Welcome to PatsFans.com

Former Guantanamo prisoner testifies of abuse to US congressional panel

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, May 21, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Stop attacking America Wes, repeat after me, "he's just a lying terrorist, he's just a lying terrorist....."
  3. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, Wes does have a habit of posting thread after thread of items critical of the US which are routinely shot down after only cursory research into the backstory. This one is no different. Now, if any of this stuff DID happen at guantanamo I hope those responsible are tried, convicted, and locked up and the key thrown away. This guy's claims are laughably ridiculous though, and yet they are just assumed to be the truth. Think about this, the US interrogation program (even call it torture if you want to) was very carefully crafted, and permission to use any method was specified and approved by the highest levels of government (the President, as well as select members of Congress). Everything that went on was approved and documented, to protect the interrogators from prosecution at a later date. We KNOW what the US has done, and it is shameful enough. We should accept as fact outlandish claims from someone who may have been instructed to lie about torture during any detainment? (that is found in the AQ field manual) He claims people died from torture, that they had unnecessary amputations, is there evidence of this? All I could find were stories about the suicides in 2006. Oh he's also trying to sell his book, another possible motivation to sensationalize his treatment. Here's a view of his story from the other side:

http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/Article.aspx?id=868

I do think we need to either try or release the prisoners there and close guantanamo as a holding pen for suspected terrorists. It can only be an embarrassment to the US, and against our values detaining prisoners of war in a war that may never end.
  4. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

"Laughably ridiculous?" Not even close....

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN20324790

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 5 / -21

When we use torture we become just like them.. this stuff will kick us in the ass in the long run.

In reality this guy can say just about anything, as there is not much access to what is going on there and no one to dispute what he is saying.
  6. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +82 / 5 / -9

#37 Jersey

We treat the animals better than they treat their own daughters, and these kooky liberal want to cry for them. What the ****! Then if we get attacked again, half the liberals will say we didn't do enough and the other half will say we did it ourselves. We are so fucked the next 4 years.
  7. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You're right, "laughably ridiculous" was over the top, but there is a BIG difference between things we know are used, like humiliation, sleep depravation, hot/cold stress, scare tactics, etc. and some of the stuff he's claiming, like electrocution, torture until death, forced amputation, etc. Waterboarding is closer, though the damage done by waterboarding is psychological, whereas these other things are physically damaging (and much more likely to be fatal). I don't think we should use waterboarding except in the most extreme circumstances, and if it is used the President needs to sign off on it, recognize it is most likely illegal, and take the consequences (instead of just trying to claim its legal, as the current admin has done).

I also should point out that I didn't make it clear in my first post that I don't blame wes for what he posts, they are things that support his views, and he is very careful to be faithful to the articles he posts (for example he usually just copies the article title as the thread title rather than making one based on his opinions). Its just that I get frustrated reading thread after thread quoting articles with either lazy journalism or downright deceitful journalism. It happens both ways too, there's plenty of right wing junk that gets posted, its just that wes happens to be a prolific poster so I notice it more.
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 5 / -21

you are a ill informed soothsayer, reminds of a post last week that stated that if we were attacked it will be Pelosi's fault.. need to get a grip her folks.
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -12

Funny how some take every claim by a terrorist and those trying to kill Americans at face value.....
  10. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

boo hoo for this terrorist nancy. i hope they throw him back in there. i couldn't care less about this story. then again, i have clearly documented my hatred for muslim terrorists and my feelings about immediately executing them. ah, to be from the old school...
  11. Siddiqi

Siddiqi Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I read this guys story before it was posted here. He was just a Turkish kid going to Pakistan to learn more about Islam. I bet some Pakistani sold him out to get money. What people don't realize is that after the war with the Taliban people were selling out their rivals or foreigners for bounties. We took these bounty sellers at their word and resulting in many people getting thrown in Gitmo for no reason.
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -12

Then again there was the guy we let go who promptly went back to Iraq and blew hisself up in s suicide attack....
  13. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, but I think that we can keep fighting the war on terror and protecting our own security just as effectively while still ending some practices that unnecessarily hurt our reputation around the world and build negative sentiments about the US by doing things like ending indefinite detentions without trial, trying to avoid sending detainees to countries we know use torture (sometimes we have to capitulate to keep our "allies" happy I know), denouncing waterboarding and calling it illegal rather than trying to push it as a legal tactic, and I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting. I'm all about an aggressive foreign policy, and doing what's best to protect America, but some of these things I think can be toned down or eliminated outright, and our efforts won't suffer. Remember, not everyone that has gone to gitmo has been an Al Qaeda terrorist. We need to protect the rights of any potentially innocent men that are brought there rather than painting them all with the brush of being jihadist killers. Bringing 'em in and letting 'em sit indefinitely is not a good way to deal with them.
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 1 / -9

Gitmo:
    Turn them all loose, put ankle bracelets on them and make them live in San Francisco or Hollywood.

:bricks:
  15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

It's funny how you assume he's a terrorist. So now the U.S. is in the business of releasing terrorists from Gitmo?
  16. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

If you had me locked up in Guantanamo with a lawyer or a sense of time and tortured me, I'd be pretty pissed when I got out too. And so would you.
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -12

I wouldn't try to blow up myself and others, how bout you?

The avg Gitmo prision puts on 20 lbs, maybe he was upset he wasn't being fed properly?
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 1 / -9

Some of them they turned loose wanted to go back, they said they ate good, played soccer all day, had their clothes cleaned for them, didn't have any responsibilities, regular exercise, brand new Qurans & Little Rugs to pray on and one guy said the best part of being in Gitmo was, NO DONKEY SH1T to clean up.

If Gitmo was as bad as the Bush Hating Blame America crowd say it is you would be hearing plenty from these two Grinning Hand Clapping clowns Hillary/Barwhacko and the new big player on the scene, Miss Michelle.

PRAISE ALLAH
    SEND ME BACK TO GITMO
    LIFE THE WAY IT SHOULD BE

:bricks:
  19. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well, well, well you just can't tell
    Well, well, well my Michelle
    Well, well, well you never can tell
    Well, well, well my Michelle
  20. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

do you have a link for that claim about 20 lbs?

And yes, sitting in a room, never seeing the light of day, and not knowing when, if ever, you are going to get out or if your family is still alive would drive you insane.

You'd better believe that if I was rounded up and stuck in Guantanamo Bay for 4 years for no reason, I'd go right back to Iraq, pick up a gun and start aiming it at American soldiers. And anyone who pretends they'd feel differently is full of shit.