Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
NFL - - FOX Sports on MSN
Updated: July 8, 2009, 7:57 PM EDT

SUMMER TWO-A-DAYS
In our ongoing summer series, Peter Schrager takes on five key questions per division.

Ah, early July. In the world of NFL fandom, it's pure purgatory. Post-draft and OTAs, yet still a few weeks away from summer camps and actual preseason action — you just hold your tongue and watch the calendar. You feign interest in things like baseball and your family, but you're really just thinking football.

Over the next few weeks, we'll tackle five early summer questions for each NFL division.

Today's two-a-days: AFC East | NFC West

AFC East

1. Tom Brady's back, there were veteran offseason free agent signings all over, and the Patriots are the Vegas favorites to win Super Bowl XLIV. Are there any areas of concern in New England?

-----

4. Who the heck is Anthony Armstrong, and why should the rest of the NFL take notice?

Want a fantasy football "sleeper" this year that not every one of your buddies knows about already? Spend a last-round pick on Miami Dolphins wide receiver Anthony Armstrong. Who the hell is Anthony Armstrong?

Good question.

Of course, he does try to make things worse than they are:

So, is there anything to be worried about? Well, Brady going down, for one. The Patriots were fortunate last season. Matt Cassel had an MVP-caliber season and — after a shaky start — found his groove. But second-year man Kevin O'Connell is the back-up this season. If Brady were to go down, there would be the same feelings of uncertainty and mass hysteria after Week 1 last year — only O'Connell wouldn't have the good fortune of having Josh McDaniels in his corner, guiding him every step of the way. For as little experience as Cassel had on the field, he was a legitimate NFL backup and a veteran quarterback. O'Connell's still a young kid.

Ummm . . . maybe I'm missing something here, but didn't the Pats have another QB who only had one season to develop, only threw a few pass attempts his first season, who didn't have McDaniels as his OC, but still did kinda OK? :confused:

Not to mention the fact that O'Connell would have better offensive weapons available to him this year than Cassel did last year, and the fact that the Patriots had opportunities to bring someone else in if they so chose, but elected not to. . . .

Of course, he does try to make things worse than they are:

Ummm . . . maybe I'm missing something here, but didn't the Pats have another QB who only had one season to develop, only threw a few pass attempts his first season, who didn't have McDaniels as his OC, but still did kinda OK? :confused:

Not to mention the fact that O'Connell would have better offensive weapons available to him this year than Cassel did last year, and the fact that the Patriots had opportunities to bring someone else in if they so chose, but elected not to. . . .
Going to dredge up "ancient" history and try to rub a "journalist's" nose in it are we? :snob:

EDIT: You know what they say about those who ignore history? They get remedial work with Coach Belichick.

Last edited:
I was away while Pace was suspended, that's news to me. Hmm. Should make Week 2 a little easier.

Last edited:
I think this comment about sums it up:
manniefresh 7/10/2009 12:35:09 PM

You have to be on crack to not think the Pat's have a very good chance to go to the SuperBowl. They were 11-5 with a backup...a backup. i'm not givin' them the trophy. 16-0 aint nothing to sqawk at. For the record I'ma Dolfan, I hate the Pat's...but I aint blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes