Status
Not open for further replies.

Slagathor

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Pretty quiet.

Re: Foxboro Cathedral

Pretty quiet.

I was at the game. The noise was deafeningly loud. A real good blue collar hard core crowd today.

Barely any Chargers fans. Actually had one sitting next to me. His first question said it all: "Do the fans here ever sit down? Are they going to stand the whole game?"

Yes, we stood the whole game, and in freezing temps, cheered loudly for a rather uninspiring game.

The crowd at Gillette today was loduer than the Buffalo Bills crowd against Dallas and New England, for which the entire nation applauded them.

I was at the game. The noise was deafeningly loud. A real good blue collar hard core crowd today.

Barely any Chargers fans. Actually had one sitting next to me. His first question said it all: "Do the fans here ever sit down? Are they going to stand the whole game?"

Yes, we stood the whole game, and in freezing temps, cheered loudly for a rather uninspiring game.
Good to hear - it sounded quiet on TV but that, of course, means nothing.

They never mike Gillette properly. You can never tell how noisy it is from the TV.

They never mike Gillette properly. You can never tell how noisy it is from the TV.

I wonder if that is it. I keep hearing that the stadium doesn't hold the noise normally, and maybe thats true. But when I was at the game last week it was very loud and no one sat until the 4th Q. Yet I get here and people were complaining it was quiet again.

I was there and I've been extremely critical of the Gillette crowd for a while now. My throat is raw and I think the crowd put up their best performance of the year. I still think they could do better and that a fanbase like KC's, for example, would blow the Foxboro faithful out of the water, but it was not a cathedral.

I still think they could do better and that a fanbase like KC's, for example, would blow the Foxboro faithful out of the water, but it was not a cathedral.
Some of it may have to do with the fans (I've never been to an NFL game), but the design of the Razor certainly doesn't help, either. The nice big gap for the light house creates a lovely view, but also provides a wonderful way to let lots of sound waves escape rather than reverberate within the stadium, boosting the crowd noise. It also makes setting up the sound more difficult for TV broadcast (or any other recording, for that matter).

Last edited:

Today was actually the first broadcast where I could hear the crowd yell "first down" on the TV. It is deafening when you are there.

The bills had a loud crowd for the Cowboys, but not for the pats game that is for sure (maybe one series at best).

It is tough to figure out why it doesn't sound loud on TV - and it really doesn't sound very loud. I always thought the mic that picks up the crowd noise was the one sitting on the ledge in front of the guys in the press box - and it is sitting right there in front of the guys (you can see it).

Do they put other mics "out and about" to pickup the crowd noise?

Or maybe the crowd noise just doesn't come up as much to the press box level?

Pretty quiet.

Slag, whatsamatta man? Why so negative after a great win? If you're not at the game, you have to stop trying to figure out if the crowd was good buddy. You just can't tell. I think the network could do a better job of placing their mikes for the crowd.

Pretty quiet.

what are you talking about? it was loud as hell. you have to realize if you have never been that playoff crowds at Gillette are different than crowds vs. Buffalo, Miami, etc in the regular season

Pretty quiet.

Ask the Patriot's defensive unit if Gillette was a "Cathedral". Today and last Sat. night's games were impressive victorious helped in part by the loud home field crowd noise. Were you at the game or a late Sunday afternoon Church service yourself?

Last edited:

Yeah, I actually thought it sounded pretty loud. It never sounds (on TV) as loud as other stadiums but, comparatively to past games on TV they seemed loud when they needed to be.

I was there and I've been extremely critical of the Gillette crowd for a while now. My throat is raw and I think the crowd put up their best performance of the year. I still think they could do better and that a fanbase like KC's, for example, would blow the Foxboro faithful out of the water, but it was not a cathedral.

If he says it, I believe it.

Good work guys! Tough win, but an ugly win is still a win. The Patriots were a defensive virtuoso today.

Ask the Patriot's defensive unit if Gillette was a "Cathedral". Today and last Sat. night's games were impressive victorious helped in part by the loud home field crowd noise. Were you at the game or a late Sunday afternoon Church service yourself?

This is exactly right.

You can bet that Seau shooting the gap on Turner at the goal line was greatly aided by the crowd.

Rivers' had the same snap count all freakin' game. Heck, I was yelling my head off and by the second quarter, I was stopping my yell a split second before Rivers snapped the ball. They went to a silent count, and that's exactly why Seau timed that play so perfectly. I was sitting on the goalline, and when I saw Seau move toward the goalline, I knew already that the Chargers wouldn't score.

The fans do what they can, but Gillette is just a quiet stadium. As someone who has been to 10 or so other NFL stadiums, Gillette is by far the quietest. Its not that the fans don't care (though I think the loudness wasn't as great yesterday as say the 2003-2004 AFC Championship vs. the Colts)...its just the way the stadium is designed I think.

Fans who haven't been elsewhere I don't think understand. They are like "Well I was yelling, my throat is sore...it was LOUD" but it really isn't compared to elsewhere. At Tennessee, for example, you couldn't even hear yourself think. Gillette never gets like that.

Its just the way it is. Not sure they can ever fix it.

J D Sal

Last edited:

I heard the game called by Gil and Gino via radio (internet), I could hear the crowd THROUGHOUT the game!! It was very inspiring to hear! Especially since I could see a thing, and had to depend entirely on the call of the game. Gil and Gino are a tremendous tandem, imo, but to hear the CROWD was very helpful. I knew, as Gil was calling "a run by...." , or "a pass by .... " -- whether it was Brady, Rivers, Turner, or Maroney, whomever... I could hear exactly how the play was going just from the sound of the crowd.

Guess the radio mikes were far better placed than the TV mikes. The Pats ought to speak with the NFL and the TV nets to make sure they have the crowd noise properly represented. Filtering it out, as well as amping it up (Indianapolis??) are both wrong. We should be able to hear it as: "it is what it is". Shouldn't be distorted into what some studio jock says it should be.

//

I can't raise my voice today, so that tells you something.

Banging the seat in front of you worked too.

JDSal, I've been to Buffalo, Fedex in DC, Ford Field, Philly and Giants Stadium in the last 2 years. I was in Buffalo for their Monday Night Dallas game this year.

Yesterday seemed louder to me than any of the games I've seen in those stadiums.

It could be that things sound louder in the lower half of the stadium, where I was sitting, especially the closed end. The noise was deafening.

Pretty quiet.

I was there as well. The crowd had a great response especially on 3rd down's, yelling loud and constent. For that stadium its as loud as its going to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes