PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FoxSports Radio: DeAngelo Hall will be traded by draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedogc

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Sorry for no link, but I heard this in the car this morning. I missed where they said this was coming from, but they said sources said that DeAngelo Hall will be traded by, or during the draft. And they said that two teams are interested so far. I wonder if one of them are the Pats. And what it would take to get him.

i do not get this
1)We trade a high round pick for this guy who has 1 yr on his contract
2)Pay him on a new contract close or better than samuel.
3)Hope to god he fits in our system and can excel.....

wouldn`t it be cheaper to sign samuel and not loose the pick or gamble on if he can play in our system as samuel was a playmaker in this system?.I am just curious if someone can explain this to me.

Last edited:
I can see how alot of the vets around here who patrol the site far more frequently than myself can get over all the FA movement talk after a while. It seems like every single player available on the market or being moved is rumored to come here. Hall is NOT coming to NE. He's a young guy looking to get paid. And he's a big mouth. He'll end up with a lesser team and eventually end up with a Asante Samuel-type contract. That aint happenin' in NE.

Seriously. He is not Patriots material.

DeAngelo Hall would easily replace Asante Samuel anybody who thinks other wise needs brain surgery. People Ellis i CANNOT COVER ANBODY Hobbs is listed as our number 1 CB. If that doesn't scare anybody here our ego's as fans are bigger than we think. People BB cannot scheme to protect Hobbs...he's simply not that good. DeAngelo Hall would be a perfect replacement for Asante Samuel that's who we are replacing here. We know how Good Asante is...DeAngelo Hall is even better. The Patriots NEED to jump on this...we have picks that can get the deal done.

Last edited:
Meh. I'd rather address OLB, ILB or OL before upgrading CB over what we have. If we improve our pass rush, Hobbs, Webster, whoever else we get, will perform as well as Asante did.

Meh. I'd rather address OLB, ILB or OL before upgrading CB over what we have. If we improve our pass rush, Hobbs, Webster, whoever else we get, will perform as well as Asante did.

Give me some of what you're somking.:wha:

I don't think the statement is accurate, if you think they'll improve to Asante's level, then you can also assume Asante's level of play would have increased. I think Hall would be over kill unless we get him for short money for a year. I think we need to adddress our linebacker corp and add some youth, then see what we can add to our pass coverage.

It's funny, everytime I write or read something about what the Pats need to do to improve, I remember who our coach is and laugh that posters, including myself sometimes think we know what were talking about compared to Belichick ! I guess we do it because it's for fun !

DeAngelo Hall would easily replace Asante Samuel anybody who thinks other wise needs brain surgery. People Ellis i CANNOT COVER ANBODY Hobbs is listed as our number 1 CB. If that doesn't scare anybody here our ego's as fans are bigger than we think. People BB cannot scheme to protect Hobbs...he's simply not that good. DeAngelo Hall would be a perfect replacement for Asante Samuel that's who we are replacing here. We know how Good Asante is...DeAngelo Hall is even better. The Patriots NEED to jump on this...we have picks that can get the deal done.

Do you realize how much money its going to take to acquire and KEEP Hall on this team? He has one year left on his rookie contract. After that, he's going to make $8 or 9 mil a year. And that's simply not going to work here. Not with a guy this team knows nothing about. If they werent willing to give that dough to Samuel. Someone they knew well, and groomed, and who was already respected by the other players. You dont bring a loud-mouthed player in from a losing team and pay him nearly as much coin as Brady or Moss. He's a good player. But he'll be a good player on another team.

I heard Belichick talk about Samuel in one of his more candid moments.

It's clear to me that Belichick thinks Samuel is mostly a product of B's system.

The only way this works is if he is willing to come here at 6-8 mil (a few mil below market), He is not a FA and if he wants to make the trade work he may have to take a little less than open market value which could make this work. If he is dead set on getting paid like asante and clement than we will not be in the running because as someone pointed out we could have just kept asante than.

I heard Belichick talk about Samuel in one of his more candid moments.

It's clear to me that Belichick thinks Samuel is mostly a product of B's system.

And it would be tough to argue with him of all people. And Im sure we all hated to see Samuel walk, there really was no choice. The team sold out and paid him big for one last season, and still couldnt quite get it done. But theyve won with many, many different players manning that CB position, ranging from highly paid Ty Law types to nobody Samuel and Gay types.

CB is a valuable position. But it doesnt mean the position has to be highly paid to be solid. I think whether we draft a potential Samuel replacement in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd, and whether its Mike Jenkins, Aghib Talib or the Cromartie kid, or a lower valued guy like Brandon Flowers or the kid from LSU, we're filling that spot with someone who's going to fit, going to play well, and who's going to help this team win playoff games. No doubt.

I think Ty Law was an elite cb during his time on the Pats. Asante is good. But, he's no Ty Law. He's at that level below the top notch cb's. The Eagles seem to think he takes the other teams best wr every game. Do they watch tape? I'm not sure there are any elite cb's now that C.Bailey has lost a step. I think we're better served drafting a couple. They will be cheaper. And, in a year or two might be just as good.

Hmmmm..... Give up a decent draft pick to get a CB who isn't as good as Samuel, but will require a Samuel type contract or a franchise tag (which he will probably try to sit out if he gets) to keep after this year? And he has an attutide problem to boot? Where do I sign up.

Although I do think upgrading the CB position is a priority, I also think:

A.) Hobbs is not nearly as bad as some make him out to be. He is actually better on the left side, but so was Samuel. I could see them moving him back and have him be pretty darn good.
B.) Hall wants Samuel money and he isn't as good and it will probably take a second or third rounder to get him. If we are willing to give up that much for Hall, why didn't we just keep Samuel?
C.) LB is our biggest priority at this point. As I see it we desperately need one more starting quality LB and at least another one who can rotate with Bruschi. We could also use some more depth at that position since depth hurt us a bit last year after Colvin went down.
D.) I don't see the OL as a priority over CB though. I think we need to upgrade the right side of the line which can easily be done in the middle rounds of the draft. We had a different starting RT in each of our Super Bowls. Our left side of the line and center are all set.

My personal vote is no to DeAngelo Hall.

Seriously. He is not Patriots material.

And Dillon and Moss were? Honestly, I get pretty tired of this kind of perspective. I understand it with the Pacman speculation, but DeAngelo hall hasn't really been in any legal trouble I can think of. Yeah, he has a bit of an attitude, and is an egomaniac, but that describes plenty of NFL players, and plenty who have played for the Patriots. He's still immensely talented.

Given the choice between the Hall speculation and the Pacman speculation, I would take Hall every day of the week. The only downside is that he's likely going to cost a good deal more.

dood, that would be so sweet! Hall has like a 98 speed rating in madden!

i'd rather blow the #7 on a new cornerback, and i'd rather address linebacker before that happens.

Give me some of what you're somking.:wha:

Asante = moderately overrated. He was good in the soft zone, good in the cover-3. But if we stick w the same style of D and big cushions again next year then the performance of the corners will have a lot to do with the effectiveness of the pass rush.

Just look at the Super Bowl. Giants secondary is weak, but it didn't matter one bit b/c there wasn't enough time for the receivers to exploit them.

Last edited:
And Dillon and Moss were? Honestly, I get pretty tired of this kind of perspective. I understand it with the Pacman speculation, but DeAngelo hall hasn't really been in any legal trouble I can think of. Yeah, he has a bit of an attitude, and is an egomaniac, but that describes plenty of NFL players, and plenty who have played for the Patriots. He's still immensely talented.

Given the choice between the Hall speculation and the Pacman speculation, I would take Hall every day of the week. The only downside is that he's likely going to cost a good deal more.

Hall isn't the player that Dillon was or Moss is. Also, both Dillon and Moss took "prove it to me" deals to come to the Pats. Hall wants "You know what I am so pay me" deal right now. So there is no way I see the situations are the same between Hall and Moss or Dillon unless the Pats only have to give up a fourth rounder or less (yeah, I know the Pats gave up a second for Dillon, but he took a way below market deal to come here) and Hall agrees to play out his deal or the Pats or we trade for Hall for more and he takes a multiyear deal well below his demands of $10 million a year (like $5-6 million a year). I definitely don't see the later happening and I doubt the former will either.

Asante = moderately overrated. He was good in the soft zone, good in the cover-3.

I feel like if people keep saying this enough, he's going to become decidedly underrated. People seem to be bucking against the opinion that Asante was the best cornerback in the league, the problem with that being that I don't think anybody was actually of that opinion. In general, I think people around here have been pretty modest in their assessments of Asante's talent (which is a common defense mechanism when you know someone's walking). He's well better than average, maybe even very good, but not "great". I think that's the majority opinion. I don't know who you still think is overrating him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes