PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Four Silly Things I Keep Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPatriot

Rookie
Reaction score
Whether it's the Boston media, the national media or some of us Pats fans, I keep seeing four things that I believe are pretty silly.

1. "It's Bill Belichick's last year."

What part of the 2 trades into the 2008 draft don't folks get? The Pats have indeed loaded up this year. Perhaps that's because Belichick looks at the roster (as he did in 2002) and realizes that a house-cleaning is on the horizon. Face it, the Pats will need a LOT of new linebackers, receivers and DBs in a very short time. So why not make one more big run now, before starting a bit of a rebuilding job. And why not make sure that guys like Samuel, Moss, Stallworth and Washington are properly motivated with one year, "prove it" deals?

That doesn't mean that Bob Kraft's wife is driving Belichick away.

2. "Randy Moss will hurt team chemistry."

If Randy Moss starts to hurt team chemisty, he will be cut. At the cost of a 4th round draft pick... with no bonuses of any kind kicking in prior to the start of the season. Will he block downfield? Will he finish his patterns when he's not the primary target? Will he show up late for meetings? The The Pats will have a good idea on some of those very early on. Just as Doug Gabriel was jettisoned, so too will Mr. Moss if he doesn't fly right. There is no more business-first organization in the NFL than the Patriots.

3. "The Patriots no longer take a "different" type of player."

Let me see, lifetime malcontent Brian Cox, "King of Fines" Rodney Harrison, ever-grump Ted Washington, and the biggest trouble-maker Corey Dillon (off-field arrests, lockerroom cancer).

The Patriots have NEVER taken "different" types of players.

They've just gotten "different" kinds of results from players.

That's what has set New England apart. Anyone suggesting that this is some sort of sell-out hasn't studied the history books (Mr. Shaughnessy). The Pats haven't been concerned with bringing in guys with bad reps... if they thought they could turn them around.

And the Christian Peter incident was two coaching staffs ago. Robert Kraft has learned to let his football men pick the players... and the football men have a lot more of Kraft's trust than Bill Parcells ever had.

4. "The Patriots are guaranteed to win the Super Bowl."

Injuries (Tom Brady has never been hurt... and what if Adalius Thomas sufferes a Rosevelt Colvin-like break).

Upsets (ask the 2001 Rams or the 2006 Chargers).

Arrogance. That goes for US and the players.

All of those things can undo a seemingly loaded team.

Don't tempt fate and don't ask for bad karma. Please, oh, please, remember the '01 Rams the next time you want to say (or type), "when we win the Super Bowl."

Just thought those things needed to be said.

Good post... I agree... It's going to be a exciting year but with no garantees...

thank you so much, especially for numbers 1 and 4...

I concure.

I know, but the Belichick thing is something to b aware of, I do agree with the overconfidence..

Excellent post. Coach B will have to look through all of the positive things Moss will be doing during training camp to see if that is the real Moss or the one who knows if he is on opening day roster his $3 million salary is fully guaranteed.

Very well said. I think that the fans may be complacent, but there is no way in the world that the Pats themselves will be. I have seen far too many people write off Indy, for example. You can bet that BB, Pioli et al. are not underestimating them.

Well said, #2 & #3 are very well put, amazing how we have gotten very good production from so called problem players, the most amazing mis perception was Rodney Harrison... cannot think of a more solid citizen & consummate Patriot. Many of these guys are already leaders by the abilities, but htey do not know it, here they are developed and many will move on from this experience as better men.

4. "The Patriots are guaranteed to win the Super Bowl."

Injuries (Tom Brady has never been hurt... and what if Adalius Thomas sufferes a Rosevelt Colvin-like break).

Upsets (ask the 2001 Rams or the 2006 Chargers).

Arrogance. That goes for US and the players.

All of those things can undo a seemingly loaded team.

Don't tempt fate and don't ask for bad karma. Please, oh, please, remember the '01 Rams the next time you want to say (or type), "when we win the Super Bowl."

Just thought those things needed to be said.

Well said.

IMO, no one can predict in March/April who the Super Bowl winner will be. See 2006, 2005, and 2001.

I agree, especially with #4. There are too many factors involved.

And the roster, while it's impressive in almost every dimension, is dangerously shallow at three positions: ILB, NT and QB. An injury at any one of those spots would be devastating.

JPatriot, your post was more sound than anything written by Harpo Marx in the Globe this morning.

Belichick leaving is a majority of the Boston media's wet dream. They just can't handle the fact that he doesn't interview the way they would like them too. They can't wait for a coach that they can warp and distort in their crummy little newspapers.

Reiss this is not meant for you. Your're all good in my book so far. Keep riding the wave bud. I enjoy your articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes