PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fourth-and-1 from the Pats’ 24-yard line

Status
Not open for further replies.

weswelker#83

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
" Third quarter :It was fourth-and-1 from the Pats’ 24-yard line.
Thirty-one other NFL coaches surely would have punted, and logic suggested Belichick would surrender the ball as well.
Yet Belichick, as if trying to shock his team out of its stupor, went all Barry Switzer, circa 1995. He left Tom Brady(notes) and the rest of the offense on the field and empowered them to take over the game, and they absolutely appreciated the gesture."

Jacobs: Even Belichick's Crazy Calls Are Genius ."I can't ever recall a moment like that," said Fred Taylor.

Belichick call rekindles image of recent glory - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Talk about some serious chops!

I thought it was all but a no-brainer to go for that. At that point the defense was not looking too good, that drive seemed to motivate the well-rested defense. Great call by BB. Also credit to Galloway and his extra late surge that made the attempt possible.

I thought it was all but a no-brainer to go for that. At that point the defense was not looking too good, that drive seemed to motivate the well-rested defense. Great call by BB. Also credit to Galloway and his extra late surge that made the attempt possible.

I think it's pretty damn far from a no-brainer. Up 6 inside your own 30, the risk is huge. Nothing in life with high risk is a "no-brainer"

I think it's pretty damn far from a no-brainer. Up 6 inside your own 30, the risk is huge. Nothing in life with high risk is a "no-brainer"

Maybe not a no-brainer but if I were to close my eyes and guess which unit would have been out on the field I would have said the short yardage offense. Really I was more iffy about the 4th and 3 that we went for in ATL territory when we could've backed them up deep, but that's just me.

A great call because it worked, I really think the decision was dictated entirely by Belichick's confidence that his running game was superior to the Falcons' run defense.

That said, I don't see it as a good call. Up by 6, with the defense having held the other guys to 10 points, it seems to me that punting makes more sense. The momentum shift if we get stuffed is off the charts.

But hey, it's why they pay him the big bucks. And nobody calls me a Genius on a regular basis. :D

Oh, and as if we didn't know it already -- BB could also be nicknamed BBB. Big Brass Balls.

Last edited:

I don't care how much you agree with that call. It was FAR from a no brainer. Even once you cross the 50 you put some thought into 4th and 1. You do recall our last 4th and 1, right? Went for about -3 yds.
I did love the call, though. It was a great moment. BB basically said if you can't pick this up then we don't deserve to win. I think it was the exact smack in the face our offense needed.

I think it was a no brainer. It is only your human emotions that make it otherwise. There's a whole body of statistical evidence to support what BB did.

I understand it's a higher risk than punting, but the reward is far greater also. IMO the reward outweighs the risk.

Edit: Best part of the article:

“I just instinctively made a move to the sideline and turned it up the field,” Baker said. “It’s not going to do Tommy any good if I’m sitting there covered, and I saw the linebacker look back inside. At some point you’ve just got to be a football player.”

Last edited:
It is only your human emotions that make it otherwise. There's a whole body of statistical evidence to support what BB did.

First, I've never had that argument used against me. Kudos. Second, the rest of your post explains the thought proccess making it not a no brainer. An onside kick when you have no other way of getting the ball back is a no-brainer.
Again, I agree with the call but it took HUGE BALLS to make.

What are the odds they don't make it? 20%?

Even if they do make it at 80%, they aren't guaranteed even a FG at that point.

I thought it was a horrific call. Why roll the dice that early? I can see going for it on the opponents 40 or 35, but your own 25?

Again, I agree with the call but it took HUGE BALLS to make.

No doubt it did. I'm just saying that knowing BB's tendencies it didn't suprise me at all.

Yes, if it was any other team it might have. For example in the game thread when Atlanta punted on 4th and 5 in our territory I thought it was a huge break for us and I'm sure they regret that because they didn't get the ball back for quite a while. Not saying they're comparable situations but they're both gut check time and I'm sure BB would have gone for it in their situation. BB makes alot of gutsy decision (on and off the field) that I feel like more other coaches should make that's part of what makes him a better coach.

a 4th and 1 against the falcons is a good bet anywhere on the field......they are inexperienced up front and pretty light to boot

if you can't gain a yard against the falcons......just go home

I was at the game, and was shocked at the call. Especially with the Falcons' quality offense. But, I also figured BB must KNOW they are going to make it. It was as ballsy as ballsy can be. Just think if they'd not made it, Atlanta scores and we lose by one point. It would've been totally on BB's head.

Looking back, I LOVE that call. :rocker:

Realistically, that is the kind of call you'll only see when you're playing Madden with your buddies.

There's no way to argue that one. If they don't make the yard (very possible), it's basically guaranteed they give up 3 points, maybe even 7 and the lead in what was at that point a very close game.

The fact that Bill made the call and the offense got the yard made it a great play and a big turning point in the game, but it very easily could have gone the other way and led to disaster. Let's not kid ourselves.

All that being said, I got chills when we got it and knew we'd win the game after that. Magical stuff.

I'd rather have our team out there being active and aggressive towards making critical plays to win games as opposed to being reactive and passive while giving the other team their opportunity.

The strength of the Falcons is their offense. What do you think Falcons fans and coaches wanted the Patriots to do on 4th and <1? My money says they take a big sigh of relief if the punt unit runs out there. The decision forced the Atlanta defense (their weaker unit) to step up and make a huge play, it's a classic game situation of taking your strength straight to your opponent's heart... they come up and make the play, good for them, otherwise, you've just proven one thing both to yourself and to them: when it mattered most, they couldn't stop you.

This is how football is meant to be played. This is what you would do on a playground or while playing Madden. Those who would punt on 4th and <1 when the offensive line is clearly having a good game against the defensive line are merely trying to save face to keep from facing heavy criticism for making bold and (somewhat) risky decisions in the event that things don't turn out how they'd want them to... not a winning mentality in my book.

" Third quarter :It was fourth-and-1 from the Pats’ 24-yard line.
Thirty-one other NFL coaches surely would have punted, and logic suggested Belichick would surrender the ball as well.
Yet Belichick, as if trying to shock his team out of its stupor, went all Barry Switzer, circa 1995. He left Tom Brady(notes) and the rest of the offense on the field and empowered them to take over the game, and they absolutely appreciated the gesture."

Jacobs: Even Belichick's Crazy Calls Are Genius ."I can't ever recall a moment like that," said Fred Taylor.

Belichick call rekindles image of recent glory - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Talk about some serious chops!

BB has nads the size of Massachusetts! He said basically, I trust my team, and they responded. Between BB, and Brady getting fired up, the team responded. Both men are absolutely GREAT leaders! When I saw Brady fired up on the sideline, I said to my wife "the Pats have this game in the bad now". I really felt that.

Also, if you recall, in the Atlanta series before that, the Falcons punted from the Patriots 39 on fourth down. Great coaches are not afraid to trust their men.

I don't care how much you agree with that call. It was FAR from a no brainer. Even once you cross the 50 you put some thought into 4th and 1. You do recall our last 4th and 1, right? Went for about -3 yds.
I did love the call, though. It was a great moment. BB basically said if you can't pick this up then we don't deserve to win. I think it was the exact smack in the face our offense needed.

I agree with you , that s the best explanation , i might add also that a successful 4th down brings confidence and momentum to the whole team :Off. and Def.

I gotta admit it's pretty funny the way some people are suggesting this was the only call to make.

When is the last time Belichick (or any other coach) went for it on 4th down behind their own 40 with a lead?

The only reason it was 'the right call' is because Belichick made it the right call.

The go for it call was far more than BB's analysis that the offensive line was stronger than the Atlanter D line and that the RBs were geting it done Sunday. He deliberately used the situation to fire up an offense that has so far under achieved. BB looks at the big picture and realized that this was an opportunity to influence the players in a constructive way that needed to be done. That's why BB is a super HC and I'm just a puzzled fan saying WTF? as the offense stayed on the field.

The only reason it was 'the right call' is because Belichick made it the right call.

Only to people who can't see the forest through the trees. This is what tough, aggressive football teams that are hellbent on seizing victory should do. If the offense failed in that situation, then yeah, it falls to the defense to step up and make a critical play, but still the situation called for a critical play; whoever made it would take a step towards winning the game.

Shying away from asking your team to make critical plays is how you end up a mediocre team saying "this game just got away from us at some point" in your post game presser on your way to a 6-10 record, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes