PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Ball Boy: "Most often they just squeezed the balls"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSPF

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/su...-boys-perspective-preparing-footballs-n290801

According to former Chicago Bears ball boy, referees most often just gave the ball the "squeeze test" and didn't use the pressure gauges. He also says "The balls were out on the field, and it would have been very difficult for me to secretly deflate balls while thousands of fans and media members moved about the stadium. It would also have been very difficult to sneak 12 balls back into the locker room without raising suspicion."

It's looking more and more like the only scandal here is BSPN and co's outrageously bad reporting, and the ineptitude of the NFL's PR department. The balls were brought to the refs and approved at minimum or slightly below minimum requirements, and they lost a little more pressure in the elements. End of story.

The real story is the shocking mob mentality of sports "journalists" and of average people who love to stomp on something that has been too good for too long. I am not joking when I say I have never seen anything like it and I truly understand now that we are not as smart (the human race) as we think we are. Not by a long shot.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-t...game-footballs does a good job of summarizing Brady's stated position, which may be summarized yet further as:
  • He's picky about the "feel" of the balls -- stickiness, etc.
  • He doesn't notice pressure differences, although the softer the better.
  • He's asked around and the equipment guys say they don't do anything sneaky about the pressure ...
  • ... from which it can be inferred that he denies encouraging anything sneaky about the pressure himself.

So the refs don't spend an hour testing 50 balls to the gnats ass precision only to have that measurement be completely different 10 minutes later? Why wouldn't they spend all their time trying to enforce some silly nitnoid ******** that doesn't matter to competition? Weird.

The real story is the shocking mob mentality of sports "journalists" and of average people who love to stomp on something that has been too good for too long. I am not joking when I say I have never seen anything like it and I truly understand now that we are not as smart (the human race) as we think we are. Not by a long shot.
Its a good litmus test to know who the butt hurt haters are.

Im convinced the NFL knows the refs didnt meticulously measure every ball and is trying to figure a way out of this mess. Meanwhile the Pats twist in the wind while this incompetent boob Goodell creates another fiasco

If I were running FESPN, I'd summon ol' Mort in tomorrow morning, sit him down, and tell him that within the next 2 minutes I want either his source for the story, or his resignation on my desk.

If he gives up the source, he'd also be prohibited from using anything on-air that hadn't been approved in advance by me or someone I delegated.

But that's just me. I'd prefer to run the show with integrity, and NOT be a broadcast version of a birdcage liner.

I have little doubt the refs didn't measure the Patriots balls. It was cold the week before and may have lost pressure if they practiced with them and weren't pumped.

I have never seen this much nonsense written by reporters and fans about nothing. Espn should be ashamed of themselves and all the Boston writers who jumped on there bandwagon with no evidence whatsoever can go jump off the Charles. As far as I'm concerned a defamation lawsuit should be filed but we all know Kraft don't have the balls. The Patriot brand took a big hit over this and it didn't have to.

The NFL had trouble finding evidence because there was none. Believe me, I imagine they separated and questioned the ball boys and the equipment managers and came to the conclusion there was nothing going on.

That one article on espn really pissed me off with Brady's face on the cover. Do you really think Brady would lie about the balls and leave it up to the ball boys and equipment managers not to break under the pressure of questioning? Lying wasn't a option for Tom Brady at his presser. It was either come clean if you did or tell the truth if you didn't. Now if a ball boy or manager comes out and says yeah Brady told me to take the pressure out I'd be glad to see him suspended and probably turn in my gear for awhile for lying to basically the entire country. I just don't see that happening though.

If the Colts informed the NFL before the game> setup, sting.... then you can be sure the balls were measured with gauge before game. If informed in game well then anything is possible.

Im convinced the NFL knows the refs didnt meticulously measure every ball and is trying to figure a way out of this mess. Meanwhile the Pats twist in the wind while this incompetent boob Goodell creates another fiasco

Yep. That's the way I've got it figured. The NFL lets the Pats be trashed by leaks from a "league source", Brady be asked how it feels to be a cheater on all the network news shows, and the goddamn (excuse my french) NFL officials didn't even check the inflation of the balls with a gauge and make any adjustments as they are supposed to do 2 hours before game time. Gave 'em a little squeeze, like a honeydew melon in Market Basket, and said, okey dokey.

Unhinged fans screeching about 'habitual cheaters' without any evidence to support that (stupid as it is) is one thing. The national media assuming Patriot guilt and working the narrative backwards from there is completely shameful. This entire **** show is a witch hunt.

Unhinged fans screeching about 'habitual cheaters' without any evidence to support that (stupid as it is) is one thing. The national media assuming Patriot guilt and working the narrative backwards from there is completely shameful. This entire **** show is a witch hunt.

A which hunt entirely provoked by unnamed "league sources".

Sorry. I can't bring myself to watch Stephen A. and Skip Bayless. They, and others like them, are the problem.
Bro, no need to apologize. They can be difficult to listen sometimes, and I do agree with the assertion that most ESPN analysts have been unfair and biased against the Patriots in this hyperbole driven by the media. I just thought Stephen A. defending Belichick was a breath of fresh air from ESPN.

I swore off ESPN a long time ago. I just can't stand it. I'm pretty much limited to Sirius NFL radio for my fix of dissect and analyze.

I'm sure this must have been mentioned already in other threads but this whole saga has really cemented the idea in my mind that there is no reason to speak with the majority of non Patriot fans about the team because they have their minds made up already even before any of this ever happened. It's not a conversation anymore because whatever one says is entirely discounted even before one says anything.

Add to this the fact that the favorite thing for media to do (because it attracts readers of course) is to build someone or some team up so high which they did beginning with the first Superbowl win all the way to 2006 until that of course created resentment. As soon as that happened, part two of the whole equation began in earnest which of course was tearing down what they first built up in the first place.

Pats fans, the sooner you understand that no other fan will ever believe what you say about the team under this current winning regime, the sooner you will feel better. Pay no mind to whatever anyone else says either good or bad because they don't care about what you have to say anyway. Just care about the wonderful ride the Pats have been treating us to these last few years. That is reward enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back