PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Fearsome Foursome member died today

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackPMiller

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2778147

RICHMOND, Ind. -- Lamar Lundy, a member of the Fearsome Foursome defensive line for the Los Angeles Rams in the 1960s, died Saturday. He was 71.

He died after a long illness in his hometown, the Community Family Funeral Home told The Associated Press.

Lundy spent his entire 13-year career with the Rams (1957-69). He teamed with Merlin Olsen and Deacon Jones -- both future Pro Football Hall of Famers -- and Roosevelt Grier to form a mighty defensive line. In 1968, the defense featuring the four set an NFL record for the fewest yards allowed during a 14-game season.

"He was a tremendous performer and a better person," Olsen said in Saturday's Palladium-Item newspaper.

Olsen called Lundy, 6-foot-7 and 250 pounds, the anchor of the line.

"He really was the stabilizing force, Mr. Consistency," Olsen said. "He was an incredibly important part of that equation."

Lundy became the first black scholarship football player at Purdue, the school said. He led Richmond High School to unbeaten football seasons in 1952 and 1953 and to the state's Final Four in basketball in 1953.

Funeral arrangements were not yet announced.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press[/b]

I remember he didn't get the pub that Olsen and D Jones got but he was a terrific player. If not in the HOF he should have been.

I remember he didn't get the pub that Olsen and D Jones got but he was a terrific player. If not in the HOF he should have been.

I agree. Olsen and Jones are the only two to be in the Hall. I was shocked to hear that Rosie Greer is not in the Hall of Fame either. I feel all four members deserve to be in the Hall of Fame

My only deviation from Patriot love was in the 60's with the Rams. I used to love the Fearsome Foursome and the Rams back then. I had a cheap blue football helmet that I used to wear in our local football games that I painted the white ram's horns on.

Heck...it was all I could do to paint ram's horns....I definitely couldn't paint Pat Patriot...

RIP and thanks for the memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye