PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Foxboro stadium farewell... in the middle of a Northeaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great finds,thanks!
I'm so ready for some football and it's only March...

That was great to see that clip again. Many fond memories of my younger years in Foxboro's parking lot, tailgating with my buddies. For some reason, I remember that very clearly! Not so much anything after!!!! LOL!!!

It's funny how when you watch something about and old, dumpy, crappy stadium that was absolute sheer hell to get in and out of on a Sunday makes you feel all sentimental.

Thank you.

Watching that again Madden and the other guy sounded like they were about to fall asleep. That was arguably the greatest ending even in a Superbowl and they sound so ho hum and unsuprised in their tone.

at the time, i didn't hear much of the post game until the trophy presentation because my friends and i were screaming at the top of our lungs. but, remember that the CW before the game was a Rams' blowout and virtually all of the media were part of it, including those two. then, after Madden had said that the Pats should play for OT, they were probably in some sort of shock. madden quickly figures out that the tape will be played forever and he looks like a fool, so they were trying to recover. (the most interesting line was when madden admits that he'd seen Brady on TV before the game but didn't know much about him. then they put up the graphic that shows the Rams' scoring 14 unanswered points after Tebucky's TD was called back. they were getting ready to spin the story that this was the great Rams' comeback but, oops, the patriots won and they got blindsided.) the producer was probably screaming in their ears, so it was all they could do to mumble through the finish.

one of our neighbors down the hall here in manhattan is a well-known, nfl play-by-play announcer. i've gotten to know him a bit over the years. i saw him on the elevator just before he went off to New Orleans that week. I asked him if he thought the pats had any chance. his answer, which i've never forgotten, "if they come out and hit the Rams on the nose from the first play, they're gonna surprise a lot of people and win the game."

madden redeemed himself, though, with the "goosebumps" line.

at the time, i didn't hear much of the post game until the trophy presentation because my friends and i were screaming at the top of our lungs. but, remember that the CW before the game was a Rams' blowout and virtually all of the media were part of it, including those two. then, after Madden had said that the Pats should play for OT, they were probably in some sort of shock. madden quickly figures out that the tape will be played forever and he looks like a fool, so they were trying to recover. (the most interesting line was when madden admits that he'd seen Brady on TV before the game but didn't know much about him. then they put up the graphic that shows the Rams' scoring 14 unanswered points after Tebucky's TD was called back. they were getting ready to spin the story that this was the great Rams' comeback but, oops, the patriots won and they got blindsided.) the producer was probably screaming in their ears, so it was all they could do to mumble through the finish.

one of our neighbors down the hall here in manhattan is a well-known, nfl play-by-play announcer. i've gotten to know him a bit over the years. i saw him on the elevator just before he went off to New Orleans that week. I asked him if he thought the pats had any chance. his answer, which i've never forgotten, "if they come out and hit the Rams on the nose from the first play, they're gonna surprise a lot of people and win the game."

madden redeemed himself, though, with the "goosebumps" line.

Yeah I never noticed how zombie like they sounded because I was busy screaming and celebrating.

I could watch that sequence over and over 100 times. Best drive ever. By the way, "the other guy" was Pat Summerall, one of the best broadcasters ever. This Super Bowl had to be one of their low points as a duo. I smirk every time I see Madden because I always think of his call on this drive. :rofl:

yeah. as i listen (over and over) to the replay, I kind of get the feeling that summerall knows how badly they just blew it, but even he doesn't want to step on madden. they don't want to fall all over themselves saying "we were wrong" but, on the other hand, they have to say something. but what else can they do? they just watched what is arguably the greatest SB finish ever. they totally blew the call (by not disagreeing with Madden, Summerall is part of it). they were also both part of a media drumbeat for the prior week that said the Rams were going to win in a blowout.

the funniest part is when madden tries to make it up by saying that he was happy to see an "original AFL team" win the game. add to that the likely reality that their producer was yelling that they had to say something, it's all kind of funny when you think about it. until you remember that madden not only coached the Raiders but coached Jack Tatum, including in the Stingley game.

Don't forget that they knew going in that this would be their last game called together. May have put a little damper on their respective moods....

Yeah, putting the announcer's tones aside, that was really enjoyable to watch again on a snowy saturday afternoon. Such great memories.

Got a feeling we got a lot more coming too!

Don't forget that they knew going in that this would be their last game called together. May have put a little damper on their respective moods....

whoa! good catch! and, welcome to the board.

Last edited:
In the middle of a miserable weather day here in NE a little sunshine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2gX8mA8jsk
Thanks Crowpointer. I watched both the tribute to old Foxborough Stadium and the SB 36 one. I hadn't heard the Summerall - Madden call since the game itself. One great part was the eyes of Troy Brown in the huddle looking at Brady and looking back again when the pass to him was called. Of all the plays on the drive, they had to have that one because it ate up a bunch of yards. Naturally, it was to Troy.

I grew up not far from the stadium. My parents wouldn't take me because they thought it was far too dangerous. I can recall being stuck in traffic on route 1 as drunk fans walked down the road and banged on the cars.

I love that clip because, Randy Vataha was my first favorite Patriot , Steve Groogan was my second.

I was 17 on the opening night in Foxboro and was sitting in my perch with Sully,Joe and Jack in Section 210 Row 18 Seats 11,12,13, and 14.Those were the days!

As we have discussed before, there is no doubt we know each other, seeing as our first 6 years at old Schaeffer were Section 210 - right around your row - just a few row behind the Randy Vataha guy!!

Then we were "upgraded" to Row 3 sec 209 - still on the 210 side. Row 3 was actually the first row of that section - there were 8 seats in our row (we had the middle four), with the wall in front of us. We were always found leaning on that wall. Ahh I miss that old wall.

Now we are in Sec 134 row 29 - AWESOME seats!!

Where are yours or did you give them up??

As we have discussed before, there is no doubt we know each other, seeing as our first 6 years at old Schaeffer were Section 210 - right around your row - just a few row behind the Randy Vataha guy!!

Then we were "upgraded" to Row 3 sec 209 - still on the 210 side. Row 3 was actually the first row of that section - there were 8 seats in our row (we had the middle four), with the wall in front of us. We were always found leaning on that wall. Ahh I miss that old wall.

Now we are in Sec 134 row 29 - AWESOME seats!!

Where are yours or did you give them up??

I gave them up when I moved to California in 1980.Now that I'm back in Massachusetts, I still get to a couple of games a year but if You ever get an extra please let Me know.I'm sure that You and I can entertain a tailgate with some of our "Old Stories".

Last edited:
...at the end we will discover Fgssand and NoCalPatriot knew each others...

great !

ps = if i will come to US we have to see each other too

Last edited:
...at the end we will discover Fgssand and NoCalPatriot knew each others...

great !

ps = if i will come to US we have to see each other too

Italian Pat Patriot,it was a very small world of Patriots Fans back then.We all knew each other and were all considered crazy to go to Foxboro by almost everyone else. I look forward to tailgating with You my Italian Friend and if You tailgate with Fgssand and I You will be tailgating with two "All Pros" since We began when Foxboro was "The Wild West". Back in those days the words"Family Friendly" were never spoken !

if i will come there i think we have to plan 'many hours' together and you + Fgssand will let me know the wild stories 'alive'...

i think it will be a nice 'football afternoon' for sure !

and a good tailgate too of course !

Avanti Patrioti !

Last edited:
Italian Pat Patriot,it was a very small world of Patriots Fans back then.We all knew each other and were all considered crazy to go to Foxboro by almost everyone else. I look forward to tailgating with You my Italian Friend and if You tailgate with Fgssand and I You will be tailgating with two "All Pros" since We began when Foxboro was "The Wild West". Back in those days the words"Family Friendly" were never spoken !

So very very true, season ticket base back in the leanest years was maybe 18,000 and I swear, some of the very very cold & rainy games, when the team was 2-9 or something -- about 8,000 of us would show up.

I lived 10 miles away in Randolph & Stoughton (before moving to foxboro in 2001) back in those days. I could leave my house at 12:30 and be in my seats for 1:00 PM kickoff. Coming home was also a breeze.

Yup...we'll find a game to do just that No Cal.

When our buddy Italian Pats fans comes to town -DONE deal., I'll have a ticket for both of you guys...count on it.

Why was the backup Quarterback signing autographs? :rofl:

Great find thank you.
I do wish that NFL films would put this as an extra on History of the Patriots type of DVD.

There's actually a full 30 minute NFL Films program (which that video is an excerpt of) about Foxboro Stadium which I saw on ESPN/2 about four years ago (and never since) but hopefully that'll be aired again one day.

Interesting bit of trivia is that the town is spelled Foxborough and only the stadium is spelled Foxboro. Anyone know the history as to how that happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes