Welcome to PatsFans.com

Forget Tag, CHRISTmas, & Fluff. Now it's cupcakes!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Isn't it refreshing to see how our schools have their priorities in order? The more I pass through life, the more sense this commercial makes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h3G-lMZxjo

[​IMG]

From Newsday

Schools ban birthday cupcakes, other treats

BY JOHN HILDEBRAND AND JENNIFER SINCO KELLEHER

September 16, 2007

Advisory to parents: Forget the frosting.

As part of a national drive against childhood obesity, a growing number of Long Island schools are abolishing that traditional staple of grade-school parties, the birthday cupcake.

The new bans get a mixed reaction from parents, many nostalgic for the chocolate frostings and sprinkles of yesteryear. In addition to curbing birthday treats, the new food restrictions also are affecting such school traditions as bake sales and teachers' distribution of candy as classroom rewards.

"We all grew up having cupcakes for birthdays, and it's a shame it came down to this," said Nancy Shivers, a PTA representative in the Huntington district, which has ruled out birthday foods this year in favor of games and other alternative ways to celebrate. "On the other side, if we're going to be responsible [about nutrition], we really need to start in the schools."

The cupcake debate extends far beyond Huntington.

Across the Island, at least seven other public school districts recently banned foods for birthday parties, according to state and regional organizations that track such developments. The bans are part of broader policies adopted by schools in New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, California and many other states that also promote more exercise and healthier eating in school cafeterias.

http://www.newsday.com/services/new...ealth/ny-licake165377258sep16,0,4989732.story

2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +224 / 6 / -2

#91 Jersey

Don't you realize yet RW that they have to start somewhere in this never ending drive for PC,and wussifacation of America.So you start with cupcakes and work your way up to bigger things.(oh man if I hadn't just gotten up what I could do with this thread) pizza, tacos,FLUFF no tag, no Christmas ,no recess, have to wear uniforms etc. :D

One place I worked first it was my parking space,the it was the "first call"cafeteria privalage than its was raises,on,and on, and on.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 2 / -9

These are the same people that are always bleating about "Freedom" they are also the same people that hand out Condoms to little kids that use them for baloons.

They hand out Condoms then tell the kids "no hugging" :singing:

Dip Sh!ts are running the schools.

4. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Well, I did see one good thing to come out of those restrictions. Effecting school traditions such as bake sales. Nothing chaffed my butt more then PTA, students or whoever putting on a bake sale. Whether its in schools or some other organizational fund raiser. Anyone with a food service background will have a good cringe in watching a layperson prep food in a domestic kitchen. Then, they take this product to sell to the general public. Meanwhile, back in the schools cafeteria the workers have passed yearly exams, managerial regs, and health inspections (which sometimes consumes an 8 hour day) to produce a meal. Its just wrong.

5. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +224 / 6 / -2

#91 Jersey

Did they really ban FLUFF RW?I know you would have had a seizure if they did. mmmmm fluff. :D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  6. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 46 / -7

#75 Jersey

If there are no cupcakes, what are the bulllies supposed to do? If they can't beat up the smaller kids for their cupcakes?

Governemnt run schools are on life support, and someone, someday soon is going to pull the cord.

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

I'm serious when I say this. This is what our future schools will look like. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h3G-lMZxjo

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Cambridge. HAHAHA!

Massachusetts senator wants Fluff banned from school lunches

June 19, 2006

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. --A state senator is taking aim at a childhood food staple: Fluff. Sen. Jarrett Barrios was so outraged his son Nathaniel, a third-grader, was given a peanut butter and Fluff sandwich at the King Open School in Cambridge, he said he plans to file legislation to outlaw the marshmallow spread in school lunch programs.

"A Fluff sandwich as the main course of a nutritious lunch just doesn't fly in 2006," Barrios said. "It seems a little silly to have an amendment on Fluff, but it's called for by the silliness of schools offering this as a healthy alternative in the first place."

Barrios said he will offer an amendment to a junk-food bill that would severely limit the serving in schools of marshmallow spreads such as Marshmallow Fluff, concocted by a Massachusetts man before World War I and which still is made by a family owned business in Lynn.

Marshmallow Fluff and peanut butter sandwiches -- known as Fluffernutters -- have long been a favorite of New England kids.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...nator_wants_fluff_banned_from_school_lunches/

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

We need a voucher program. Had Bush taken some initiative, he'd have taken advantage of controlling all 3 factions of government and pushed a tax voucher program for private schooling. Now, it'll probably never happen. Meanwhile, our poor kids get sent to indoctrination camp where they get drugged, can't play tag, and have their cupcakes confiscated at the door.