Welcome to PatsFans.com

Fox News fooled by Israeli right wing media

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +387 / 15 / -14

Good journalism requires getting additional sources especially before publishing controversial information. But, good journalism is not Fox's forte (or the conservative Jerusalem Post's forte either, evidently).

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/06/from-the-fact-c.html

The Jerusalem Post listened to the interview, apparently, and produced a story saying "Malik Obama says his brother will be good president for the Jews. Barack Obama's half brother Malik said Thursday that if elected his brother will be a good president for the Jewish people, despite his Muslim background."

It ended up on Fox News, with anchor Brut Hume saying on June 16 that: "Barack Obama is a practicing Christian, married in a Christian church, whose children were also baptized in that church. His campaign has emphasized his faith in part to dispel what the campaign calls an online smear campaign which contends among other things that Obama was raised a Muslim. There is even a statement on his official campaign website reading, quote, 'Obama has never been a Muslim, and is a committed Christian.' But Obama's half brother is not so sure. Malik Obama tells The Jerusalem Post that, 'if elected his brother will be a good president for the Jewish people, despite his Muslim background.'"

ABC News got a hold of the audio of Malik's interview with Israel Army Radio, and Malik said nothing of the kind.

You can't hear the questions -- only Malik's answers -- but whatever the interviewer asked about Obama's father's Muslim heritage, or the Muslim minority in Kenya, Malik said, “I don’t think that’s in any way going to be something to worry about. I myself am not speaking for him. But we are here, we love people in general. People love us. I myself love people who love me. You know, so, and I think it’s mutual. I can’t go in terms of Israel and Kenya and America, and so forth, you know, but based on what else I’ve heard him say and what I know of him as an individual, I don’t think Israel should worry too much, you know, about the connection. Because, I am a Muslim myself, and I don’t think that my being a Muslim has got anything to do with my brother being the President of the United States.”

2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And I should trust ABC news why?
    [​IMG]

http://web.israelinsider.com/Articles/Politics/12918.htm

3. Patters

Ratings:
    +387 / 15 / -14

So, they used the same quote and were fooled too. I guess the right wing media is easily misled. Thanks for the second example.

4. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

BTW, Patters--why the "Fox News fooled" in the title? Wouldn't it have been more accurate to say "jerusalam post fooled"? Or are you trying to imitate wes with the disengenous titles?

5. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

There were other links in the story I quoted...and I'll ask you again--I should trust ABC News WHY?

Google "obama's brother malik"...see what you find.
    Besides--your credentials as a liberal apologist are well documented--just in the last day or so in fact. So why should we trust ABC or you?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +387 / 15 / -14

No, the Jeruselm Post, a conservative newspaper, clearly chose to misinterpret what Obama's half brother said. So, they weren't fooled. Fox was fooled by them, and really Fox should have done more vetting especially with something so controversial.

Also, regarding your link and the photo, there is no such thing as Muslim clothes. The only requirement is modesty, which is defined differently by Islam's various sects.

7. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Did I say anything about "muslim clothes" At all? Show me where I did.

I just posted a picture of Mr. Obama's brother with him. I don't care if he was wearing a dress or jeans and a t-shirt.

Muslim clothes?

Don't start with me, Pat. Seriously--you've tried to prove you're a tough guy, baiting BF by calling him a racist until he got pissed, you've done a similar thing with me...regarding "rules"...but don't start implying I've said something I didn't say.

8. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Like CBS News and Dan Rather did with that "authentic" letter regarding Bush a few years back? I'm not playing the left-right finger point game here, just making the point that our entire media is based more on garnering the right headline for ratings rather than accuracy. Fact-checking is a definite problem.

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +387 / 15 / -14

Don't be so paranoid.

Anything is possible. It's possible I'm a pathologic liar. It's possible that ABC is posting a story that they know the Jerusalem Post will strongly refute. It's possible I am a supercomputer at NSA headquarters that is engaging in discussion in order to identify and catalog your views for future reference. But, to engage in intellectual discussion, you have to have some degree of trust in others.

10. Patters

Ratings:
    +387 / 15 / -14

Personally, I think the letter was authentic, and the evidence is certainly not conclusive one way or the other. But, I really don't want to rehash the subject. That said, this was a case where Fox News, who is already well established for spreading rumors about Obama, reported it. They are an unusual news outlet. In the Rather case, at least CBS got rid of him. What do you expect Fox to do?

11. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Nothing really.

12. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Most ridiculous thread of the week, in a week filled with ridiculous threads.

Can I get a second here :rocker:

13. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

That's not a very strong argument. Fox reported something that wasn't true, adding to their reputation of ambiguous motives and shoddy journalism. I see no reason why reminding people that Fox is a sham is "ridiculous" let alone the "most ridiculous thread of the week." Sort of a hollow claim coming from someone who probably loves Fox News. Here's where you claim you 'never watch it' as all the righties do when it comes to exposing Fox.

14. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

If you were paying attention, you'd know that I've often criticized MOST network stations as pandering to their audience to much, including Fox. None of them are even news shows anymore, just glorified entertainment. Wow, Fox put out some BS that their audience wanted to hear within the last day, SHOCKA. :rolleyes:

I'm sure MSNBC, NBC, CNN and the rest of them did to. The TV network news has become a diseased perversion of reality TV. Print media isn't far behind.

It's a dumb thread cuz it could be started EVERY friggen day, just substituting the network and the story.

15. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Say huh?

Well, that pretty much should tell everyone all they need to know.

16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +695 / 7 / -2

Of course Patters thinks a fake letter by a lefty news outlet, that made GW look bad, was authentic. Who cares that it was proven fake. Oh, and why would Patters want to rehash that old subject, since it goes against his "FOX News which I don't watch since I don't have cable is the only eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil channel out there" mantra. :rolleyes:

Humme explicitly attributed the information to the Jpost. It's not different than if he said John McCain has denied ever having an affair, claims to love his wife, is known as the Straight Talk Express, and claims to be a straight shooter on his website. However, according to the NYT's, annonymous sources claim "he's boning some lobbyist". Now, if Humme did that, Frauders wouldn't be whining. Humme, nor Fox itself, is the one claiming that Obama's brother says he's a muslim. The Jpost is. That being said, I don't think they mentioned it cuz they want Obama to win, if you know what I mean. Humme's show is of a right sided nature, so do the math.

17. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Why don't you go google "Obama's brother Malik" and see what comes up? You'll find much more than Fox news. Even friends of Hillary were talking about it--so why don't you put down the "I hate FoxNews juice" and open your eyes for a minute.

Jesus--sometimes the yellow dog liberal stuff can be carried too far you know.

And we already know that I don't watch Fox, so it's not like I'm defending them here.

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +387 / 15 / -14

Of course, if you don't think for yourself, you would buy a load of goods from the righties who are selling it to you.

The fact that Fox keeps reporting and, in that way, spreading these rumors is what the issue is, and that's unfair to people who choose not to think for themselves.:rolleyes:

19. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

Why should I google that? What is it supposed to prove? That he has a muslim brother named Malik? Wow, thanks for the update, I'm so surprised the Clintons would try and use that:rolleyes:

If there is something on a "liberal" network like this, I doubt for a second that the righties on this site would post it in a heartbeat, even if it happened every day. Unfortunately it doesn't happen everyday, except at Fox, which is why every one of these examples is met with the same pathetic "Dan Rather blah blah blah" comeback.

I could go on for ages about how NBC, CNN and other "liberal" corporate news outlets manufactures the news and shapes public debate, but I'd be doing it from a leftist perspective not the asinine Democrat v. Republican shouting match that dominates this board, so my criticism would be lost amidst the shallow talking points on both sides.

So while we're on the topic of Blatant and obvious lying and crappy journalism, the score is Fox News 1,234,367 - CBS 1.

20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +695 / 7 / -2

I always watch Fox. I watch it less than I do MSNBC, but more than I watch CNN. Fox is no more disengenuous than the other two are. Hardball is by far the show I watch the most. Mainly cuz it's on twice in a short span. That show is as one sided as any on Fox. Odormans show is probably the most biased show in cable television. Only partisans point to one and say it's eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil, while blindly defending their own. I watch all 3 for perspective, and to then make up my own mind about what the real deal is.

Only frauds criticize a channel they don't even watch cuz they don't have it.

And if you don't have it, that's why you need it. :D