Welcome to PatsFans.com

Former GOP Congressman charged in terrorism case

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jan 16, 2008.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

oh, this one is gonna sting...

Former lawmaker charged in terrorism case

CNN) -- A former congressman has been charged in connection with his work for an Islamic charity accused of funneling money to an Afghan warlord, prosecutors announced Wednesday.

[​IMG]

The money laundering, conspiracy and obstruction of justice charges against former Michigan Rep. Mark Deli Siljander are part of a 42-count indictment released by the U.S. attorney's office in Kansas City, Missouri.

Siljander "vehemently denies the allegations in the indictment and will enter a not guilty plea," said his attorney, James Hobbs.

Prosecutors allege Siljander's co-defendants -- the directors of an Islamic charity -- hired him to get the organization off a list of agencies suspected of links to terrorism and paid him with stolen U.S. government funds.

Lawmakers who heard the news of his indictment were "shocked," said Rep. Ray LaHood, R-Illinois.

"He traveled the world, almost as a missionary. He was a man of deep faith," said LaHood, who reported seeing Siljander at a congressional prayer breakfast in December.

He called the news "very sad."

Michigan Democrat Dale Kildee said he knew Siljander "very well as a Michigan colleague," calling him "very conservative" and a "devout Christian." Kildee, a former seminarian, said he often talked to Siljander about politics and theology.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The lesson, as always... never trust an Islamic charity. No no, I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I hope they throw the book at this guy if he is guilty, along with the guys running the bunk charity. Just awful, awful stuff.
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

What a surprise. A corrupt Republican politician.
  4. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

At this point Patters I feel like saying "No, really, I swear, they're not ALL either corrupt or perverts, really..."
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +492 / 2 / -9

Liberal Far Lefty's Have a Love Affair With Islam So they Should Love This Guy
  6. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

William Jefferson, as everyone on this board has posted should be jailed. I don't think any Dem/Rep/Lib. on this board would say otherwise. The guy's a crook and tho he is still serving in Congress, its kind of old news. Since he was 'busted', we've had a multitude of gay Republican outings (caught with pants down), Republican home raided and under investigation for corruption, and ongoing illegal acts by the White House. Not to downsize Jefferson's act, but how many times does he get offered up in rebuttal?
  7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Maybe when the wacko Pelosi regime decides to learn some sense of objective reality, like criminals who are caught red-handed only drag down the company they keep -- in the case of Jefferson, that means the entire U.S. Congress -- maybe then we can start putting Repub feet in the same fire. What this gutless kid gloves treatment of Jefferson does is make a mockery of any sense of justice in the Congress; and it even permeates the entire legislative atmosphere. All across the country people young and old can say: "Well, you let a Congressman walk when he was taking illegal bribes, graft, and other payoffs, so why should I have to get penalized." Kind of how do you tell people lying to grand juries is bad when half the country wants to give Bill Clinton a pass for doing just that??? "Only" a b-job or not, lying to a grand jury is lying to a grand jury, and there are stipulated consequences for doing that.

Letting dirt bags walk has far-reaching implications. We would be wise to not let that happen.

//
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +492 / 2 / -9

We all know why Jefferson gets a pass but it would be "career suicide" for anybody in politics or any other type of public life to say so.
    It's Called The Old Democrat Double Standard

Example:
    Democrat says "Shuck & Jive" reaction, "tee hee, poo, poo"

Imus says "nappy head ho" reaction, "KILL HIM, DEPORT HIM, KILL HIS HORSE"

:bricks:
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Fog, the Jefferson case was discussed at length in this forum, and no one here defended him. But, the issue is a bit interesting. Let's remember, it with Speaker Hastert who said the FBI had no right to invade Jefferson's office. It was an issue of the separation of powers. While that issue is certainly complex (do we want the Administration, regardless of Party, to be able to use its agencies to intimidate Congress?), it seems pretty apparent that Jefferson is guilty. Now, can you provide some other examples of corrupt Democrats from recent years?
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Putting On My Moderator's Hat

I deleted numerous posts that focused on personal attacks and did not contribute to the discussion. If you feel those posts should be restored, ask FTW.
  11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Re: Putting On My Moderator's Hat

Interesting that this guy is from Mich which has a sizable Muslim community. IF guilty he should be thrown in jail for a long time.
  12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

While you may not have defended him the dem party & congressional 'leadership' took no action against him and left him in a position of power with respect to committee positions and chairmanships IIRC. The double standard that libs use has been noted.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

The Dems removed him from the House Ways and Means Committee and even after he was re-elected have still kept him off it. Though he won re-election, the Dem Party actively supported someone else. So, what exactly are you talking about? What double standard are you referring to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_J._Jefferson

And let's remember, like it or not, he is innocent until proven guilty. While I doubt his claim is true, it's not impossible:

"On June 8, 2007, Jefferson pled not guilty to the indictment. After the hearing, Jefferson said, 'I am absolutely innocent of the charges that have been leveled against me. I'm going to fight my heart out to clear my name.' He further explained, 'The $90,000 was the FBI's money. The FBI gave it to me as part of its plan — part of their plan — that I would give it to the Nigerian vice president, but I did not do that. When all the facts are understood, I trust that I will be vindicated.'"
  14. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

In reading what is said by OP in post #1, it sounds eerily similar to what you quote Jefferson saying above.

Maybe they *both* need their days in court before anybody here starts breathing too hard and gets all excited ???

//
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

They certainly both deserve their day in court, but based on what we know, it's not unreasonable to believe they're guilty. Hopefully, they are both innocent.
  16. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, unless that Nifong guy or his clone is handling the prosecution, I doubt that either of the charges is baseless; must be something going on. I'm interested to find out exactly what. Jefferson's claim is so far-out, "the FBI gave me that money" (!!!!), that story has GOT to be a good one!! As for Silgander, I'm drawing a blank. I just have no idea what that is all about, other than perhaps a sting over money. Money makes people do very strange things sometimes.

//