Welcome to PatsFans.com

France beats New Zealand at Rugby

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by gomezcat, Oct 7, 2007.

1. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

France won 20-18. Given that most people would have predicted a victory for New Zealand by 20+ points, it is pretty damn amazing. NZ dominated possession, to the point where France made 100 odd tackles to the All Blacks' 20 odd. (Rugby points are pretty similar to Football ones: 5 for a touchdown, 3 for a drop kick or penalty goal and 2 for a conversion)
    It was quite a bizarre ending. Imagine the Pats having possession for 70% of the game, marching down field, running down the clock. Then, there is a minute or two left on the clock. They are down by 2 points, are about 25 yards out. Now, imagine that they keep trying to go for the go-ahead Touchdown. Why not go for the FG, you might ask?
    It's a question that the All Blacks will spend the next four years asking.

Oh, and England (again, heavy underdogs) beat Australia by taking them on in the forwards (who do the heavy work equivalent to the O and D lines) and getting right in their faces. It wasn't pretty but to misquote terribly:"ce n'est pas magnifique, mais c'est la guerre".

:rocker:

2. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +486 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

You know, as far as I can see, there's no way to watch the Rugby World Cup in the U.S., any more than there was to watch the Ashes. You'd think that somewhere in all of those channels someone would put it on. But it didn't worry me that much.

Seeing the Southern Hemisphere teams over the last ten years (confirmed in the last Lions tour) I had the impression that I was watching players who were so much "stronger and faster" that it was like watching athletes competing against East Germany in the bad old days. It's a pleasure to see the European teams knocking them off their perch -- although I don't think that it will do much about the overall balance of power.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  3. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The England game was great because the Aussie scrum was destroyed. They pulled down the scrum countless times and their ball was really scrappy. The All Blacks performance was tactically inept at times. In the last ten minutes, their tactics consisted of dig ball out of ruck, take into next ruck, recycle and, er, that's it. It was very strange to watch. I expected a lot more of them.
    I don't think England will beat the French because they can bring guys like Chabal off the bench. Still, it's been a better performance than any of us would have expected so far.

As for watching the semi final, there is sopcast, but it is dodgy in legal terms.

4. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I never watched rugby before and know nothing about it - other then its a mixture between soccar and football (I think).

5. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It is very different to soccer, although its origins are similar. It is much closer to Football. The fundamental differences are that you can only pass sideways or backwards, you must release the ball when you are tackled and hit the ground (making it much less stop-start and meaning that people pile over the ball to protect it), there are no downs (at least in the more popular version) and there are things called lineouts when the ball goes out of play. There is a lot more tactical kicking than Football, but the tackling, sidesteps and so on are pretty much the same. There's loads of other stuff as well...

I'll see what I can find by way of introduction. I think most hardcore Football fans would enjoy it, as it has the same mix of violence, skill and drama. It's easier to learn the rules than Football (which took me a long time, as a Brit, to get to grips with).

Meanwhile, this video gives a great sense of the power involved with some of the players. The player featured is France's Sebastian Chabal. He's the guy with long hair and a beard. Don't ask about the opponents' jerseys. :eek:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWacpi_C0Zg&mode=related&search=

6. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

That looks like a sport I could get into:singing:

And since you said so... I must... what is up with the pink jerseys?

7. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I thought you might like the clip. I have no idea why that team (based in Paris) wear pink. They are the only team that do.

8. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +486 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

9. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Nah, he's much more into sidestepping, the chip ahead, cut-out pass and so on. I saw him live for Sale against Leicester. He continually drove the Leicester pack backwards. There is a great article on him on the Times website. The rather unfortunate thing is that he is, erm, not English. :eek:

10. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +486 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

... and England beats France!

I couldn't get Sopcast to work, but I read the match report on the BBC web-site.

And I imagine that Mr Cat is celebrating as I type. Have one for me, Gomez -- but make sure that you've got some room left to do it all again next week!

11. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It was a fantastic result, even if our backs were against the wall in the first half. The way that the side has improved since the 36-0 drubbing is really quite amazing. I'm currently sharing a bottle of Champion Ale by Badger with my mate, as a bottle each would be too much; we've had rather a lot to drink.
    Mike, it occurred to me, earlier this evening, that there is video of each game on the official Rugby World Cup site. I'm not sure if it covers the US but you can try it:
    http://www.rugbyworldcupvideo.com/rwcplushome.aspx
    If you want to watch the final as a delay, let me (and the other Brits) know. That way, we won't post anything about the result on here and you can watch it as live. Apologies if that doesn't make sense....

12. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +486 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

Wonderful! Roll on next week!

13. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Wow. That was a pretty coherent post, given how drunk we were last night. If you get a spare 90 minutes, you could do worse than watch the semi final.
    As I said last night, the games are all delayed 24 hours.
    It was one of those typically tense games, which wasn't full of running Rugby but was incredibly dramatic.

14. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +486 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

Yes. I particularly admired the semi-colon. Good effort to see those little dots when the room is spinning ...

I had a look at the web site you kindly recommended and they are charging $49.95 to see the game(s) with 24 hours delay. Sounds pretty stiff to me for a murky view over the internet. This is going to be the busiest week ever, so I'll probably pass ...

15. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Thanks. My English teacher would have been proud of me, as would my parents. :D
    The Final is available on a pay per view basis, for £5.
    http://www.rugbyworldcupvideo.com/offers.aspx

It's a staggering achievement to see a side which was "lucky to score nil" against South Africa get to the final. I would back SA to beat England again, but it shouldn't be the massacre that it was last time.