PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Forward Progress sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Does anyone else think "forward progress" is getting out of control? Over the past decade, the definition of forward progress has become more and more favored to the offense (granted, ALL the rule changes have favored the offense).

How was that not a safety? The guy was running around like a chicken with its head cut off and he was tackled and ended up in the end zone, simply b/c he ran out of forward momentum at the 1 yard line we are to excuse the fact that the moron was in fact tackled into the end zone? His entire momentum was backwards the entire play, by his own friggin choice.

So a ball carrier's body can be nowhere near the end zone, but if he waves the ball over an imaginary plane over the goal-line, he scores six points.

There are so many awful things going on right now in the NFL's constant changes of the rules of the game, and this is one of the more downplayed ones, but its absurd. That was a safety.

Last edited:
BradyManny2344 said:
Does anyone else think "forward progress" is getting out of control? Over the past decade, the definition of forward progress has become more and more favored to the offense (granted, ALL the rule changes have favored the offense).

How was that not a safety? The guy was running around like a chicken with its head cut off and he was tackled and ended up in the end zone, simply b/c he ran out of forward momentum at the 1 yard line we are to excuse the fact that the moron was in fact tackled into the end zone? His entire momentum was backwards the entire play, by his own friggin choice.

So a ball carrier's body can be nowhere near the end zone, but if he waves the ball over an imaginary plane over the goal-line, he scores six points.

There are so many awful things going on right now in the NFL's constant changes of the rules of the game, and this is one of the more downplayed ones, but its absurd. That was a safety.

The definition of a safety requires that the ball cross into the end zone as a result of an offensive play, not a defensive one. So, in that case, much as it might suck, they made the right call.

Last edited:
That's a lame rule too, then. Even then, the carrier was moving backwards.

Nonetheless, my beef with forward progress remains intact. It's getting silly how much advantage they give the offensive player.

EDIT:
"SAFETY = 2 POINTS
The safety is worth two points. A safety occurs when the offensive ball carrier is tackled behind his own goal line."

From the nfl.com rule book. By that def, I'd say what I saw tonite was a safety.

Last edited:
BradyManny2344 said:
From the nfl.com rule book. By that def, I'd say what I saw tonite was a safety.

That's a rather simplistic explanation. Here's a more detailed one. I'd have liked to see a safety, too, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes