PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Patriots and "home town" discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What does it say about our players when former players like David Patten is a big disappointment with the Redskins and that the Redskins' resurgence came after Patten was deactivated.

Just look around the league. Former Pats players like Woody, Andruzzi, and Smith are disppointments playing for losing teams. Nobody picked up Rohan Davey until Cards recently. And Troy Brown hardly received any FA offer.

Which leads me to question if we are "overpaying" many of the players. We keep bringing up "home town discount", but the reality is that many of these players may be getting paid more than what they could get from other teams.

The fact is that the Patriots now have one of the highest payrolls in the league, much higher than the Colts. But the team is still very dependent on very few key players like Brady. Which means that many in the supporting casts are getting more than their market value.

If they succeed in our system, they deserve fair market value. Who knows if Manning would work on another team, or if Alexander or LJ would do anything without their great OLs, but regardless, they're going to get big contracts for what they do in their systems.

mikey said:
What does it say about our players when former players like David Patten is a big disappointment with the Redskins and that the Redskins' resurgence came after Patten was deactivated.

Just look around the league. Former Pats players like Woody, Andruzzi, and Smith are disppointments playing for losing teams. Nobody picked up Rohan Davey until Cards recently. And Troy Brown hardly received any FA offer.

Which leads me to question if we are "overpaying" many of the players. We keep bringing up "home town discount", but the reality is that many of these players may be getting paid more than what they could get from other teams.

The fact is that the Patriots now have one of the highest payrolls in the league, much higher than the Colts. But the team is still very dependent on very few key players like Brady. Which means that many in the supporting casts are getting more than their market value.

:trolls: As the team starts playing better, you just can't help backsliding into troll status.

Not home town discount...just correct salary

The Pats put a dollar amount on a player (or position) and pay that amount. They don;t go crazy and over pay.

As for disappointments, I think Patten has to be considered one but Andruzzi and Smith are not. Andruzzi has helped Cleveland get a running game. Cleveland has not had a 1,000+ rusher in something like 20 years. Smith has done well as a back up. In the two years he has been out of NE he has carried the ball 287 times for 1113 yards and 7 TDs. Not Pro Bowl numbers but a lot of times would take that from their #2 back.

Most of the guys that have left the Pats were older guys that had already had their best years. Washington, Milloy, Patten etc were all 30ish or older. The only guys that were "young" were Andruzzi and Woody and the Pats don't like to tie a lot of $ up in O-linemen.

shatch62 said:
The Pats put a dollar amount on a player (or position) and pay that amount. They don;t go crazy and over pay.

As for disappointments, I think Patten has to be considered one but Andruzzi and Smith are not. Andruzzi has helped Cleveland get a running game. Cleveland has not had a 1,000+ rusher in something like 20 years. Smith has done well as a back up. In the two years he has been out of NE he has carried the ball 287 times for 1113 yards and 7 TDs. Not Pro Bowl numbers but a lot of times would take that from their #2 back.

Most of the guys that have left the Pats were older guys that had already had their best years. Washington, Milloy, Patten etc were all 30ish or older. The only guys that were "young" were Andruzzi and Woody and the Pats don't like to tie a lot of $ up in O-linemen.
I am not trying to sound like a "troll", as a previous poster is trying to insinuate.:D

Just asking what I thought is a legitimate question.

I am trying to reconcile that fact that we have one of the highest payrolls in the NFL, yet we only have 2 legitimate Pro Bowlers.

mikey said:
I am not trying to sound like a "troll", as a previous poster is trying to insinuate.:D

I am trying to reconcile that fact that we have one of the highest payrolls in the NFL, yet we only have 2 legitimate Pro Bowlers.

Insinuate nothing, if you could see the games from under the bridge you'd know our talent is as good or better then most teams, and slightly underpaid by comparison.

you dont base how good a player is by the number of pro bowls he goes to do you? How many has Rodney gone to? He is/was one fo the best SS in the game? Mike VIck is a pro bowler and did nothing. Mark Brunell had a much better year and didnt make the pro bowl.

How is Vrabel not considered a Pro Bowler? Neal? Harrison (when healthy), Givens and Branch play at a pro bowl level they just don't get 80 catches because brady spreads the wealth. Light is a pro bowl tackle when healthy, Miller should have made the Pro Bowl and lets not forget Tedy. We have plenty of pro bowl talent, they just don't get the votes from the fans because the Pats are "Boring Team".

2 pro-bowlers = 3 Super Bowl Rings.

I dont care if these guys never get picked up by another team after they leave New England as long as he brings another championship here.

I think what you're noticing says a lot about the best teams finding the "right" players for their team... players that fit in the locker room, players that fit into the scheme of the team

when you select your team like BB and SP do, the sum of the whole truly is greater than the parts

That's not to say these former Patriots can't find the same thing elsewhere, but its tough to do and it absolutely takes time

For example - Andruzzi - Romeo scooped him up precisely because of his leadership, experience and locker room presence, hoping he would be an example for the rest of the team to follow

But Crennel doesn't have the luxury of replacing his entire team in one year, so it is understood that the impact of Andruzzi's presence might not be felt for quite sometime - indeed, the tone Andruzzi sets for the rest of the line might not be fully felt until after he is gone or retired

The probowl is a complete joke. If any of the Patriots get there...then fine I guess. But it isn't an accurate choice by the people who decide it.

I would rather have a superbowl ring anytime.

...is Ron Mexico really going to be in the probowl? That would explain everything right there.

I've always thought Pro Bowls are too often crap and Mike Vick is a good example. While Patten wasn't doing much in Washington, most years he was a Patriot, they didn't have much else to throw too which made him more valuable here. I think some ex-Pats have done pretty well. Woody is the Lions best OL, as someone else said, Andruzzi has helped the Browns have a run game, A Smith has done about what he did here when he's played, both TW and Bobby Hamilton have played well for the Raiders, although TW has been hurt. Milloy hasn't done any worse than he did his last year here and Law played pretty well considering the injury he had. Wiggins has become a better TE with the Vikings.
And there are some FA's the Patriots have picked up that haven't panned out as well as they'd looked with other teams either. BB and Pioli have done very weell over the years with FA's and the draft. But, they haven't been perfect either.

I also think what your noticing seems to bear out that the Patriots "spread the wealth" of spending to the cap by the way the middle 1/3 tier of players are paid.

NEM said:
Or Brady. There has always been the question as to whether Brady would succeed without Bill Belilchick?
I don't believe it. Brady is not a "system QB".

mikey said:

It's because the Patriots don't tend to buy high or low, but get the middle priced players. Thus few superstars (although I'd throw Vinatieri into the mix) but a lot of solid football players, allowing us more depth than most teams. For instance, how would have Indy done after losing Harrison and James at the same time (we had Dillon, Faulk, Pass, Givens out all at once)? So while we have few superstars, we have few weak links either. That works with Belichick's system, which requires teamowrk not super-human effort from one or two positions. And this has allowed us to perform at high levels while suffering significant injuries the past few years, and even clinch division this year.

Does that answer your question?

mikey said:

What does the amount of pro bowlers have to do with salary cap management. you have to pay 53 good players to field a team not 5 or 6 pro bowlers.

mikey said:

Please name these overpaid players. It is rather easy to pick out players on IR (Starks, Poole). BB and Pioli did not have the benefit of 20-20 hindsight as your post does.

mikey said:
But the team is still very dependent on very few key players like Brady.

What team is not???

Look at the Eagles. They have been one of the best cap-managed teams over the past several years. They have gone from a SB contender to a below .500 team. Why?? They lost a few key players.

Miguel said:
Please name these overpaid players. It is rather easy to pick out players on IR (Starks, Poole). BB and Pioli did not have the benefit of 20-20 hindsight as your post does.

I thought Dillon may be overpaid at $25 M for 5 years. Do you think any team will offer him that much? Don't get me wrong, I like Corey.

I can also name a few more, but I ran the risk of being called a troll :D.

mikey said:
I thought Dillon may be overpaid at $25 M for 5 years. Do you think any team will offer him that much? Don't get me wrong, I like Corey.

I can also name a few more, but I ran the risk of being called a troll :D.

No guts no glory. :trolls: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back