Welcome to PatsFans.com

Fox "mistake" smears Ron Paul

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Uncovered: Fox News deceptively used old CPAC footage to smear Ron Paul | The Raw Story

Interviewing Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) on his victory in the CPAC 2011 presidential straw poll, the conservative Fox News Channel did something slimy: they cued up footage of the prior year. \

While normally this could be passed off as a simple mistake -- the same man presented poll results both years in front of the same backdrop and at the same podium -- something of an editorial edict seems to have emerged.

The key difference between 2010 and 2011: In 2010, the room was full of former Mass. Governor Mitt Romney's supporters, who booed the results. This year, the audience cheered and even began chanting Paul's name.
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

No surprise here. FOXNews (along with the other major media outlets) is a tool of the establishment which hates Paul because of his stance against senseless and unjustifiable wars without end. The "news" media gets its best ratings when there are stories about security threats and military actions. The Iraq invasion way back when was TV fodder 24-7 for months and months. Stories about Israel and the Middle East are always tops in the array of dizzying graphics and commentary from "experts" and "strategists".

Ron Paul is bad for the TV News media business.
  3. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Ron Paul is going to Run, and were going to wake up a lot more people... IT will be near impossible to keep him from the national debate this coming election.
  4. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Thank God we have responsible outlets like Time to counter the onslaught of improper journalistic practices coming from Murdoch's empire:

Power Line - More on the Sad Decline of Time Magazine

Maybe everyone should fact-check, eh?
  5. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 2 / -1

Everybody should, but a few things occur to me about this.

First, and most important, why don't you think it was tongue-in-cheek? If you're going to take that line as serious, why not the many other lines in the column that, if taken seriously, would be equally ridiculous?

Second, regarding the media in general, let's assume it was a flub.

This appears to be an online service Time puts out. I'm curious what kind of standards it generally has. For all the good the internet brings, clearly it also puts a premium on timeliness over accuracy, and I would think that's especially the case if it's a purely online service versus the online version of the magazine. That wouldn't make it OK, but I think it is a negative of the continued blurring of the internet and print, and of entertainment versus journalism.

Also, when it comes to print, I wonder if there has been an increase in mistakes due to factcheckers being cut. I don't know if the latter has occurred, but I would expect it to be the case as magazines and newspapers continue cut costs in their efforts to survive. And if that has been the case, I would expect a rise in mistakes as a direct result.

Finally, since you brought Fox into this, part of the problem with Fox is that most of its mistakes appear to be in one direction. Even if Time made a stupid mistake here, is it part of a pattern of "mistakes," most of which target the right?

(by the way, why did Palin mention Hannity? I didn't see anything about Hannity in the piece, though I did find her reference to him/them (Fox?) as "good folks" to be precious. She also needs to learn the definition of "lies".)
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  6. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

I guess it was because that was where she supposedly said it (on Hannity's show) in the original satirical article:

Palin says she'd deport Christina Aguilera for botching the national anthem // Current