PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Franchise tag and transition tag numbers released

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idiot Patriots could have kept Seymour, lost in the playoffs, tagged him for $12M and risk losing Wilfork for nothing. But NOOO they have to go and get a crappy 2011 1st round pick from the SB contending Raiders, and be stuck with a fat Wilfork for probably $7M!

BB is losing it.
:D 10chars

The idiot Patriots could have kept Seymour, lost in the playoffs, tagged him for $12M and risk losing Wilfork for nothing. But NOOO they have to go and get a crappy 2011 1st round pick from the SB contending Raiders, and be stuck with a fat Wilfork for probably $7M!

BB is losing it.

yep....you're right........the pats plan is ingeniuos.......current starting lineup (players under contract):

DL: warren,pryor,wright and brace as a backup
LB: crable,mayo,mckenzie,thomas.....with no subs

that's even worse than who was here when BB first showed up

WTF is anyone thinking???? maybe the plan is to never punt again and just go for it on every 4th down because the pats defense won't even be able to stop jamarcus russell!!!

yep....you're right........the pats plan is ingeniuos.......current starting lineup (players under contract):

WTF is anyone thinking???? maybe the plan is to never punt again and just go for it on every 4th down because the pats defense won't even be able to stop jamarcus russell!!!

Tanked...as usual.

How fitting

Last edited:

If this is the case, AFTER FREE AGENCY and adding 4 of the top 54 picks in the upcoming draft, then you might have a point, but I doubt it.

Per PFT: $7M for Vince if we tag him.....

I would think a long term contract at $8M/year is reasonable. It would pay Vince more than the franchise tag, and give him long security. But if he wants $10M/year and a long term deal, then tag him and trade him.

$437K per game which is why he won't be sitting out. Almost a million every two games. I don't give a crap about these players complaining about being Franchised, if we Franchised him twice he'd make at least $15.4 Million over two years (minimum 20% increase for the second tag) and then be an untaggable FA.

Good point. Exactly what I said last yr pertaining to the Julius Peppers situation. Although we can all agree that they want 'job security' etc more than anything, getting franchised isn't exactly the low point some of these players make it out to be.

Regarding the Peppers situation--just look at all the guaranteed money he got in the last 2 years + the guaranteed money he'll get this year too. If he gets franchised or if it's a long term deal, he'll still get 20+ guaranteed money just this upcoming year alone.

Couple that with the 25-30 million guaranteed he's gotten in the last 2 years, and he's easily looking at somewhere between 45-50 million guaranteed (in case of less than 1 % career ending injury) for 3 years work. He couldn't have possibly gotten anywhere closer than 75% of that in guaranteed money even IF he had signed a long-term deal.

(cue the homers who claimed he'd turn down millions for the 'prolific chance to play in foxborough, mass.' under a Pats friendly deal:eek:)

I know the two situations aren't comparable, but it's just one great example of still having great job security while getting tagged. In Wilfork's situation, he's still due to get somewhere around 30+ million in the next 2 yrs guaranteed, whether or not he plays under the tag or not. Just how much 'job security' does one need when dealing with millions and millions of dollars vs. an extremely low percentage chance of career ending injury?

Cry me a freaking river. In the worst case scenario, pay for an insurance policy (although the premium is high, but he can certainly afford it). In any scenario, don't criticize the team for using it's rules alloted options to get better--that's what we as fans pay for every week, whether it's game tickets and parking, or Sunday Ticket on Direct TV, game jerseys, etc.

I'm getting tired of the whining, and that's why it's even more of an absolute treasure to have found someone like Brady who realizes that even his 'great-great grandchildren' will be taken care of...no matter what.

I would think a long term contract at $8M/year is reasonable. It would pay Vince more than the franchise tag, and give him long security. But if he wants $10M/year and a long term deal, then tag him and trade him.

Agree totally with the average/per, and what should be considered 'fair.' I think your numbers are right on. If he expects more than about 8 per, then we can probably put the money to better use.

One can only wonder how far apart they'd then be on years of the deal though. I wonder if the Pats only want 3-4 yrs, compared to VW wanting a longer term deal--hopefully that won't get in the way.

Regardless of what happens, I'm not going to worry. I trust the Pats overall feeling more than my own.;) If they want to use the money to improve on other areas of the defense like in the earlier 01-04 years, then I'd like to assume that they'll have or get someone without too much downside.

You do realize that it is the average of the top 5 DT salaries in 2009.

Actually,it is the average of the Top 5 DT adjusted cap numbers (cap numbers minus LTBEs and offseason workout bonus money)

You do realize that only Tommy Harris made more as a DT in 2009.
USATODAY.com
says differently.

Well, at least you are consistent, post after post after post.

You don't even know who is on today's team, never mind 2000.

But even wrong, what you posted is better than we had in 2000 (the 5-11 season)

Did you lose a bet in your office or soemthing? A bet that you lost and either had to wear a dress to work or post stuff like this? As McEnroe said, "You CAN'T be serious!"

Miguel is right. Haynsworth is only GUARANTEED over $12M a year for the first four years of his contract.

BTW, I don't know why $100M over 7 years is considered misleading. He is guaranteed $48M over the first four years. The last three years totaling $52M are not guaranteed.

I don't think that it's unusual for a long-term contract to have ONLY 48% of the total guaranteed.

BTW, how much guaranteed money have the top three patriots received in their last contracts?

I stick with the booze

not a big fan of the hallucinogenic qualities of kool-aid

I like that, that kool-aid makes some folks turn into real know-it-all chumps.

Actually,it is the average of the Top 5 DT adjusted cap numbers (cap numbers minus LTBEs and offseason workout bonus money)

USATODAY.com
says differently.

You are right. I didn't factor in bonuses. I really didn't think to because bonus money is money paid for multiple years of service paid out in one lump sum. So eventhough Dorsey got $13 million last year, it wasn't pay soley for his 2009 season worth of work. So I was wrong not to factor that in.

But even in actual dollars he would almost be tied with the fifth highest paid DT from 2009 (Wilfork will make $4k less under the franchise tag). Still better than "ok" money. Still not the $10-15 million he would make this year under a new deal with his base salary and bonuses. I can see why he would be upset about that, but I also don't think he should be so insulted either.

You are right. I didn't factor in bonuses. I really didn't think to because bonus money is money paid for multiple years of service paid out in one lump sum. So eventhough Dorsey got $13 million last year, it wasn't pay soley for his 2009 season worth of work. So I was wrong not to factor that in.

But even in actual dollars he would almost be tied with the fifth highest paid DT from 2009 (Wilfork will make $4k less under the franchise tag). Still better than "ok" money. Still not the $10-15 million he would make this year under a new deal with his base salary and bonuses. I can see why he would be upset about that, but I also don't think he should be so insulted either.

So if you know that you could earn "X" number of dollars, and your contract was up, but your company exercised an option clause to keep you, and told you that they were only going to pay you half of what you could get elsewhere, you wouldn't be insulted?

Since we dont have a game tomorrow, your post is irrelevant.
If you eliminate every UFA,RFA and ERFA from everyones roster, every team in the league looks like that

Even if that were true, it would be more a condemnation of our recent drafts than our handling of veteran players at the end of their contracts. Good young talent is the lifeblood of any successful sports franchise - just look at the Colts. For exhibit B (the other side of the equation), look at the Redskins.

Last edited:
So if you know that you could earn "X" number of dollars, and your contract was up, but your company exercised an option clause to keep you, and told you that they were only going to pay you half of what you could get elsewhere, you wouldn't be insulted?

Add in that you were underpaid for the past six years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes