PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FoxSports Radio: DeAngelo Hall will be traded by draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
No unfounded rumor. I heard him say it on Sirius NFL radio a few weeks back. Others on this board have confirmed the same in other thread.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=78854

I don't have that quote, but I do have another quote in print from him on the subject that is similiar to what he said on Sirius:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/...tries/2008/02/22/deangelo_hall_a_dolphin.html

So he said he didn't think the Pats would have interest in him then?
I do not know about that. I would have to say why would the Giants have interest in him etc.? He has a big mouth but is a big talent.
DW Toys

We give up Kaczur, Gutierrez and Sanders. Good deal all around.
DW Toys

Gutierrez has just about zero trade value. Sanders, I doubt more than a 5th. And if you trade away Kaczur, now you've got an even worse hole on the right side of the OL, and who knows if Neal is going to fully recover? Nice try at playing fantasy GM, but mostly this weakens the team. And I very much doubt that the Pats will trade away the #7 overall pick AND pay Hall 10M per year, even if they get Brookings and other goodies in return.

Gutierrez has just about zero trade value. Sanders, I doubt more than a 5th. And if you trade away Kaczur, now you've got an even worse hole on the right side of the OL, and who knows if Neal is going to fully recover? Nice try at playing fantasy GM, but mostly this weakens the team. And I very much doubt that the Pats will trade away the #7 overall pick AND pay Hall 10M per year, even if they get Brookings and other goodies in return.

Remember how Atlanta moved a second string QB named Schaubb for two second round (I believe) draft choices and the swapping of the firsts? Did not Schaubb start only one game (against the Pats)? Don't the Falcons wish they had him now? With all do respect, and I might not be as knowledgeable as you appear, Gutierrez happens to be better than any QB on the board this year (in 08) other than Ryan. Is that a fair statement? Every QB has an issue this year. Remember, Dimitroff likes Gutierrez.
I said not to trade for Hall if he is stuck on $10mm. I think Kaczur might go to guard this year but he is certainly replaceable. I believe O'Callahan is a much better pass blocker (see Strahan in game #17). A very early second rounder is more CAP friendly and brings us more weapons.
I appreciate your comments and I was saying this was my venture, not to be confused with Pioli or BB. Can you honestly say you would take any CB in this years draft over Hall? Of course not. Would you take any Safety in this years draft over Huff? Of course not. At least give me that much credit. Can they be had? Absolutely, but with an eye toward the CAP and money considerations. Brooking would work in our scheme and he might be a CAP casualty anyway.
Do we have any young LB with the upside of Carpenter? Nope! Can he be had? Yep!
I wouldn't want to give our #7 for Hall, although when you look at it it probably makes sense. If we take DRC at the seventh pick we have to guarantee him what.... $6.5mm? Does that seem smarter than picking up a guy who can start day one, was on a terrible team and still had his best year to date and he's only 24 years old? You tell me. Yep he has faults. We can pick apart everyone out there. Our Assante had 44 tackles and 6 picks. Let's face it, he was not a physical CB. Hall had 70 tackles and 5 pics. Samuel got like $9.5mm. Is DRC or Jenkins going to have 70 tackles next year and five picks? Will Teddy and Rodney let this kid run his mouth off in 08? You know the answer. If you get him to agree to the low to mid eights with some incentives he would be a reasonable addition.
Weakens the team? I disagree. Hall, Huff, Brooking and Carpenter can be done and we would be very much better than 07. Draft choices are now way too expensive and no resume. Until they fix it, why gamble? Does anyone get what I am saying?
DW Toys

I agree bring him in give atlanta the seventh pick in the draft in exchange for a second and third.
That would allow them to get a stud lineman and their qb.
We could have Hall, draft either groves, or avril.
Draft another cornerback like a falling flowers or talib.
And have alot of middle round picks for offensive lineman and linebacker projects.
As well as maybe trading for a vet like a jt.
Have the falcons throw in Brooking I know it never happen but that would be sweet!

I heard Belichick talk about Samuel in one of his more candid moments.

It's clear to me that Belichick thinks Samuel is mostly a product of B's system.

I don't know if that is truly how BB thinks (I didn't hear the quote), but I know that's somewhat similar to what I've been saying about Samuel the past two years...

Deangelo Hall in 08, if we got him we'd have 2 of the most ****iest corners in the league.
Cause for whatever reason Hobbs plays with so much pride and belief in his abilities which is good.
I think Hall could be a good move if were willing on giving him like 7 million a year which would be about what a unproven rookie would cost us.
The more I think about it the more i'm in for BB to and Pioli to at least have a interview with the guy and see what they come to.
Remember what We all said about Moss before he came here?

Many people around the league feel that Samuel is a product of the Pats system and that he is not a good man-to-man CB. I don't think it is just around here.

I personally think he is a bit overrated and agree that he isn't a great man-to-man CB, but I think he is a top CB as long as he is in a system that plays a lot of zone.

Bingo, and to go further, if the the Eagles think he's going to jam WR's at the LOS they've got another thing coming. Let's also remember that Asante got a lot of Safety help over the top, which allowed him to take those chances. I also think someone like Antoine Cason has the potential to develop into a better CB than Samuel, if the Patriots were to select him.

Remember how Atlanta moved a second string QB named Schaubb for two second round (I believe) draft choices and the swapping of the firsts? Did not Schaubb start only one game (against the Pats)? Don't the Falcons wish they had him now? With all do respect, and I might not be as knowledgeable as you appear, Gutierrez happens to be better than any QB on the board this year (in 08) other than Ryan. Is that a fair statement? Every QB has an issue this year. Remember, Dimitroff likes Gutierrez.
I said not to trade for Hall if he is stuck on $10mm. I think Kaczur might go to guard this year but he is certainly replaceable. I believe O'Callahan is a much better pass blocker (see Strahan in game #17). A very early second rounder is more CAP friendly and brings us more weapons.
I appreciate your comments and I was saying this was my venture, not to be confused with Pioli or BB. Can you honestly say you would take any CB in this years draft over Hall? Of course not. Would you take any Safety in this years draft over Huff? Of course not. At least give me that much credit. Can they be had? Absolutely, but with an eye toward the CAP and money considerations. Brooking would work in our scheme and he might be a CAP casualty anyway.
I wouldn't want to give our #7 for Hall, although when you look at it it probably makes sense. If we take DRC at the seventh pick we have to guarantee him what.... $6.5mm? Does that seem smarter than picking up a guy who can start day one, was on a terrible team and still had his best year to date and he's only 24 years old? You tell me. Yep he has faults. We can pick apart everyone out there. Our Assante had 44 tackles and 6 picks. Let's face it, he was not a physical CB. Hall had 70 tackles and 5 pics. Samuel got like $9.5mm. Is DRC or Jenkins going to have 70 tackles next year and five picks? Will Teddy and Rodney let this kid run his mouth off in 08? You know the answer. If you get him to agree to the low to mid eights with some incentives he would be a reasonable addition.
Weakens the team? I disagree. Hall, Huff, Brooking and Carpenter can be done and we would be very much better than 07. Draft choices are now way too expensive and no resume. Until they fix it, why gamble? Does anyone get what I am saying?
DW Toys

Let's get real. Guttierez was an undrafted rookie free agent last year. The Falcons could have drafted him in seven different rounds last year and didn't. Same with every other team in the league including the Patriots. What has he done to make him more valuable?

Schaub was a third round pick and had 4 or 5 career starts with Atlanta. He also had six career TDs before being traded. Not a heck of a lot of resume, but far more than Guttierez at this point.

As for whom the Pats take at 7, who knows if they will even keep the pick. Hopefully, they can trade down because I think the only people worth taking at that spot may be Gholston or McFadden assuming one drops that far. If it McFadden, the Pats hope to have two first round picks instead.

I don't know how many times I can say this about Hall. If Dimitroff feels that Hall is not a Patriots type of player, I am pretty sure that both Belichick and Pioli will agree.

Besides, does Hall even fit in the Pats system all that well. He seems to be more of a man-to-man CB where the Pats like to run zone schemes. I don't know if his skill set will be maximized in a zone scheme.

I guess we can argue this forever, but the odds of the Pats trading for Hall are pretty slim.

Gutierrez is a UDFA who has shown nothing. There's no way he's comparable to Schaub, who was actually getting a bit of hype on Sportscenter when he did well in a starting role. Gutierrez' trade value is a 7th round pick at the highest. Let's be realistic.

Kaczur is the only one among the bunch you mentioned that has any real trade value, but again you wildly overestimate what he's worth. He's going to be a 3rd round pick at best, not an early 2nd rounder which most teams value nearly as much as late 1st rounders.

I appreciate your comments and I was saying this was my venture, not to be confused with Pioli or BB. Can you honestly say you would take any CB in this years draft over Hall? Of course not.

Considering that I can trade down to the teens, and pay much LESS than 10M per year, there are 3 or 4 corners in this draft I'd rather have over Hall, YES. Let's see McKelvin, DRC, Cason, Jenkins to name a few.

Would you take any Safety in this years draft over Huff? Of course not. At least give me that much credit. Can they be had? Absolutely, but with an eye toward the CAP and money considerations. Brooking would work in our scheme and he might be a CAP casualty anyway.

The safeties in this draft suck. But frankly I don't see the attachment to Huff. He came into the league and struggled mightily. Whitner in Buffalo looks to be a much better safety. Maybe it's the system that is causing Huff trouble? If so, how could he possibly handle the Pats complex schemes? Again I don't buy the hype in Huff. What were you planning to pay for him anyways, a box of donuts and a 7th round pick? I doubt the Raiders are ready to give up on him for no real compensation. They'll be twice as wary to give him up after the Randy Moss ripoff... err trade. The other factor against a Huff trade - SALARY. He's got a 6 year 43M dollar contract. So whatever team picks him up is going to have to pay 5-6M per for an unproven safety who has been a bust so far. I don't think the Pats are looking to pay any safety that much, unless his name is Ed Reed, a proven all pro safety.

Why are we collecting other teams' busts again? How did the Bethel Johnson for Sullivan swap work out? Guys are busts for a reason. You don't give up picks for busts, it's generally not how you improve your team.

Hall is all about the money. He wants big money and he's a team cancer. If he were a team cancer and were willing to take less pay, he might be a consideration, as the Pats have turned around guys like Corey Dillon. But team cancer + wants big bucks + we need to trade a high 1st round pick = NO DEAL. I don't see what Asante has to do with this, but good job bashing him on his way out the door...

DW Toys

You destroy depth on the right side of the offensive line, you attempt to pick up contracts for busts that would overload the Pats salary cap, and you want to trade for a team cancer that wants 10M per year. So overall yes, those moves would weaken the Patriots. Just trading for big names is not how you build a good team. Thats the Snyder way of team building. And look how BAD the Redskins are each year. Barely good enough to make the playoffs, only to be dismissed in the 1st round the years that they do make it.

I prefer to see the Patriots in the hunt for the SB championship each year. That means smart trades and smart cap management. Not knee jerk trades for "big names" the moment a "big name" comes available. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but when you add up those moves, they don't make sense for the Patriots.

Gutierrez is a UDFA who has shown nothing. There's no way he's comparable to Schaub, who was actually getting a bit of hype on Sportscenter when he did well in a starting role. Gutierrez' trade value is a 7th round pick at the highest. Let's be realistic.

Kaczur is the only one among the bunch you mentioned that has any real trade value, but again you wildly overestimate what he's worth. He's going to be a 3rd round pick at best, not an early 2nd rounder which most teams value nearly as much as late 1st rounders.

Considering that I can trade down to the teens, and pay much LESS than 10M per year, there are 3 or 4 corners in this draft I'd rather have over Hall, YES. Let's see McKelvin, DRC, Cason, Jenkins to name a few.

The safeties in this draft suck. But frankly I don't see the attachment to Huff. He came into the league and struggled mightily. Whitner in Buffalo looks to be a much better safety. Maybe it's the system that is causing Huff trouble? If so, how could he possibly handle the Pats complex schemes? Again I don't buy the hype in Huff. What were you planning to pay for him anyways, a box of donuts and a 7th round pick? I doubt the Raiders are ready to give up on him for no real compensation. They'll be twice as wary to give him up after the Randy Moss ripoff... err trade. The other factor against a Huff trade - SALARY. He's got a 6 year 43M dollar contract. So whatever team picks him up is going to have to pay 5-6M per for an unproven safety who has been a bust so far. I don't think the Pats are looking to pay any safety that much, unless his name is Ed Reed, a proven all pro safety.

Why are we collecting other teams' busts again? How did the Bethel Johnson for Sullivan swap work out? Guys are busts for a reason. You don't give up picks for busts, it's generally not how you improve your team.

Hall is all about the money. He wants big money and he's a team cancer. If he were a team cancer and were willing to take less pay, he might be a consideration, as the Pats have turned around guys like Corey Dillon. But team cancer + wants big bucks + we need to trade a high 1st round pick = NO DEAL. I don't see what Asante has to do with this, but good job bashing him on his way out the door...

You destroy depth on the right side of the offensive line, you attempt to pick up contracts for busts that would overload the Pats salary cap, and you want to trade for a team cancer that wants 10M per year. So overall yes, those moves would weaken the Patriots. Just trading for big names is not how you build a good team. Thats the Snyder way of team building. And look how BAD the Redskins are each year. Barely good enough to make the playoffs, only to be dismissed in the 1st round the years that they do make it.

I prefer to see the Patriots in the hunt for the SB championship each year. That means smart trades and smart cap management. Not knee jerk trades for "big names" the moment a "big name" comes available. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but when you add up those moves, they don't make sense for the Patriots.

O.K. You win. You are much smarter than I am about these things. But I guess you missed my whole point. I think that the draft right now is unrealistic. Unproven players at that #7 slot are going to command $6.5mm per year. I would take a survey and guess that 90% of the fans on this site would take Hall for a low to mid $8mm than and unproven Jenkins etc. $6.5mm. Come on cousin.....you really agree with that logic too! I am not enamored with the Hall "star" power. Look at his stats. He had as good, if not a better season than Samuel on a crap team. He's only 24 years old (3 years younger than AS). I am not bashing AS. He served us well but the money thing gets tiresome. I am starting to buy into the fact that he was a system player here. Look at how much N.O. paid Gay? I also said if they have to pay Hall $10mm to pass IMO.

I am not the GM or coach. That is Pioli and BB. I was just toying with an idea in all due respect, and I appreciate your feedback.

I do not understand your argument that Gutierrez is a 7th rounder and Kaczur a 3rd rounder? That all makes no difference in this deal. They are just pieces that fit in the trade because of Atlanta needs and more than just the #31 first round pick that is on the table by the Giants for Hall. We need a CB more than the Giants, let's face it. I am saying if the Falcons swap our first pick for their second for Hall, they will want more than that. They need an OT. We have 3 we could deal. I think you throw a blanket over O'Callaghan and Kaczur. Nick got busted in the SB. Ryan held his own against Strahan in game #17 without much help and his performance was well noted. The Falcons GM likes Gutierrez. Kaczur is the key piece for them. But if they don't draft Matt Ryan, who is their QB? Redmond???? Matt G. would have a reasonable chance to start at some time.

Your are a smart gent. After Ryan who would you say at QB has the intangibles better than Gutierrez in 08? This QB class is weak I admit, but someone is going to throw a first day for Henne or Brohm??? All I am saying is he is a need for them, is a familiar commodity to their GM, and would be our 2nd QB in 08 (so someone here thinks highly of him).

Brooking is a toy for us in the deal. He is a rumored CAP cut because of a $10mm salary still owed. He fits nicely here. We need him. Break it down like this if you prefer. Hall for the Pats #7 and then Kaczur and Gutierrez for potential CAP cut Brooking and their #2.

Huff is also 24. check his stats, not his "star" name. He has more tackles than all of our safeties together almost. He is a potential star on the rise and we get him for a #2 and a #6 (say , wasn't Welker a #2 pic and a #7 pic?). His $6.5mm salary is what you would have to pay for an unknown at #7 if there was a safety available there. He is far from a bust. Who are we starting that is better right now? Yes Rodney but time marches on. I said now. Is there a Safety available that is better in the draft?

Now lets talk Carpenter. Bust? He got hurt in preseason and was vying for the start there so he was not a JAG. After he healed, he could not get another shot. For our late third or fourth rounder pick do you have anyone on your "board" who is better? Or are they guys who "could have potential". Carpenter isn't starting but has more upside than Seward and who I believe who will cost us just one less round. Carpenter is a superb ST guy. He is someone the Pats considered drafting. Remember he has been nicked. We all know BB isn't into rookie LB choices. Look at Mays, Woods and Alexander...disasters. He likes them with a little dirt and time on them. Can't you see a little "Vrabel" scenario here with Carpenter? Here's a shock. Right now if we pull the trigger on Carpenter, wouldn't he be out #4 LB today over anyone else here and signed?

Thanks for your thoughts.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes