PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Browns pass rusher Quentin Groves visited with Pats June 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!!! NICE bandwagon, man...really...and there's so much room on it....
I know he was a flop here Joker, but I'm hoping the (former) Duck just had an injured wing and is ready to fly again.

He's a hard guy to root against.

He's a hard guy to root against.

Not on this forum, obviously. I think the reason people are so venomous towards him is the fake punt. He took responsibility, but what else could he do. Mesko said he had the green light to do it if he saw a mismatch (we had 8 blockers to six) but, of course he mishandled it.

Of course BB isn't averse to gambling and he obviously couldn't go out on the field and give him permission. Of course BB wouldn't tell reporters anything except it was a bad mistake, so no one will know if he meant the call, or mishandling it.

I'm all for ditching people that are unthinking boneheads, but i don't think that's the case with him. He blew a daring play in a big game, that might, or might not have been a good gamble they talked about situationally, we'll never know. He's also not good in coverage, but we've had a lot of safeties that weren't either.

I thought he was pretty dynamic his second year with a lot of production starting and on special teams. When he hurt his shoulder, he wasn't much use because hitting was his strength.

Like I say, bring on anyone that can help. I think he could be a bargain as a role player, but who knows?

I think the key piece of information here is that he was a special teams captain while in Cleveland. One would assume that regardless of his spotty career as an OLB, he has some skills as a STer.

BTW- MOST NFL players are JAG's. They are a huge need for every organization. One of the reasons for the Pats long term success has been their skill of maximizing the abilities of their JAG's. Its part of their ability to make the sum greater than individual parts. Not everyone in this league can be a "freakish athlete"

Not on this forum, obviously. I think the reason people are so venomous towards him is the fake punt. He took responsibility, but what else could he do. Mesko said he had the green light to do it if he saw a mismatch (we had 8 blockers to six) but, of course he mishandled it.

Of course BB isn't averse to gambling and he obviously couldn't go out on the field and give him permission. Of course BB wouldn't tell reporters anything except it was a bad mistake, so no one will know if he meant the call, or mishandling it.

I'm all for ditching people that are unthinking boneheads, but i don't think that's the case with him. He blew a daring play in a big game, that might, or might not have been a good gamble they talked about situationally, we'll never know. He's also not good in coverage, but we've had a lot of safeties that weren't either.

I thought he was pretty dynamic his second year with a lot of production starting and on special teams. When he hurt his shoulder, he wasn't much use because hitting was his strength.

Like I say, bring on anyone that can help. I think he could be a bargain as a role player, but who knows?

I would expect it to be the fact that he probably couldn't cover my grandmother, RayClay, as opposed to the fake punt situation.

His coverage problems have been what most of us have an issue with, so hopefully that has improved. Apparently, the PHI Eagles didn't seem to think so.

I think we need to see an additional safety signed, and that's likely why Belichick has (reportedly) reached out to former Bronco Mike Adams. Our own former Steve Gregory would also be an excellent choice as well, as mgteich points out.

Even still, I would expect our 3rd safety to be no more worse than last year, when it was a rookie with zero experience who only ended up seeing 36% of the snaps.

Not saying he could cover, but looking at the 2010 roster, there's not much else there either. I think he could fill a role on this team. No lack of cover people.

Not saying he could cover, but looking at the 2010 roster, there's not much else there either. I think he could fill a role on this team. No lack of cover people.

I definitely can see the reasons why he'd be considered as offering a role on this team. In the end, it may come down to Chung vs Wilson vs Ebner vs Thomas as our ST safety for depth purposes. Or, it may come down to 2/4 making it just as well.

That said, I can also imagine Chung being camp fodder, as someone who brings competition and knows our system, who can offer something in the summer and not in the fall.

Groves may be a JAG but roster composition is about improving the 53. If the salary component is Patriots friendly, Groves is an upgrade toward the bottom of the roster and at his position.

It's not like he is going to start on this team like some are acting..depth depth depth!

It matters WHO you are when you blow a play like that.
Remember when Parcells called a fake punt with a pass to (gasp!) Tedy Bruschi who dropped the easy catch for a 1st down big gain and then the floodgates opened necessitating an emergency call to the National Guard, never answered because the caller was someone with marbles in his mouth?

No. The reason people are "venomous" toward him on this forum is because he sucked hard as a safety here. Horrible angles, less than stellar tackling, and bad in coverage. The forum (and this includes the homers as well) all but rejoiced when he left. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he was a camp casualty this time around.

No. The reason people are "venomous" toward him on this forum is because he sucked hard as a safety here. Horrible angles, less than stellar tackling, and bad in coverage. The forum (and this includes the homers as well) all but rejoiced when he left. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he was a camp casualty this time around.

Well, I don't have any tape of his angles, but I do remember Tebucky Jones literally blowing up his own team mates regularly. We had Rodney and Milloy. I don't recall any of them being stellar in coverage and Milloy's last year here was considerably less productive on paper than Chung's 2010. Milloy went on to play 8 more years, while 2010 was only chung's second year and first year starting. he was also very dynamic in special teams, then he blew out his shoulder which made him useless for a while, as it would the aforementioned, since all of them were also hitters first.

Don't really recall any other great safeties in the BB era, we had much better ones in the eighties IMO.

Well, I don't have any tape of his angles, but I do remember Tebucky Jones literally blowing up his own team mates regularly. We had Rodney and Milloy. I don't recall any of them being stellar in coverage and Milloy's last year here was considerably less productive on paper than Chung's 2010. Milloy went on to play 8 more years, while 2010 was only chung's second year and first year starting. he was also very dynamic in special teams, then he blew out his shoulder which made him useless for a while, as it would the aforementioned, since all of them were also hitters first.

Don't really recall any other great safeties in the BB era, we had much better ones in the eighties IMO.

You're right that those old Pats teams did have some very good safeties.
I was in SD for the 2002 Patriots loss where Lady T ran wild, Brady threw 2 really stupid looking picks. In that game Milloy is angling towards LDT who is well past 1st down and TBKY takes the wrong angle and mows down Milloy.

That was a fun game where I was chased out of the stadium by angry (but slow) SD fans w/o a sense of humor about their team.

The other notable thing about Brady's stinker was that I was harassed by the traveling Patriots contingent because I was a "Brady's Lady" big supporter while mainstream "Bledsoe Krishna" Pats fans were still butthurt over The Statue's trade to Buffalo and his 1st half of the season great start there. It took 2003 for many Pats fans to accept 2001 as not a fluke.

You're right that those old Pats teams did have some very good safeties.
I was in SD for the 2002 Patriots loss where Lady T ran wild, Brady threw 2 really stupid looking picks. In that game Milloy is angling towards LDT who is well past 1st down and TBKY takes the wrong angle and mows down Milloy.

That was a fun game where I was chased out of the stadium by angry (but slow) SD fans w/o a sense of humor about their team.

The other notable thing about Brady's stinker was that I was harassed by the traveling Patriots contingent because I was a "Brady's Lady" big supporter while mainstream "Bledsoe Krishna" Pats fans were still butthurt over The Statue's trade to Buffalo and his 1st half of the season great start there. It took 2003 for many Pats fans to accept 2001 as not a fluke.

Good times! I emphasize that i'm a casual (if longtime) fan and no football expert, but...I look at the keystone cops safety play after Chung was hurt or gone and the safety play in recent memory and he didn't look that bad compared to inndiogbedo (whatever) Slater (arrrrggghhh horror) and pretty much every "hitting" safety but the two stars (please, Lord, I didn't say strong safety) in the BB era.

The way I look at it, the least ugly girl looks pretty good when you live in Uglytown. Chung knows the drill here and he's cheap and he plays special teams well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes