PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FoxSports.com - Patriots Will Not Win the Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realize the situation you're in... the conversation for most teams is whether they'll make the playoffs, win the division, or have a shot at the Super Bowl. The conversation every year is whether the Patriots can be beat and whether they will win the Super Bowl this year....that's where the bar is set.

The reason people say the Patriots are arrogant isn't because the team says these things. The football world says these things and it irritates people so they project what the media and other people say onto the Patriots and their fan base. They hate that the media talks about the Patriots all of the time but there isn't a team that tries to avoid notice more than the Patriots. Just look at the collective cheers when something bad happens to the Patriots...name another team like that. When Big Ben or Luck get hurt, is there spontaneous cheering pouring out of every bar, stadium, and home? Brady goes down and people have parties.

I just double checked his work and he is correct. The team with the best record/favorite has won only two SB's since 2000. I didn't read the article so I'm not sure if he pointed this out but guess which franchise took home the title as favorites. That's right....Our New England Patriots (2003 & 2014). So we are the only franchise in the league to defy this phenomenon.

No one disputes that his numbers are correct. They're just entirely irrelevant. A 14-2 team's performance in a given year is completely independent of a 14-2 team's record in the following year.

Being the best team in the NFL over the course of the regular season in no way reduces one's odds of winning the SB. It doesn't guarantee a SB win, but it certainly doesn't hinder the ability to win it all.

That's really going out on a limb. What brave analysis to "go against the grain" like that. :rolleyes:

That article is a huge, lazy missed opportunity, because there's a real phenomenon he's talking about and he completely fails to analyze it.

Pick any ONE team, any year, and of course the chances are that they won't win. 12 teams make the playoffs, after all. But is the #1 team less likely than other teams to win it all? Has that changed from past generations? And why bother even writing the article if you're not even going to ask those questions???
Precisely. Going only by the 12 teams that actually CAN win the super bowl each year once the playoff teams are decided, if you were going by a purely even odds situation the best team should win once every 12 years. The fact that it's happened once in 16 years is close enough to be considered a normal statistical variance in my opinion.

These are both great posts. I agree with the first one that it is idiotic to write about a phenomenon without examining why that phenomenon is occurring. And the second post probably explains why it's occurring. I wonder if you guys have science backgrounds? :) Sportswriting would be of so much better quality if they were able to do these two things consistently.

It's a filler article that says nothing everyone doesn't already know. "I need a story. Any story will do." There's really not likely to be anything more to it than that.

Yeah, I know, but it's maddening to watch the blind squirrel actually find a nut...and then not bother to pick it up.

He hit on an interesting question and then couldn't bring himself to devote 10 minutes of internet research to find out who WAS winning when then #1 seeds weren't.

sfun_banghead.gif

I didn't read the article so I'm not sure if he pointed this out but guess which franchise took home the title as favorites. That's right....Our New England Patriots (2003 & 2014). So we are the only franchise in the league to defy this phenomenon.

2014 was tricky....Pats and Seahawks had same record, both were #1 seeds, and the line was pick'em (according to pro-footballreference.com)

Which makes his article even more stupid. "Best record doesn't win the SB, although the 2 times it has happened in the last 15 years was the team that i'm saying won't win" Just an utter contradiction because the guys identity as a writer is hating the Patriots.

Chris Chase the steelers fan writes an article why the pats won't win after the steelers get stomped on in pittsburgh....

What's next--bold predictions from that great football mind, Max Kellerman?

If you have to stake your life on any one team winning the Super Bowl, the best place to place that bet is on the New England Patriots.

If you have to stake your life on either the Patriots or anyone but the Patriots, the best place to place that bet is on anyone but the Patriots.

If you have to stake your life on any one team winning the Super Bowl, the best place to place that bet is on the New England Patriots.

If you have to stake your life on either the Patriots or anyone but the Patriots, the best place to place that bet is on anyone but the Patriots.

This

Making this thread for after Super Bowl 51.

I received my daily Patriots news in my Google Allo app (if you don't use that, download it) and saw this gem:

Why the New England Patriots won't win the Super Bowl

Don't give them clicks but I will excerpt here:

His argument is that the best team does NOT win the Super Bowl.
This is very much like ol' Pete Prisco's argument in 03 and 04 that the Pats COULDN'T beat Indianapolis because Indianapolis has "more stars":rolleyes:

Best record in the regular season only guarantees you make the playoffs and homefield advantage. The odds of a team not making the SB is greater then the odds that they will. The author could make the same claim about each team and still be right 31 out of 32 times. The 2001 and 2007 Patriots SB teams pretty well sums up how hard it is to predict SB winners.

I was wondering where Chris Chase went........ this guy made a living out of stupid click bait articles on Yahoo and now I guess he found a position at Fox Sports. Chris Chase just writes **** to get reactions.

I'd hate to be in the print media - it's a depression there. Fewer people to crank out articles, with incentives to say anything click-worthy.

So many variables mid-season. Our injuries. Opponents injuries. Which players are hot or flat?

But I like our chances.

Chris Chase. All you need to know.
Chris Chase was a hater when he worked for U S A Today what's the proverb about "U can't teach an old dog new tricks"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes