PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Foxboro Cathedral [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Foxboro Cathedral

Yeah, I actually thought it sounded pretty loud. It never sounds (on TV) as loud as other stadiums but, comparatively to past games on TV they seemed loud when they needed to be.

Exactly my impression.

Here is the test I would use to identify a "load" stadium:
*Does the opposing team need to go to silent snap counts?
*Do they get penalized for a lot of false starts?
*Do they call unnecessary timeouts because they can't figure out the play?

No way does Gillette pass the test. I don't ever see offenses getting out of sync because of the noise.

The Chargers were in the silent count all game which had a lot to do with their failure running the ball and some key plays and burned a few timeouts (two in the second half if I remember which is why they were powereless to stop the Pats afther the two minute warning). I was at the game and I felt it was very loud. I think this year about half the games we had a great home (SD, Buf?, Philly in the second half, Mia, Pitts, NYJ, Jax and SD2) field advantage and half we didnt.

i have also been critical of the Gillette crowd at times. I dont blamethe stadium because I think that is complete BS. Tennessee for example has an even more "open" design than the Razor and it is very loud. Yes Gillette will never be as loud as a dome or a place like QWest which has that half roof thing to filter noise to the field but when the fans make noise it is very very loud and that has been proven again and again over the years.

Yesterday the fans were great and it helped the Pats.

The best point on this thread is the guy who said the thing about the first down. You cant judge the noise based on TV and that is the proof right there because in the stadium it is deafeningly loud whne they do that but on TV you can barely hear it.

Was it as quiet there as is it sounded on TV?

Can anyone who attended yesterday's game comment on the crowd noise? From the audio of the TV broadcast, the crowd seemed pretty quiet.

I don't know......my impression watching on tv, I have to admit, is that it was QUIET. I don't doubt those of you who say you were screaming and it seemed loud to you, but it does seem then that the stadium doesn't hold in the noise. And the crowd HAS been lame in the past.

But hey, they're undefeated there, right? How bad could it be.

I was there and the crowd DEFINITELY took it it up a notch (like every year.. 15 years and counting!!).. The tv doesn't do it justice.. To the false starts and this and that.. Its not a dome, but an open ENDED stadium.. It was a great atmosphere and the players fed off it.. SO yes there was no false starts but did u see how two LB's in their mid 30's kept shooting thru the lines.. The players and crowd definitely fed off one another

Seriously, these comments are negative.. How many of you have seriously been to a few playoff games and noticed the difference? THE TV doesn't do it justice.. Never has, never will..

Here is the test I would use to identify a "load" stadium:
*Does the opposing team need to go to silent snap counts?
*Do they get penalized for a lot of false starts?
*Do they call unnecessary timeouts because they can't figure out the play?

No way does Gillette pass the test. I don't ever see offenses getting out of sync because of the noise.

This is exactly how I feel. The crowd at Gillette yesterday was the loudest it had been all season, but I don't feel we got rewarded for our efforts with any delay of games or illegal procedures. As great as it was yesterday, the acoustics of the stadium are a disadvantage and are preventing Foxboro from becoming as dreaded at the RCA Dome or Arrowhead.

Would you rather have an acoustically loud stadium or a nice, architecturally unique stadium?

Would you rather have an acoustically loud stadium or a nice, architecturally unique stadium?

The one that helps my team win.

This is exactly how I feel. The crowd at Gillette yesterday was the loudest it had been all season, but I don't feel we got rewarded for our efforts with any delay of games or illegal procedures. As great as it was yesterday, the acoustics of the stadium are a disadvantage and are preventing Foxboro from becoming as dreaded at the RCA Dome or Arrowhead.

Philip Rivers was in the silent count for much of the game. You think it had no effect? That's a huge advantage for the Patriots' defense.

I dont understand the obsession with Gillettes design. OK it isnt a dome or Qwest. When people make noise its plenty loud. I have said at least a half dozen times on these boards that you cant go by TV noise because it is manipulated. The first down thinfg is the perfect example of that. Trust me yesterday was loud I was there.

My section was loud too, loudest it has been all year.

who knows maybe sometime in the future Mr Kraft could add a covering over both 300 sections like out in Seattle to deflect the noise back down..

Philip Rivers was in the silent count for much of the game. You think it had no effect? That's a huge advantage for the Patriots' defense.
Not as much as you'd like to think. Teams prepare all week to go on a silent count. Is it a coincident that in the louder stadiums, the visiting offense is called for the most false starts? I can't see opposing QBs having trouble hearing plays in their helmet at Gillette.

I definitely think Kraft should build that over the 300s it would make a huuuuuuuge difference because those seats are right on top of the field relative to other 300 sections i have seen

I definitely think Kraft should build that over the 300s it would make a huuuuuuuge difference because those seats are right on top of the field relative to other 300 sections i have seen
If Kraft really cared about crowd noise, he'd start pumping sound in like the Colts.

Not as much as you'd like to think. Teams prepare all week to go on a silent count. Is it a coincident that in the louder stadiums, the visiting offense is called for the most false starts? I can't see opposing QBs having trouble hearing plays in their helmet at Gillette.

The advantage it gives the defense has to be mentioned. Seau was timing his runs perfectly because Rivers took two seconds to hike the ball once behind center, EVERY SINGLE time.

This is a huge factor. If the Chargers had noticed that the crowd was not having an effect, they could have easily went to the QB barking signals.

The advantage it gives the defense has to be mentioned. Seau was timing his runs perfectly because Rivers took two seconds to hike the ball once behind center, EVERY SINGLE time.

This is a huge factor. If the Chargers had noticed that the crowd was not having an effect, they could have easily went to the QB barking signals.

Is it an advantage? Yes. Huge advantage? I disagree. The whole offense no longer has the timing advantage of knowing what the ball is snapped. They are even with the defense. I would consider a huge advantage something that is the decisive factor in the game. For example, having a Starting QB with a torn ACL playing against a two time Super Bowl MVP QB is a huge advantage. I don't think the silent count was at all, nor was the crowd noise. I just view them as part of the home field advantage.

Changing up the silent snap something that the Chargers probably should have done if Rivers' timing was predictable. That's poor coaching for not making the adjustment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back