PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fox: Belichick “Exploiting Rule Book” and NFL Must “Stop It Immediately"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL even has the kickoff rules screwed up. How can the receiver being out of bounds catch the ball while it's inbounds and then penalize the kicking team? At least they should hire lawyers that understand football before they write the rules

It's actually a smart strategy. Telling a guy whose idea of "fashion" is wearing tattered hoodies with cut off sleeves that something he's doing demonstrates "panache" might just be enough to make him stop....

PS: that's a joke...

I can't believe I wasted my time with that click.

Chase is a total idiot, and the worst part is he expects to change a rule a quarter of the way into the season. It's like he's never played sports before in his entire life and has no idea what competition and integrity are. Wait a second...

To be fair, when the owners changed the kickoff touchback rule they explicitly put in something saying it could be changed back after week 4. So everyone was on notice that it could change during the season.

Amazingly, Goodell (and/or the owners) had an unexpected moment of clarity and decided that even though the rule is blowing up in their faces they won't exercise that option and will leave the rule alone for the whole season.

So, basically, what he is saying is that BB should stop being a good coach so it gets fairer for the other poor teams who don't have good coaching. Got it.

In French, we have a great expression by stupidities like this "nivellement par le bas" which, in a nutshell, means "levelling by the bottom" which I would explain by saying that instead of pushing everyone to get better, we encourage people to suck so the people with less talent/smarts don't feel bad.

That sounds like the public schools here.

This kind of thing makes me so mad. These reporters know that many people are just going to read the title, not the article, and give it the confirmation bias they feel it deserves. He is just shaping public opinion for our next made up scandal.

Because hey, if you have the pitchforked crowd already waiting, you really don't need any proof of wrongdoing, now do you.

Chase brought that crowd on himself when he wrote his idiotic piece claiming Brady should accept his suspension and people would love him for it, and he repeatedly wrote about Brady's guilt. He's the moron who went on D&C and claimed he read the Wells Report and when Callahan asked him about the quotes in it from MacNally and Jastremski Chase said he read them only to havecCallahan inform him that there weren't any quotes from them in it. He's a true moron who gets exactly what he deserves, sh!t on.

Funny thing is there was a game earlier this year on Red Zone where the kick returner caught the ball with one foot out of bounds and they didn't call the penalty but gave him the ball right there. I was screaming at the tv because I remembered the rule.. Refs screwed it up, no shock there...

To be fair, when the owners changed the kickoff touchback rule they explicitly put in something saying it could be changed back after week 4. So everyone was on notice that it could change during the season.

Amazingly, Goodell (and/or the owners) had an unexpected moment of clarity and decided that even though the rule is blowing up in their faces they won't exercise that option and will leave the rule alone for the whole season.

That's not what I read.

NFL implements huge new touchback rule, admits it could backfire

From that article, both Goodell and Blandino say it's for a year.

I've heard Blandino say they will start to assess the impact of the rule after week 4, as they feel that is a sufficient sample size. But there's no mention of being able to rescind the rule mid-season.

NFL will assess new touchback rule after four weeks of the regular season

Chase brought that crowd on himself when he wrote his idiotic piece claiming Brady should accept his suspension and people would love him for it, and he repeatedly wrote about Brady's guilt. He's the moron who went on D&C and claimed he read the Wells Report and when Callahan asked him about the quotes in it from MacNally and Jastremski Chase said he read them only to havecCallahan inform him that there weren't any quotes from them in it. He's a true moron who gets exactly what he deserves, sh!t on.

Chase was on his moral high horse with Brady, but when the Manning-HGH story came out, he did a 180 and said, basically, it would be no big deal, if true. He only feels strongly about rules and safety depending on what team is involved.

Regarding kickoffs themselves, Matt Chatham has pointed out a few times that there is no statistical evidence that kickoffs lead to more concussions than other plays. The league claims there is, but has never backed this up with any studies.

That's not what I read.

NFL implements huge new touchback rule, admits it could backfire

From that article, both Goodell and Blandino say it's for a year.

I've heard Blandino say they will start to assess the impact of the rule after week 4, as they feel that is a sufficient sample size. But there's no mention of being able to rescind the rule mid-season.

NFL will assess new touchback rule after four weeks of the regular season

Just like they did with measuring PSI or footballs at 1/2 time? What does the NFL consider an appropriate sample size. Once measurement for every 293 instances?

I meant that the pitchfork crowd are the people angry at all us 'cheatriots', not Chase. He is creating the crowd with misinformation and click bait titles so that the next made up controversy we find ourselves in is just as easy of a media sell as deflategate was.

• Winner
Reactions: Ian
So, basically, what he is saying is that BB should stop being a good coach so it gets fairer for the other poor teams who don't have good coaching. Got it.

In French, we have a great expression by stupidities like this "nivellement par le bas" which, in a nutshell, means "levelling by the bottom" which I would explain by saying that instead of pushing everyone to get better, we encourage people to suck so the people with less talent/smarts don't feel bad.
Just like politics and culture!

That's why I always say "who cares if people FEEL bad when they're not doing as much?"

I don't

Interesting that he's gone from USA Today and now he's with Fox looking to try and make a name for himself there by writing more inflammatory pieces. I'm curious to know why they booted him, but either way, there must have been an issue of some sort.

Wow, that's right, I did not make that connection. I think it's safe to say that anyone who can't meet USA Today's standards probably doesn't belong in the media.

Reactions: Ian
They moved the ball up to the 35 to eliminate the play for player safety. Then they move the ball up to the 25 on a kick off touch back which encourages teams to kick it in play.

If anything have they not made things more dangerous for players cause teams get down there 5 yards faster and you are intentionally trying to kick inside the 10 as opposed to as hard as you can and hoping for a touch back? So basically you have 4-5 second hang time on a ball that goes only 55 yards and are either forcing players to return it desperately to try to get in good field position or down at the 10 or risk letting it bounce around and by downed in an even worse spot.

I have seen players catch a kick off and instantly have to make a move on some of Gost's kicks when they are at the 10-15 trying to return it to not get pinned deep. That the NFL has actually made this play MORE dangerous cause you have less reaction time after catching it and are more consistently punished by not trying to return it cause teams can now aim for the 10 yard line easier.

Wow, that's right, I did not make that connection. I think it's safe to say that anyone who can't meet USA Today's standards probably doesn't belong in the media.

National Enquirer and the Indy Star always have openings for journalists with questionable credentials.

Thirteen teams have a lower touchback-percentage than the Pats but Belichick is doing it with more panache.

It's purely intentional. Those two fumbles on kickoffs on Thursday night, both led to scores and, despite the popular narrative of the morning, did more to win that game that anything a (very solid) Jacoby Brissett did.

Wait a second. Are you telling me that Belichick INTENTIONALLY tried to get those players to fumble?

I'm sorry but this is BAD - REALLY BAD!

I don't think I can handle another scandal. Frankly I'm shocked.

Just as shocked as I was to learn that the Patriots study game film to determine a coach's play calling tendencies and signal calls.

It would be amazing to see if Goodell has the chutzpah to make yet ANOTHER mid season rule change just to thwart the Patriots PLAYING BY THE RULES and winning

Who can forget the NFL changing the rules mid-playoffs when the Patriots were using the ineligible receiver trick. Harbaugh didn't know the rules, called "no fair" so the officials were to make sure that coaches who don't know the rules don't get fooled by the Patriots

If I have my Framegate timetable right, Harbaugh tried to get his revenge on the Pats by "tipping off" the about deflated footballs and the rest is history

Well, not quite history - the Pats will get a rested Brady back, raring to go and fresher for the playoffs ready to win Ring #5 with the Pats currently on a roll

... all of which is prompting this proposals to change any rule that the Patriots use for their advantage...

Anyone else getting deja vu?

th
The threat to our very existence as a society from the Patriots is imminent

In today’s installment of the media and NFL’s obsession with all things Patriot, we have this gem from a couple days ago. Teams are trying to avoid touchbacks to keep opposing teams inside the 25. Good strategy…except the Patriots are one of the teams doing it:

How Bill Belichick is exploiting the rule book and why the NFL has to stop it immediately

(Note: I see the thread about the Green Bay play has weirdly devolved into a question as to whether the Pats are singled out, or something. Of course, the comic-if-it-wasn’t-the-sad-truth is that we’ve just gone through almost two years of nonsense due to how the Pats are treated, so it’s a valid issue. Obviously.)

Anyway, with the new kickoff rule, many teams are intelligently proceeding as they see fit…you know, playing the game of football. But I guess they shouldn’t be, or something, according to this. But particularly the Patriots….except many teams have a lower touchback percentage than the Pats. But this doesn’t matter, because….wait for it:

“Thirteen teams have a lower touchback-percentage than the Pats but Belichick is doing it with more panache.”

The mind reels.

Of course it’s mostly funny, until it’s not. The conclusion goes into the “not” category, becoming super-duper cereal, saying that the rule has to be changed NOW, because, you know, football teams are returning kickoffs and players are going to start dying, I guess. Think of the children. Not changing the rule now, waiting a year, would be “unconscionable.”

Conclusion: Bill Belichick is killing NFL players. He must be stopped.
Guy is a well known troll. If he didn't have this, he'd have nothing.

If I have my Framegate timetable right, Harbaugh tried to get his revenge on the Pats by "tipping off" the about deflated footballs and the rest is history

Was it not about that NYJFL* low level employee stealing footballs meant for charity that caused them to think the Pats were up to something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes