PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Franchise tag and the 2 first rounders thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pujo

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
How does the whole 2 first rounders thing work if a team opts to sign away a franchised player? Does the team always have to give up their own first rounders over the next two years, or can they satisfy the requirement with any first round picks (giving up a pick that was traded for). Also, what if a team has traded away all of its first round picks for the next 3 or 4 years, does the team who's player was taken have to wait until that time's over to get any compensation?

Finally, has it actually happened that a team's opted to sign somebody's franchise player?

Last edited:
How does the whole 2 first rounders thing work if a team opts to sign away a franchised player? Does the team always have to give up their own first rounders over the next two years, or can they satisfy the requirement with any first round picks (giving up a pick that was traded for). Also, what if a team has traded away all of its first round picks for the next 3 or 4 years, does the team who's player was taken have to wait until that time's over to get any compensation?

Finally, has it actually happened that a team's opted to sign somebody's franchise player?

in the event of a 'hostile takeover' (similar to when parcells signed curtis martin away giving up a 1st and a 3rd), I believe it would cost the signing team the next 2 first rounders they have and it would be the option of the original team to match the contract offer by the new team if they don't like the fact that the new teams first round picks aren't deemed valuable enough.......the only thing that gets inthe way of this is the 'poison pill' contract they come up with these days where the contract explodes if it gets matched (which the NFL tries to prevent but fails)......most frequently and likely is that a deal is struck between the 2 teams that would likely be more beneficial than some ridiculous contract (a weaker brand of collusion)

I think it's happened once.

In any case, as to the question of which picks, I believe there's a standing rule that says that you can use a higher pick than your own to "pay" for a tender, but you can't use a lower pick than your original pick. So, for example, if the Lions were to sign Cassel to an offer sheet, they would have to cough up the #1 overall pick for him; they could not use Dallas' pick. OTOH, the Patriots could sign an RFA given a second-round tender and use San Diego's pick for it.

If a team does not have the 1st rd pick available this year to make the trade, I don't think they are eligible to attempt to sign the player. I doubt the league would approve the deal.

For example, the Cowboys and Panthers don't have #1 picks this year. I don't think either of them are eligible to submit a contract for a franchised player this year. Because the Pats would have to wait till '10 and '11 to receive compensation.

I do believe the team that franchised the player has the right to negotiate different compensation though, right? So let's say Detroit wanted to sign Cassel, but didn't want to give up their #1 overall. If the Pats didn't have any other takers, they could negotiate getting the Lions pick from the Cowboys instead, couldn't they?

I do believe the team that franchised the player has the right to negotiate different compensation though, right? So let's say Detroit wanted to sign Cassel, but didn't want to give up their #1 overall. If the Pats didn't have any other takers, they could negotiate getting the Lions pick from the Cowboys instead, couldn't they?

Two different things.

I was talking about the possibility of a team offering a Franchised player a contract, and giving up the two 1st rd picks as per the CBA. Which I believe has only occured once.

Then there is a team negotiating with the franchising team to make a trade for less than the two 1st rd picks. Which is the more common route. It is what will most likely happen with Cassell.

Two different things.

I was talking about the possibility of a team offering a Franchised player a contract, and giving up the two 1st rd picks as per the CBA. Which I believe has only occured once.

Then there is a team negotiating with the franchising team to make a trade for less than the two 1st rd picks. Which is the more common route. It is what will most likely happen with Cassell.

Or more--not that it will happen here, obviously. After all, the Pats gave the LOLphins a 2 and a 7 for Welker.

I think the Cowboys signed Joey Galloway from the Seahawks.

-F

Thank you everyone for the responses. For some reason as I was falling asleep last night the question popped into my head. Though I knew I'd get an answer here so I was able to fall asleep anyway.

Depending upon what bounty we reap from Cassel, I'd honestly give some consideration to losing our next two first rounders for Asomugha. We're stacked with draft picks, stacked with developmental youth on defense, and will be adding much more youth to the mix this April. And there aren't any real short term upgrades to be had through this draft, so if we're going to try and upgrade this team for 09, it might have to be something dramatic like grabbing Asomugha.

Heck,we'll probably be picking #32 the next couple seasons anyway...

Last edited:
Depending upon what bounty we reap from Cassel, I'd honestly give some consideration to losing our next two first rounders for Asomugha. Especially since we'll probably be picking #32 the next couple seasons...

That's assuming the Pats have the option--there's a good chance the Raiders will once again slap the exclusive tag on him.

That's assuming the Pats have the option--there's a good chance the Raiders will once again slap the exclusive tag on him.

Good point.

I'm still hoping they run out of cap room and can't afford to tag him. As of now, they have 4 million in free space I believe. They'd have to clear some room to slap the tag on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes