Welcome to PatsFans.com

Forget the Etch-a-Sketch....What About This?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +772 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Originally Posted by nabwong
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-guys-gals-like-art-youll-love-rembrandt.html

I think this is an excellent question.

I hadn't heard this particular speech of Romney's so when I read this in the Art thread I went and looked it up. Sure enough, Romeny's touting The Hoover Dam and The Interstate Highway System as evidence of our former greatness and comparing them to the Keystone Pipeline and evidence that the government stands in the way of The American Dream of individual success.

He even goes so far as to say:

conveniently forgetting the fact that his two examples of American greatness were not the product of a free market and free people
    but were, rather, created by the government and financed with govenment funding.

Is he that ignorant of history or is he banking that the people he's addressing are that ignorant of it?

Mitt Romney goes on attack (Speech transcript, video) - Election 2012 - The Washington Post

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I hate to say it but the Hoover Dam project could never happen today. Why? There were 112 deaths associated with the construction of the dam and that may be a low figure. OSHA would have shut that project down after the third or fourth one if it happened now. Back then, people were glad to have a job. For the record, the project was approved in 1928 under Hoover ( ?Coolidge) before the stock market crash.
    The Boulder City/Hoover Dam Museum offers three-dimensional, interactive displays and exhibits, photographs, artifacts, and oral histories of the men and women who built Hoover Dam.

Isn't the Keystone pipeline a private project? I thought they needed PResidential aproval because it crossed international borders..

3. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +421 / 8 / -4

OT: Maybe those deaths wouldn't have happened today...

4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +772 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

The Hoover Dam took 5 years to complete. During the same rough time period 1546 people working in coal mines died. By 2001-2005 only 62 people died. I'd presume that safety rules and better equipment and standards would be in place for both of them. If OSHA is ok with 62 coal mining deaths they'd probably be ok with a similar figure in dam building.

MSHA Fact Sheets - Injury Trends in Mining

It is, yes. That's the point. Any comparision is just stupid.

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 26 / -33

6. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Darryl, thanks for the chuckle. Appreciated that.

D

7. Patradomous

Patradomous In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +341 / 60 / -86

#87 Jersey

I think its called infrastructure.One of the two things the goverment is supposed to provide. Protection (military) and infrastructure.

Fill us in those shovel ready jobs Obama promised with the trillion dollars stimulus.
    The only shovel ready jobs were the political hacks and unions and favored pie in the sky project cronys shoveling tax payer money into their pockets.

8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's actually pretty much the reaction I've had. Such a project this day could probably never get done. 112 deaths? The lawyers would have a field day with that.