PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former BC OL James Marten released by Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Former BC OL James Marten, 6'7" 310 lbs, was released today by the Cowboys to make room for WR Mike Jefferson. The Cowboys are hurting at WR and Jefferson will be #4 tomorrow. They thought enough of Marten to keep him as an 11th OL prior to this move. Marten, 3rd RD pick in 2007, is an aggressive and athletic player for his size. He is also versatile, playing LG for two yrs @ BC before moving to LT as a senior. The knock on him coming out was that he needed to add weight and strength, he was 300 at the combine, but he's bulked up to 310-315 in his first 1.5 yrs in the NFL. He has good footwork in pass pro and is a good straight ahead run blocker. I know with the game tomorrow most people are thinking about that but this kid would be a quality pick up and good fit in my mind if the Pats could somehow land him.

Former BC OL James Marten, 6'7" 310 lbs, was released today by the Cowboys to make room for WR Mike Jefferson. The Cowboys are hurting at WR and Jefferson will be #4 tomorrow. They thought enough of Marten to keep him as an 11th OL prior to this move. Marten, 3rd RD pick in 2007, is an aggressive and athletic player for his size. He is also versatile, playing LG for two yrs @ BC before moving to LT as a senior. The knock on him coming out was that he needed to add weight and strength, he was 300 at the combine, but he's bulked up to 310-315 in his first 1.5 yrs in the NFL. He has good footwork in pass pro and is a good straight ahead run blocker. I know with the game tomorrow most people are thinking about that but this kid would be a quality pick up and good fit in my mind if the Pats could somehow land him.

Would be an upgrade over LeVoir but I am not an expert or a scout. I would have never thought the Pats would have claimed LeVoir in the first place.

Marten is automatically > LeVoir & Bender.

What the FO should do after this weekend is: re-sign Flynn, sign Marten - or resign Welbourn, and drop Connolly & LeVoir. I'd also like to see Hoch &/or Yates dropped in favor of Evan Mathis, Brandon Frye or Anthony Alabi, but for some Izzo-esque reason, that ain't happnin'.

Marten is automatically > LeVoir & Bender.

What the FO should do after this weekend is: re-sign Flynn, sign Marten - or resign Welbourn, and drop Connolly & LeVoir. I'd also like to see Hoch &/or Yates dropped in favor of Evan Mathis, Brandon Frye or Anthony Alabi, but for some Izzo-esque reason, that ain't happnin'.

If Yates plays lousy for Brady, his head might roll.

This guy is not bad. He looked really good against the Colts pass rushers when we played them in preseason last year.

Sounds like an upgrade over LeVoir, if the Pats are interested in him and can afford it.

I am a big fan of Marten and thought that BB/Pioli would make an offer of C Jackson for Marten. The Cowboys are making a late move to try and get Narten through waivers this close to game day. I say go for it and get Marten for LeVoir and forget about re-signing Flynn.

I agree exc. for not resigning Flynn. He can be re-signed at the expense of Connolly or - better still - Yates, while Marten replaces LeVoir.

I agree exc. for not resigning Flynn. He can be re-signed at the expense of Connolly or - better still - Yates, while Marten replaces LeVoir.

Yates is not going anywhere and the Pats have high hopes for Connolly.

Yeah, by the sounds of it, could be a very nice upgrade.
Just what they need.
And with LeVoir, Spach, Jones, they have plenty of roster spots they could use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye