PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Patriot Ted Johnson Arrested For Assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm Ron Borges? said:
There is no excuse ever for a man hitting a woman. Biologically we are much stronger and if your friend doesn't have enough self-control to not strike his wife under any circumstance, he should be in jail in my opinion. I'm sure most of us males have been in situations like that and I bet most of us didn't haul off and slap the girl either. I think that's the most gutless thing a man can do. Oh, he got scratched all over his neck. What a bunch of garbage. I'm sure that hurt just the same as a much stronger person slapping someone in the face. I like you 5 Rings, you bring a lot to the table but that post borders on ignorant.

Careful. You should see my son's karate class. Some of the best fighters are female. There are some female black belt sinseis who could break anyone in two if they wanted to.

Bob G

When I say scratched, I mean she was trying to penetrate his vein with her nails, which would have caused him to bleed to death. He had pictures taken of the cuts for court evidence. I shudder just thinking about what it looked like. She also tried to light him on fire with a lighter, at which point he slapped her.

But like I said, nothing ever came of it and they continue to live normal lives with their kids being normal, as well.

I won't take sides with the Johnson issue either, without knowing what actually happened.

To compare the Johnson situation with OJ Simpson is completely stupid. Especially without knowing what happened.

I would suggest that we let the Johnsons and the police figure out how to handle the situation.

Last edited:
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
To compare the Johnson situation with OJ Simpson is completely stupid. Especially without knowing what happened.
Obviously. My point is you seemed to just brush aside any domestic dispute simply because your friend had one that turned out to be not so big of a deal. I'm just saying they don't always have a happy ending like your friend had.

I'm not brushing anything aside, I'm just not going to have a kneejerk reaction. The lady did get arrested, so I am going to assume that they were perhaps both at fault. It is not my place to worry about their life. The police and court system and social services will be only too happy to assist.

bobgeorge said:
Careful. You should see my son's karate class. Some of the best fighters are female. There are some female black belt sinseis who could break anyone in two if they wanted to.

Bob G

Key word there is your "son." When your son gets older and more developed, he'll be much stronger than 99 percent of the women in the world and I don't mean that to be sexist. I used to be a physical trainer and biologically, men are much stronger physically. That's just a fact. I'm not saying that a female can't be a blackbelt, a boxer or defend themselves. I'm saying in most maritial situations, if a man looses his temper, very few women can do anything about it. That's the reason why domestic abuse is a lot different and more serious than a kid's karate class.

When I say scratched, I mean she was trying to penetrate his vein with her nails, which would have caused him to bleed to death. He had pictures taken of the cuts for court evidence. I shudder just thinking about what it looked like. She also tried to light him on fire with a lighter, at which point he slapped her.

But like I said, nothing ever came of it and they continue to live normal lives with their kids being normal, as well.

I wasn't there, and I have not taken any side of the issue. I won't with the Johnson issue either, without knowing what actually happened.

I would suggest that we let the Johnsons and the police figure out how to handle the situation.

Well, in your defense, that lady does sound pretty nuts. Not to make light of it but I laughed out loud when you said she tried to set him on fire. I never heard that one before.

Dear Lord, it's the End of Days. I'm 100% in agreement with Ron Borges.

Cripes. Watch for swarms of locusts next.

I think that if my friend's family situation was plastered all over the newspapers, it would have made the situation 1000 times worse for the kids, and for him and his wife.

What the Johnsons need most right now is for us all to back off.

It is no wonder that celebrities can never stay married. It is impossible to function under that kind of scrutiny when you have personal problems.

If it really needs to be spelled out for you, Borges, I don't consider hitting women to be appropriate behavior. As far as I know, my friend has never until that night, and I doubt he will again. He is actually a very mellow person. His wife is very loud and aggressive, which is why it takes a mellow person to put up with her.

I personally won't find myself in that situation, because I would have left her long ago, but my friend puts up with her paranoia and anger quite well. Beer and cigarettes seem to help.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
This should NOT be a news story. This should NOT be on this board.

TJ is retired. He and his wife should be able to work out their problems without the whole world knowing about it.

Patschick brought up the kids. Yes, it is sad when the parents fight and the police have to come to the house. It even more sad when the media gets a hold of it and now everyone these kids know now know about it.

Those poor kids don't deserve that.

The kids never deserve it, unfortunately their parents are generally among the first who loose sight of that. But domestic assaults that result in the arrest of either party are news. They print arrest reports in local papers. Most don't get any more mention than that, but if either of the parties are high profile they generally will. I don't have a problem with it being reported, it is what it is. However if any of the locals were to devote front page headlines and photos of the couple particularly at this stage, I would be disgusted.

PATSNUTme said:
This should NOT be a news story. This should NOT be on this board.

TJ is retired. He and his wife should be able to work out their problems without the whole world knowing about it.

Patschick brought up the kids. Yes, it is sad when the parents fight and the police have to come to the house. It even more sad when the media gets a hold of it and now everyone these kids know now know about it.

Those poor kids don't deserve that.
So, whenever another player on another team gets in trouble with the law we shouldn't speak of it, because its not news? Talking about it on this site is not going to make any real difference on them working it out. The only relevance is if this should be in another forum.

AStack75 said:
Well if he was a man and didn't hit his wife, then we wouldn't have to worry about minding our own f-ing business.

And, you were there? You know what happened, exactly?

Your smug remark "it's all about the children" show that you don't have a clue.

The media could keep this quiet until all of the facts are known. If TJ has slapped around his wife then he should be open for public ridicule. But it could be somethng entirely different.

Sorry, but I find it impossible to believe that your friend couldn't have extricated himself from the situation without resorting to striking a female.

I've had women go ballistic on me and I never once hit or pushed back. That's why I can look at myself in the mirror every morning.

It is no wonder that celebrities can never stay married. It is impossible to function under that kind of scrutiny when you have personal problems.
I believe there are 2 major reasons celebrities can't stay married:

1) They don't really want to. They like the publicity and attention of getting married, getting divorced, getting into new relationships or whatever. There's no such thing as bad press for some of these people.

2) Celebrity relationships tend to be based on superficial qualities, and those are the most fleeting once a relationship has gone on for a while.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
There is no excuse ever for a man hitting a woman. Biologically we are much stronger
Not all men are bigger and stroinger than all women.

If you want to make a case nor non-violence, great.

But there are excuses for hitting women. If you try hard, you might think of one or two. You might think of self-defense (once you get past your idea that women are frail helpless little girls). Another might be a women trying to abduct your child.

Watch the always, nevers and absolutes.

Stick with the "in general" and you'll be right most of the time. Always and never are always wrong and never right :D

Last edited by a moderator:
What is it with you guys? I am not defending some guy for hitting a girl, I am saying that the Johnson case might turn out to be a situation which will resolve itself in time if they want to work it out.

You guys keep jumping on this complete straw hat argument about it not being okay to hit women. Well, duh! That has nothing at all to do with what I said, and you are hopelessly misguided if you really think that I showed any kind of positive opinion about my friend slapping his crazy wife.

At the time, I was pissed at him for a while about hitting her, and he was pissed that I took longer to get over it than she did, or the family did. In fact, I don't have any contact with them lately. So I took a clear stand on the issue, and expressed my displeasure with him.

But you guys want to miss the point in order to argue something that we all already agree on, you don't hit women. Duh!

Why don't we let the Johnsons work out their own problems.

MoLewisrocks said:
The transition from focused professional athlete and his lovely homemaker wife to retired athlete and the homemaker who wasn't used to having him at loose ends and underfoot can be highly stressful. His attempt at staying involved in the game via a media job didn't pan out in part because he didn't like the tone his own reporting was taking.
Just sad for them both and the kids. Let's hope the Herald and it's tabloid media siblings can refrain from harassing them or plastering their pictures on the front page.

this is what i think too about this.
i hope and i wish all will be settled.
when # 52 Ted Johnson was with us he was one of my favorite players too.
again: let's hope all will finish well for their Family.

That is the truth. Let's hope they can work this out for the better.

Last edited:
I'm Ron Borges? said:
There is no excuse ever for a man hitting a woman. Biologically we are much stronger and if your friend doesn't have enough self-control to not strike his wife under any circumstance, he should be in jail in my opinion. I'm sure most of us males have been in situations like that and I bet most of us didn't haul off and slap the girl either. I think that's the most gutless thing a man can do. Oh, he got scratched all over his neck. What a bunch of garbage. I'm sure that hurt just the same as a much stronger person slapping someone in the face. I like you 5 Rings, you bring a lot to the table but that post borders on ignorant.

So a man shouldn't hit his wife under any circumstances. Bravo you sensitive man you! Way to get up on that soapbox.

How about if she takes an axe to his head? Is he allowed to defend himself? "No! Not by hitting her!" Bravo, Borges.

"Women always good, man always bad see Mommy! I learned my lesson, can I go out on a date with nice girlie now?". LOL

And why should a guy put up with having his neck bloodied or eyes scratched out in order to be "sensitive"? Is that what the law says? A female is basically allowed to murder a man and he can't raise a hand to defend himself? It didn't say he broke her jaw or knocked her out. A slap could have been alot less painful than what she did to him.

Does being a sensitive man ever get you anywhere with the ladies? In my experience guys like you beat up on other guys (lecturing the forum like you just did) in order to curry favor with women. But women hate that. They hate kiss-asses.

I might as well add that my EX-friend (if it makes you feel better) never got into trouble with the law because what he did was strictly self defense.

Again, not that I would ever condone such behavior. Again, I made it very clear to him that I was super disappointed in him for his behavior. Again, it pretty much ended our friendship over the long haul.

I hung out with him every weekend and watched football until that fight. In the several years since, I may have seen him two or three times, total. He knows I didn't like his behavior.

Last edited:
I think that this thread has become a candidate to be locked and moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back