Welcome to PatsFans.com

"Former" Klansman (Exalted Cyclops) Dead At 92

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  2. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +679 / 6 / -9

I knew the moment I saw the CNN headline of Byrd's death this morning that I'd come here to find another typically classy thread by Wolfpack.

3. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +101 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

So, you're a supporter of Klansmen?

4. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 32 / -49

No Jersey Selected

Why should anybody be classy toward that P.O.S.?

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

No one person is all good or all bad. People make mistakes, people either repent of those mistakes or they don't. President Bush was an alcoholic for years - I seldom, if ever, see anyone start a thread, for or against him, with FORMER RAVING DRUNK as a title.

People move on - Byrd moved on.

In his latest autobiography, Byrd explained that he was a member because he "was sorely afflicted with tunnel vision—a jejune and immature outlook—seeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions."

Byrd also said, in 2005, “ I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened. ”

Byrd has since explicitly renounced his earlier views on racial segregation. Byrd said that he regrets filibustering and voting against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and would change it if he had the opportunity. He has stated that joining the KKK was "the greatest mistake I ever made".

In the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People's (NAACP)[59] Congressional Report Card for the 108th Congress (spanning the 2003–2004 congressional session), Byrd was awarded with an approval rating of 100 percent for favoring the NAACP's position in all 33 bills presented to the United States Senate regarding issues of their concern. Only 16 other Senators of the same session matched this approval rating.

In June 2005, Byrd proposed an additional $10 million in federal funding for the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial in Washington, D.C., remarking that "With the passage of time, we have come to learn that his Dream was the American Dream, and few ever expressed it more eloquently."

Robert Byrd - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What makes my post non-classy? Is there a single thing in my post which is inaccurate? I didn't even give any opinion on the man. Every single thing I put in my post is 100% verifiable fact.

I guess facts aren't "classy" enough when talking about democrats.

7. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

When I saw the headlines in this mornings news, I tried not to think the word, good. I told myself I shouldn't think about what party would replace him. I wouldn't offer my condolences and wouldn't mention term limits when I posted here. Never liked the guy, but would never post a title like that above for anyone who just passed. Tho, I expected it from one of the usual suspects.

8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh, I can understand people make mistakes and forgive them for same. And sorry, but I don't consider alcoholism (an addiction that primarily destroys the self) to be in the same league as the Klan, which murdered black people whenever given the chance.

You seem to be under the misguided impression that Byrd was a guy who simply went to a couple Klan rallies before abandoning their disgusting, despicable agenda. No. He was a recruiter, a major supporter, and heavily involved with that hateful, vile organization for a large part of his early adult life. He rose to high rank within that organization, and was revered and exalted by its members.

He then followed those open minded, tolerant actions with a 14 hour filibuster of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 - and this is back in the day when a filibuster was a real filibuster. But hey, he was only (almost) 50 years old at the time. Anyone can have a little youthful indiscretion, right? Why make such a big deal over a half century of hating black people?

That is not a guy who made a "mistake." That is a guy who is a racist lowlife degenerate piece of crap. But you're hell bent on defending him because he had a (D) after his name. :rolleyes:

9. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +679 / 6 / -9

Oh, I don't know. Maybe because he just died?

I didn't go pissing all over Strom Thurmond's grave when he passed. Just give your respects, or don't say anything at all.

10. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +679 / 6 / -9

The fact that you don't even understand (which seems to be a common occurrence, in your case) says more about you than I ever could.

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +672 / 2 / -9

Everything in the title of this thread is fact and the first post in this thread is fact what do democrats want to do "make believe it isn't so"

Byrd was a high ranking member of the Ku Klux Klan that is a fact, Robert Byrd was at one time a "Cross Burning Racist" that is a fact, Byrd himself is the only one that knows for sure if in his heart he truly "changed"

There is an old saying in the deep south "Once A Klucker Always A Klucker"

He's a democrat so he must of changed.....:rolleyes:

12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So you admit that everything in my post to start this thread is 100% factually accurate (although I admit some of my replies since the original post have been laced with personal opinion). Thank you.

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Well, since you asked.....

The "truth" is - the quote you chose to eulogize Senator Byrd with was something he said in 1944. 66 years ago......Ronald Reagan was a hack cowboy movie star 66 years before he died but the headlines weren't "Former" Spaghetti Western Actor Dead with the body of the story some quote he made when he was 26 years old. Heck, Harry was a Democrat 66 years ago but you don't hold that against him today, do you? If Harry were to expire tomorrow would you start a thread entitled, ""Former" Moonbat DipSh!t Dies," or would you remember him as something a bit more current? Something within the past, oh say, 35 years or so?

"Classy" would have been including some of the other things he'd said in his lifetime......or an acknowledgement that he'd apologized profusely numerous times for the one remark you did choose to sum up his contributions.

"Inaccuracy" is when you choose not to.

Any yes, you did, in fact, offer opinion when you placed quotations around the word "former."

It's called the value of puncuation - or how to imply the exact opposite of what you say in the printed media.

Quote marks are the raised eyebrow, elbow in the side, total eye-roll of print.

14. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +679 / 6 / -9

You're aware that being factually accurate doesn't mean you're automatically exhibiting class and good grace (which I would dispute, though it certainly seems reasonable given that you would be susceptible to routine grammatical errors)? I should probably stop making these charitable assumptions in your favor since most of the time I question whether you even know what day it is.

I'm wondering, did you harbor the same sentiment toward the late Strom Thurmond?

15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Would that be the same Civil Rights Act that Rand Paul has some problems with today?

The same filibuster that Byrd has since admitted regretting?

Byrd Says He Regrets Voting For Patriot Act

Sen. Robert Byrd, the dean of the Senate and its resident constitutional expert, counts only a few regrets in his 48-year Senate career: filibustering the 1964 Civil Rights Act, voting to expand the Vietnam War, deregulating airlines

I've not "defended" him, WP. I've simply supplied some missing pieces.

16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

The guy was a recruiter for the klan. He's done far worse in his life to ordinary people, than Woldpack could ever do to him in this thread. Seriously, look at that quote. How this man was/is an elected official in this country, is mind boggling. People like Byrd, and Strom Thurmond, should never be in office. We get what we deserve people. I feel bad for his family, since losing a loved one is never easy, but I won't shed a tear for someone with his history.

17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It never ceases to amaze (or disgust) me how for and how low some will go to defend a politician just because they happen to have a (D) after their last name.

Everything I wrote in my post to start this thread is 100% accurate, verifiable fact. And still I am being argued with. :rolleyes:

18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are you even remotely capable of talking like an adult, without including your usual backhanded ad hominem personal attack? What's that? You're not? No, I didn't think so.

Too bad you can't discuss an issue intelligently and without insults.
    If you want to discuss Strom Thurmond, could you please start your own thread instead of hijacking mine? K thx bye.

It never ceases to amaze (or disgust) me how low some will go to defend people just because they happen to have a (D) after their name.

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Deflect, redirect, hijack, deflect, redirect, hijack. :rolleyes:
    Ah yes, the liberal's favorite cowardly response. "I'm not defending Robert Byrd, I'm just attacking the people that attack him!"

Do you honestly think you're fooling anybody here? :rolleyes:

20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +379 / 11 / -28

Robert Byrd RIP... he made a lot of mistakes when he was young and stupid, but got smarter when he got older..

The christian ethic is to forgive when forgiveness is asked..

The christian ethic is not to judge, lest you will be judged..

Whether he was truthful or not, will not be judged by mortals..

The people of West Virginia, who elected him, loved him and forgave him.. in 9 elections he never got less than 64% of the people's vote..

The rest is all partisan banter, like him or dislike him is not the issue.. he was elected by his constituency as they viewed him as doing a good job..

RIP Robert Byrd..