PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Patriot Ted Johnson Arrested For Assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
[ QUOTE=mcbee]How about if she takes an axe to his head? [ QUOTE=mcbee] How about a high heeled shoe ? 4 April 2002 (WENN) Tawny Kitaen Arrested On Spousal Abuse Charges Reuters reports that model and actress Tawny Kitaen was arrested Monday for beating her husband Chuck Finlay, a pitcher for the Cleveland Indians baseball team. According to the report, the couple started arguing in their car on the way home from dinner in California's Newport Beach area, where the couple live with their two children. Kitaen allegedly kicked Finlay with her high heel shoes, stomped on his foot while it was on the accelerator pedal of their car, and twisted his ear, leaving Finlay with visible bruises and abrasions. After arriving home, the couple continued to fight, making such a ruckus that a neighbor called police. When police arrived at the couple's home, Kitaen was taken into custody. She was arraigned on Wednesday, at which time she was officially charged with domestic abuse and ordered by the judge to stay away from Finlay until her next court appearance. Kitaen is best known for her co-starring role in the film Bachelor Party as well as a short-lived marriage to David Coverdale, frontman of '80s hair band Whitesnake, in whose videos she appeared. She was also arrested last year for allegedly vandalizing a car and was due to appear in court this month on those charges.

I'd hate to see everyone splitting hairs about the strawman argument of slapping women. None of us would hopefully ever do that.

The point is, the Johnsons know what happened, and we don't. The publicity will only make it more difficult for them to resolve their situation.

Some times, these domestic disputes can lead to a crisis which causes a family to work out their problems in a more constructive manner through counseling. The court often requires this to keep them out of jail.

Other times, they need to get divorced.

We will find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Ron Borges? said:
Key word there is your "son." When your son gets older and more developed, he'll be much stronger than 99 percent of the women in the world and I don't mean that to be sexist. I used to be a physical trainer and biologically, men are much stronger physically. That's just a fact. I'm not saying that a female can't be a blackbelt, a boxer or defend themselves. I'm saying in most maritial situations, if a man looses his temper, very few women can do anything about it. That's the reason why domestic abuse is a lot different and more serious than a kid's karate class.

Well, it's also my daughter's class, they're in different belt/age classifications. While I don't disagree with what you say and do not think you are sexist, I submit that these black belt women/sinseis can take care of themselves nicely. In most cases with a man and a woman, men are physically stronger, but there are women out there who have been trained to defend themselves. I say this so that men don't immediately dismiss women out of hand as far as self defense goes.

Any woman who yearns to learn self defense is smart to do so IMHO.

Bob G

The media pressured the Phillies to bench Brett Myers and most likely trade him because of the same exact charge. The outcry here in Boston was amazing with the sports media leading the way. We will not know the details of both situations until it comes to trial.

With that said, should TJ be on Ch 4 once football season starts? TJ is still in the public eye. He has "Patriots related employment" even though he is retired.

Is the situation different because he is one of our own? Both are not guilty until proven otherwise.

I personally think it would be hypocritcal of Lobel and gang to have him on the air based on the response to the Myers situation. I am related by marriage to a well known ESPN sportscaster and they are celebs as well as reporters. It is my understanding that they have moral clauses much like pro athletes have.

Last edited:
hallfamebrady said:
The media pressured the Phillies to bench Brett Myers and most likely trade him because of the same exact charge. The outcry here in Boston was amazing with the sports media leading the way. We will not know the details of both situations until it comes to trial.

With that said, should TJ be on Ch 4 once football season starts? TJ is still in the public eye. He has "Patriots related employment" even though he is retired.

Is the situation different because he is one of our own? Both are not guilty until proven otherwise.

I personally think it would be hypocritcal of Lobel and gang to have him on the air based on the response to the Myers situation. I am related by marriage to a well known ESPN sportscaster and they are celebs as well as reporters. It is my understanding that they have moral clauses much like pro athletes have.

I thought that TJ gave up his TV gig a couple of months ago. I could have sworn that I saw that posted here. :confused:

Sullivan, BB, now TJ. Bad news comes in threes, and hopefully this will be it for the offseason.

R

Ted informed CBS-4 months ago that he had decided to persue other business ventures. It was reported at the time that he was not comfortable with the level of criticism the role seemed to revolve around. I have a feeling after a few of his radio co-hosting gigs with Felger he was having trouble getting former teamates to return his calls.

The news reports here locally tonight say this was an argument that began in the car with their children on the way home from dinner and continued into the house. According to Ted both he and his wife are under a doctors care and on medication, didn't say for what, and they were for some reason fighting over his medication. She claimed when police arrived that he had twisted her arm and pushed her into a bookcase, and she had retaliated by striking back and clawing at him. Neither plans to press charges, they are hoping the matter can be dropped and they have asked for privacy to work on their problems.

Like I said before, adjusting to retirement from life as and NFL player, or the wife of an NFL player, can be very stressful.

hallfamebrady said:
Yeah and for some reason we didn't see the outcry for patience and understanding for Brett Myers as we see here for Ted Johnson. As long as it's not our guy, we'll rip him to shreds. Heck....if this was Manny Ramirez, Red Sox fans would be chanting "wife beater" the next game.

hallfamebrady said:

I think there are some difference between the Myers situation and the Johnson situation. Brett Myers punched his wife, dragged her down the street by her hair in front of witnesses. Although he too is innocent until proven guilty, it is hard to ignore the stories of people who witnessed the action. (I actually heard an interview with one of the witnesses.) As I understand it...there are photographs of his wife's face which are not too pretty.

The Johnson case is different in that we do not have any witnesses and they were both charged with domestic assault. I am not minimizing the actions of Ted Johnson. I am just saying we do not have all the facts in this case.

If he were still working in TV (and he is not) then it would be prudent not to go on the air until the matter is resolved.

Last edited:
I haven't been following this until today - reading between the lines it sounds to me like his wife is addicted to pain killers, though perhaps both of them are and he's getting tired of sharing

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba.../ex_patriot_player_wife_arrested_after_scrap/

In the best case scenario its tough love from Ted to get her to stop - in the worst case they both need help, though I'm sure there were better ways Ted could have dealt with the situation. Physical violence is never an answer.

Last edited:
AStack75 said:
Yeah and for some reason we didn't see the outcry for patience and understanding for Brett Myers as we see here for Ted Johnson. As long as it's not our guy, we'll rip him to shreds. Heck....if this was Manny Ramirez, Red Sox fans would be chanting "wife beater" the next game.

You wouldn't see that here becasue this is a FOOTBALL forum and baseball is not allowed. Football people are different from baseball people.

I saw NO discussion on this board about the baseball freaks.

Look at the baseball sites to see if there was an "outcry" for understanding. If there was or wasn't that should be posted on the baseball forum.

it is disappointing to read a bout Ted Johnson in a negative light. I have met Ted Johnson and seen him on TV plenty of times and he has always come off as a great guy. We all have our bad moments I guess.

MoLewisrocks said:
Ted informed CBS-4 months ago that he had decided to persue other business ventures. It was reported at the time that he was not comfortable with the level of criticism the role seemed to revolve around. I have a feeling after a few of his radio co-hosting gigs with Felger he was having trouble getting former teamates to return his calls.

The news reports here locally tonight say this was an argument that began in the car with their children on the way home from dinner and continued into the house. According to Ted both he and his wife are under a doctors care and on medication, didn't say for what, and they were for some reason fighting over his medication. She claimed when police arrived that he had twisted her arm and pushed her into a bookcase, and she had retaliated by striking back and clawing at him. Neither plans to press charges, they are hoping the matter can be dropped and they have asked for privacy to work on their problems.

Like I said before, adjusting to retirement from life as and NFL player, or the wife of an NFL player, can be very stressful.

I was not aware of the fact he is no longer on CBS 4.

We need to be consistent about these issues. I hope TJ and his wife get all the help they need. We do not know all the facts. Right now, we pretend to know them based on media reports which makes it look like there are migating cicumstances. Most of us usually do not accept media reports as the word of God. If we did, we would be ripping BB right now.

With that said, we should not overshadow the charges since he is one of us. He does face rather serious charges. We have demonized several people who have had similar charges brought against them.

I do not agree with Nuts comments. We have absolutely torn apart football players when they been arrested on similar charges.

Last edited:
hallfamebrady said:
I was not aware of the fact he is no longer on CBS 4.

We need to be consistent about these issues. I hope TJ and his wife get all the help they need. We do not know all the facts. Right now, we pretend to know them based on media reports which makes it look like there are migating cicumstances. Most of us usually do not accept media reports as the word of God. If we did, we would be ripping BB right now.

With that said, we should not overshadow the charges since he is one of us. He does face rather serious charges. We have demonized several people who have had similar charges brought against them.

I do not agree with Nuts comments. We have absolutely torn apart football players when they been arrested on similar charges.

So what would you have us do - revoke his retirement? He is no longer an "entertainer" which is basically what athletes are paid to do - entertain us. The outcry is generally a byproduct of their embarassing rather than entertaining us. Ted is a private citizen now.

The way the law works unless the police or other witnesses see a domestic assault in progress, or the obvious injuries are so one sided as to be self explanatory, arrest aside these cases can seldom be taken to trial. In this case both Ted and Jackie already stipulated they will not testify against each other, and they cannot be compelled to. Myers wife bailed him out, so it's unlikely she will testify either. But in that case the assault was one sided and occurred on a public street in plain view of several witnesses. The Johnson's have admitted each got physical with the other in an argument in the privacy of their own home. The only discrepancy is who got physical first, and what was at stake (since they were apparently arguing about use of a medication prescribed for one of them).

Besides which, I think we do all too much "demonizing" on this site already and find the calls for more are becoming knee-jerk. Players and staffers and their families occasionally frequent these sites. Yet we keep losing sight of that ourselves. At times they must often wonder with fans like these who needs enemies. I recall talking to Derek Lowe one day at Fenway - as genuinely friendly and easy going a star athlete as a fan could ever meet (although apparently he was a little too friendly with some he met in bars late at night). He jokingly commented that one day you love us and the next day you hate us. That's why smart players learn to treat sports as a business. It's their livlihood, and the fans who adore them when they succeed oblivious to any warts are the same ones who will demand their evisceration when they stumble on or off the field. Which is why players are advised by their agents not to ever let something as fleeting as fan adulation cause you to loose sight of the bottom line.

MoLewisrocks said:
So what would you have us do - revoke his retirement? He is no longer an "entertainer" which is basically what athletes are paid to do - entertain us. The outcry is generally a byproduct of their embarassing rather than entertaining us. Ted is a private citizen now.

The way the law works unless the police or other witnesses see a domestic assault in progress, or the obvious injuries are so one sided as to be self explanatory, arrest aside these cases can seldom be taken to trial. In this case both Ted and Jackie already stipulated they will not testify against each other, and they cannot be compelled to. Myers wife bailed him out, so it's unlikely she will testify either. But in that case the assault was one sided and occurred on a public street in plain view of several witnesses. The Johnson's have admitted each got physical with the other in an argument in the privacy of their own home. The only discrepancy is who got physical first, and what was at stake (since they were apparently arguing about use of a medication prescribed for one of them).

Besides which, I think we do all too much "demonizing" on this site already and find the calls for more are becoming knee-jerk. Players and staffers and their families occasionally frequent these sites. Yet we keep losing sight of that ourselves. At times they must often wonder with fans like these who needs enemies. I recall talking to Derek Lowe one day at Fenway - as genuinely friendly and easy going a star athlete as a fan could ever meet (although apparently he was a little too friendly with some he met in bars late at night). He jokingly commented that one day you love us and the next day you hate us. That's why smart players learn to treat sports as a business. It's their livlihood, and the fans who adore them when they succeed oblivious to any warts are the same ones who will demand their evisceration when they stumble on or off the field. Which is why players are advised by their agents not to ever let something as fleeting as fan adulation cause you to loose sight of the bottom line.

Mo,

We agree but disagree.

I do agree that players have the right to an off the field personal life. I do think society has gone way too far in this area. Most stars are prisoners of their own success. I really do not care what someone does off the field unless it harms someone else.

I also think everyone has the right to gain suitable employment. The team and player have to decide what is best. Fans can show their dismay by not watching or attending a game or games if they do not agree. The team and individual has to live with the choices they make.

I do think there is a double standard in that we grill opposing players for similar actions. I do think AStack 75 is dead on with his comments about Manny Ramirez. We want downplay the TJ situation because we like him. Brett Myers and TJ were charged with the same crime. We forgive TJ while crucifying Myers.

I really do hope the TJ situation works out for the best. I am not going condone or condemn his actions since I was not there. This is the case for any individual until they are found innocent or guilty.

Last edited:
Did anyone catch the interview on 4 tonight?? It will be aired in its entirety tomorrow night..OF COURSE Lobell is there..the first...LOL...

whatever happened with that girl Bledsoe crippled at the mosh pit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pats726 said:
Did anyone catch the interview on 4 tonight?? It will be aired in its entirety tomorrow night..OF COURSE Lobell is there..the first...LOL...

Yes I saw it. Mrs. Johnson seemed to say it was her fault and that she should have never called the police. Ted didn't hurt her. He did grab her arm and pushed her into the bookcase. She went after him.

She seems to be wanting to take his pain meds and he was tryig to stop her.

This whole thing should never have been made public. I know that it is public record and the media has the right to release it. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should.

I guess that the only good thng about this mess is that school is out. The kids don't have to go to and be teased about it. Maybe it will all blow over by then.

I saw the interview last night too. Looks like things are all fine and dandy now:

http://cbs4boston.com/topstories/local_story_204070716.html

Jul 24, 2006 6:51 am US/Eastern Ted Johnson & Wife Talk About Arrests After Fight

(CBS4) WESTON

Former Patriot Ted Johnson and his wife Jackie say their arrests on assault charges after a fight last week were "a terrible misunderstanding". They spoke exclusively with CBS4's Bob Lobel.

“I take responsibility for this. I really do. My husband, I adore him, and, it was my fault, it was my fault. And that’s why I wanted to come forward.”

Jackie Johnson is taking responsibility for the incident at their Weston home July 16 that landed both her and her husband Ted before a judge charged with assault.

Bob Lobel: I guess I have to ask. At any time did you feel, honestly feel you were in danger?

Jackie: Never, never.

Bob: There were some serious charges this week. That police report had some serious details. How did that all come about?

Jackie: Do I want to take that back? Yes. And am I sorry for it, unbelievably. I can’t. All I can do is come here and say to the community, please, judge my husband not on this but, but on the track record that he’s created in this community for the past ten years.

But the couple admits what happened in their Weston home got out of their control. According to the police report obtained by CBS4, the two had been arguing last Sunday night about prescription drugs prescribed to Ted that Jackie was trying to take. In the report Jackie says a struggle began and Ted grabbed her by the arm, twisted it behind her and pushed her into the bookcase. It goes onto say she defended herself by punching pushing and scratching him.

Ted: That’s not me. I would never… I would never do that. And, you know, people gonna believe what they’re gonna believe.

Jackie: It breaks my heart to think I would be responsible with one emotional, irresponsible call in destroying this beautiful mans reputation.

Both Ted and Jackie pleaded not guilty. They're due back in court in September.

Ted Johnson worked as a football analyst for CBS4 last season.

He resigned two months ago to pursue other opportunities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back