PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Patriot's CB Ellis Hobbs retires due to injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badluck

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
The veteran cornerback will retire because of his second serious neck injury in the past two seasons. This one, a source said, will end his career because it’s higher up in his neck. He has a pretty good career in broadcasting waiting if he wants to pursue it. He gave excellent analysis during the season on Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia after he got hurt.
Adam Caplan offers his NFC East offseason breakdown - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

Say what you want about the guy, I would never wish retirement due to injury on any player; must be horrible for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: OT:Former Patriots CB Ellis Hobbs retires due to injury

Adam Caplan offers his NFC East offseason breakdown - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

say what you want about the guy i would never wish retirement due to injury on any player, must be horrible for him

To borrow from an old chestnut, "Those who can play, play. Those who can't, become broadcasters."

Seriously, though, I feel sorry that he has to retire because of injuries, but I'm glad that it looks like he's got other opportunities lined up.

Last edited:

Sad news for him. Not a great player, but always liked him.

At least he isn't being stupid and risky further injury and making his life very hard.

:(

He wasn't great, in fact he got burned alot. However, I admired his passion and attitude after making a play, even if it was over the top.

He was also a great kick returner, wish him the best.

The NFL has longevity issues, and wonder the long term impact of an 18 game schedule..

Too bad for Ellis, never really liked his game.. but health comes first.

Good, glad he's looking at the bigger picture.

Best wishes Ellis.

shame you neve rgot the payday.

Wouldnt be surprised if another former Patriot retires in the offseason

Eugene Wilson
- Once Rodney got injured Wilson was never the same player...then again maybe Rodney made him look good or maybe he needed discipline which Rod had given him but lost it once Rod was gone.

I wish Mr. Hobbs all the best in his future endeavors.

Good to hear he might have an opprotunty in another field.. He probably got his wish granted playing in the NFL. Even though it was shortened due to an injury, I'm happy he for him..

Bridging another topic.. Bob Sanders should take note and move on.. Sometimes the body tells us no even if the heart says yes.. Well done Mr. Hobbs

Good to hear he might have an opprotunty in another field.. He probably got his wish granted playing in the NFL. Even though it was shortened due to an injury, I'm happy he for him..

Bridging another topic.. Bob Sanders should take note and move on.. Sometimes the body tells us no even if the heart says yes.. Well done Mr. Hobbs

Too bad for Ellis. I never believed Rivers when he called him, "The sorriest corner in the league."
Unlike Sanders injuries, Ellis could have permanent spinal cord damage from a neck injury. Sanders has mainly injured things like shoulders, biceps, etc.

Best wishes to Ellis who was a tough player here for the Pats contributing at CB and KR playing thru injuries. I hope his post football health is good and wish him happiness.

At the risk of sounding like a real jerk, I wish Hobbs the best, and hope he is okay, but while I think the injury was the major factor in this decision, as an Eagle his play had fallen of a cliff. He wasn't effective as a kick returner anymore. He was burnt often as a CB.

In other words, I doubt he would have made an NFL team if he had come back.

Unfortunately for many of us,our positive reminder of Hobbs in New England was tainted by the lofted pass by Eli over Hobbs and into the outstretched arms of Plaxico Burress to all but end our quest for perfection.

At the risk of sounding like a real jerk, I wish Hobbs the best, and hope he is okay, but while I think the injury was the major factor in this decision, as an Eagle his play had fallen of a cliff. He wasn't effective as a kick returner anymore. He was burnt often as a CB.

In other words, I doubt he would have made an NFL team if he had come back.

Hi Salt, meet Wound.

Last edited:

Best wishes to Ellis who was a tough player here for the Pats contributing at CB and KR playing thru injuries. I hope his post football health is good and wish him happiness.

Great post, I couldn't have said it better myself, and couldn't agree more with the sentiment. Best wishes to Ellis!

Played hard, played hurt and always had enthusiasm. I'm sorry his career ended this way, he loved to play.

I've criticized his overexuberance on occasion and thought he would have been an excellent nickel/cb and returner rather than a starting corner, but he always was 100% er on effort IMO.

Network execs, take note. he loves to talk, always has a smile and he's not shy.:D

That's unfortunate, but glad he made the right choice and put his long-term health first. Never a star for us, but he played hard all the time. Will always appreciate that.

Was one of my favorite players when he played here. Smart decision. Can't risk having a bad neck injury. Good luck Hobbs.

Too bad for Ellis. I never believed Rivers when he called him, "The sorriest corner in the league."
Unlike Sanders injuries, Ellis could have permanent spinal cord damage from a neck injury. Sanders has mainly injured things like shoulders, biceps, etc.

he definately wasn't "the sorriest corner" in the league like my boy rivers yelled at him lol

he was ok, but a much better kick returner

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey