact imo.

Have to wonder if McCourty ever thought to himself "they gave AH an extension after only two years and I have to wait five years to get my second contract".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back