PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Carroll/Belichick/Gibbs assistant coach takes over New Mexico State

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
He coached one year (2000) under BB before following Pete Carroll to USC. I don't know how tight he is with BB, but we draftniks may want to monitor his program.

WAC football: League's two new coaches face big challenges | rgj.com | Reno Gazette-Journal
WAC football: League's two new coaches face big challenges

There's no need to remind Gary Andersen of the struggles the Utah State football team has had in recent years.

Same for DeWayne Walker at New Mexico State.

The two first-year coaches take over programs that have been known more for padding the win totals of their Western Athletic Conference foes.

Turning around a program that is used to losing is tough, and they know that. They're not in an impossible situation, though, and that fuels them.

-----

Walker, the former UCLA defensive coordinator, takes over a program that has an 11-38 record since joining the WAC in 2005.

"Any year is a challenge for me," said Walker, who was a cornerback at the University of Minnesota and has coached under such coaching heavyweights as Pete Carroll at USC, Joe Gibbs with the Washington Redskins and Bill Belichick with the New England Patriots. "When I was a secondary coach I wanted to have the best secondary. When I was a defensive coordinator I wanted to have the best defense. Obviously it's my first year, my first head (coaching) job. But I've been around some very good coaches -- Pete Carroll, Joe Gibbs, Bill Belichick. Having good mentors is really going to benefit me."

-----

"Those are two quality coaches. ... Two good coaches just joined our conference."
Dewayne Walker's bio:

Player Bio: DeWayne Walker - Football - UCLA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye