Welcome to PatsFans.com

Former Cowboys RB Felix Jones visiting the Pats

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Rob0729, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,539 / 14 / -5

From Ian Rappaport:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/332263109815320576

He could be a good Woodhead replacement. Probably a significant upgrade. Not durable enough to be a lead back, but has some very good skills to be a third down/change of pace back. He is quick and can catch the ball.

2. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +578 / 13 / -5

#51 Jersey

There's nothing to be gained by adding an often injured should have been player to the Patriots roster. People complain about certain players being made of glass, well, Jones would be one of those additions.

3. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,995 / 18 / -25

Rob's point stands , though,Aus...he could be useful in a limited role. The "Boys rode him hard and put him back in the paddock wet too many times.

4. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +999 / 10 / -7

#24 Jersey

I don't know if I'm quite as impressed and excited as you seem to be, but if Belichick feels that it's a good move then I'm all for competition.

I don't really see Felix Jones as a "significant upgrade" over Danny Woodhead. I actually see him more as a battle for a roster spot player....or even camp fodder.

I can't say that this makes much sense to me though, unless it's just nothing more than a quick looksee, or there is something else (more bad news) that we aren't yet aware of.

I'd have to say that it probably won't amount to anything, and if it does it will be a very low paying deal to add some competition to the backs. We already have plenty of starting caliber RBs with Ridley, Vereen, Washington, Bolden, and Blount.

If Jones is signed, then I'd have to think that it's a pretty good indicator that Belichick may be looking towards keeping 5 RBs on the roster, which I actually already believe due to giving up a draft pick to acquire Blount, when he could have simply chosen to cut Demps...

5. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +1,539 / 14 / -5

Jones isn't as injury proned as people make him out to be. He did miss 10 games his rookie year, but only 6 games the last three years with two seasons where he played all 16 games. Not exactly a guy who is always on the field, but not as injury proned as a lot of RBs including RBs who spent multiple years on the Pats' squad like Sammy Morris or Fred Taylor.

Jones would be at best the #2 RB, probably #3 behind Ridley and Vereen. He would get 10-20 snaps a game like Woodhead would get most weeks. I don't think his injury history is that much of an issue.

6. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +1,539 / 14 / -5

I think Jones would have the inside edge over either Bolden or Blount. Blount hasn't done anything since his rookie season and is on an one strike and he is out type of arrangement. His only chance to make the roster is if he can prove he still has something like his rookie season. Bolden had one good game and disappeared and is one strike away from a full season suspension.

I think Jones is far better than what you make him out to be. The guy can be a fairly dynamic player. His problem is Jerry Jones was so in love with him since he is a fellow Razorback that he had them overuse him early in his career.

7. supafly

Ratings:
    +999 / 10 / -7

#24 Jersey

I'd have to think that what you're saying about being the RB3 could make sense, after Ridley and Vereen.

That would almost definitely make one of Bolden/Blount expendable, which may have likely been the case anyway. As much as most posters won't agree, I think that competition will be closer that some realize. Belichick obviously had a plan in mind for choosing to give up a draft pick to bring him here.

Of course all of this would make Leon Washington moot as receiving any looks whatsoever as a 3rd down back...unless they suddenly like Cribbs again and are considering going that route and outright cutting Washington (which would be surprising).

8. supafly

Ratings:
    +999 / 10 / -7

#24 Jersey

We are definitely in agreement there. I tend to think that Bolden is extremely overrated by many here, and the selection of him to the 53 man roster last season may have been nothing more than a need for a bigger/bruiser RB.

If Jones is able to show something during his workout, then I'm all for adding more competition.

9. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +1,539 / 14 / -5

Washington has been fairly moot as a RB for a while now. I never thought he would be much in the rotation at RB unless someone was injured.

The Pats are not looking for a huge role for Jones if they sign him. But then again, neither has Woodhead the last few years. Woodhead had a few games where he was a bigger part of the offense, but most he was not that significant.

10. supafly

Ratings:
    +999 / 10 / -7

#24 Jersey

I do think that there is a very good chance that 5 RB's are kept. We got lucky in the injury dept there last season, but it's not likely that we'd be that lucky again 2 yrs in a row. I think that each RB (besides maybe Washington) would have a significant enough role to warrant keeping them.

Ridley--lead back/bellcow

Vereen--suspected 3rd down, change of pace back

Bolden/Blount--bigger, bruising goal line type/shorter yardage back (only need for one)

Washington--likely won't see many snaps in the offense unless of injury, mainly a ST-only player

Devlin--camp fodder, no need for a fulltime FB. This experiment has failed in the JMcD offense

F.Jones--could battle Vereen as the main 3rd down/change of pace back, especially if the coaching staff still has questions about Vereen's blitz pickup and/or whether or not he has fully picked up the offense and its nuances yet

There are 7 right there, plus I believe there is another one who has been added recently who I cannot remember the name of

11. robertweathers

robertweathers Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +49 / 1 / -0

If Jones sticks for TC, it'll be..

Jones vs Washington

Bolden vs Blount

12. supafly

Ratings:
    +999 / 10 / -7

#24 Jersey

According to masslive.com, Jones has already worked out here today (WED), and is scheduled to return to team facilities again tomorrow.

This would likely mean that Leon Washington isn't as much of a lock to make the roster as we may have thought, although Jones' most productive season came in 2010 when he ran for 800 yds on 185 carries.

Either way, it's good to see competition at every single aspect of each position, as is always the case.

13. willard

willard On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

yawn, guess it makes sense if the signing is near the vet minimum with not much of a bonus. Not someone I feel too excited about.

14. robertweathers

robertweathers Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +49 / 1 / -0

I agree. Watching 'Boys games from afar, I like Felix Jones. Hes had some very good years for a reserve player. Seems like he fumbles more than the average player but haven't dug into it.

I like Washington but he'll be 31 at the end of camp. Unless you have the last name of Faulk, not many CoP RBs over 30 do a heck of a lot...

15. lurker1965

lurker1965 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +111 / 6 / -7

No Jersey Selected

My usual reply. It is the offseason. If there is a question between him and the nineteenth CB he might be worth a look. Sign him to the minimum guaranteed and if coaches want him... Otherwise what does cutitng him before the season cost you?

Heck, I trust the coaches to decide. That is not BB praise. If it was Tomlin or somebody I'd want him to earn his pay.
    Edit: earn his pay is different than "ear his pay." I know money talks, but...

16. stcjones

stcjones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +40 / 13 / -16

#12 Jersey

Shane vereen has not exactly been "Superman" out there either....He has been injured alot during his time here.....shown flashes of brilliance but in no means is his position "automatic" or safe here.....He better come in to camp ready to fight to win his spot. Blount has shown amazing flashes of great talent.....He is relatively durable....just has to keep his "nose clean" (I mean that figuratively) and be a team player. You would think from all these RB moves that Bolden is not 100%....or could it be ridley or vereen? I don't know but someone is banged up. Felix Jones is another one of those "Flashes of Brilliance RB's".....but he has been injured alot. More camp fodder I would gather.....the last two (or three) men standing win......

17. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +578 / 13 / -5

#51 Jersey

Missing games isn't the same as being injured during a game Rob. I made the mistake of picking up Jones in Fantasy for a few consecutive years given the Cowboys RB situation and time and time again, Jones would come out of games with some ailment. I really don't see what he's going to add to the Patriots mix at RB outside of being camp fodder and a potential coaching resource for the other Patriots backs.

18. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +875 / 12 / -2

#12 Jersey

Agreed, camp fodder all the way.

19. JMC00

JMC00 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +920 / 18 / -16

Well let's be a little fair his first year he was buried on the depth chart behind BJGE, Woodhead and Ridley. Last year he played in every game but 3.

20. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,080 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Belichick messing with everyone's 53's ... :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.