PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Patriot, Star of 2012 Hard Knocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Former Patriot Star of 2012 Hard Knocks

Sounds like he might not be as free as he thinks:

"We all have an obligation, we all have a responsibility and he either needs to fall in line or not," Philbin told the cameras afterwards while also admitting Johnson's unwillingness to cooperate could get him cut.

I like Chad. But I also hope Chung, Spikes, or Hightower clean his clock once or twice this year.

No thread title nor any sentence in a post should ever contain "Patriot" and "Star" together when referring to Chad Johnson.

Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa. Should have put a comma after Star. I'll see if I can edit.

No thread title nor any sentence in a post should ever contain "Patriot" and "Star" together when referring to Chad Johnson.

Good point. In Miami, Chad Jonhson is Chad Jonhson again.

For the folks that watched - what was your initial impression of Joe Philbin? My first take was that he’s a competent coach who needs to assert his authority a bit more. He could become a solid head coach.

For the folks that watched - what was your initial impression of Joe Philbin? My first take was that he’s a competent coach who needs to assert his authority a bit more. He could become a solid head coach.

I agree with you! I just watched it, and thought that he could become a decent HC!

As for CJ, I found him amusing at first and then became tired of him!

I agree. There were a few instances where I thought his inexperience shined through.

1.) Chad just barges into a coaches meeting and sits down. Doesn't say anything..just kind of shocked.
2.) Reprimanding Johnson on the cussing in his press conference. He just kind of rambled incoherently. He just need to say "Chad, when in the public eye, you represent the Dolphins organization. I don't care if you have fun with the media, just do it in a non-vulgar way"
3.) Explaining the depth-chart to the QB's. He was almost apologetic and didn't show conviction in the ranking.

These things are just experience, I think.

I agree with you! I just watched it, and thought that he could become a decent HC!

As for CJ, I found him amusing at first and then became tired of him!

Coaching staff seemed to be working through the same process. He walked in on a coaches only player assessment meeting like it was something for him to do to kill time. Philbin seemed really annoyed by the presser language, told him an occasional FU for effect is one thing but when you overdue it it just becomes a reason to tune you out. And he told him ever so gently (which may be Philbin's achilles heel) that isn't the image the organization wants to project and players public behavior including statements to media is a reflection of the organization.

Philbin seemed to be struggling to explain to Chad that what the Dolphins are doing isn't going to be all about him. I thought I caught a diss on his blocking during the coaches discussions, too. I think when the real bullits start flying their tolerance level will increasingly wane. He isn't the same player in pads as he is in shorts and shells, and that's just practicing against each other. Philbin knows on some level he's at the beginning of a process of culture as well as system change and he can't really have a lot of tolerance for individual egos. The coaches really don't like Davis as a team football player, but like Chad they will likely have to make an effort to work with whatever talent they can muster at least early on. By mid season if it's clear they are best served focusing on the long haul, guys like them may become expendible.

I've seen bits and pieces of Hardknocks reruns before, but this is the first time I've been able to watch it (house sitting for a friend who has HBO). This edition at least at the outset seems somewhat contrived. Maybe that's just a result of editing choices. I learned next to nothing about the organization or the team or the process last night beyond Chad is seeking out his camera time and performing for it, Vontae Davis is a coaching management pain in the ass, Joe Philbin is overly concerned about bruising anyone's feelings, they are desperate for Tannehill to make the other two expendible and terrified of the possibility that the players will rally to back Moore.

What about Ryan Tannehill's wife? I heard a lot a hype about her hotness prior to the show, and truthfully I found myself a little disapointed. She is defintely pretty, but just a little too skinny for my taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes