Welcome to PatsFans.com

Forget Grandma - Let the Young 'Uns Die

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Aren't these the same people who were so aghast that Obamacare wanted to kill your grandmother?

A bit of a startling moment happened near the end of Monday night's CNN debate when a hypothetical question was posed to Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas).

What do you tell a guy who is sick, goes into a coma and doesn't have health insurance? Who pays for his coverage? "Are you saying society should just let him die?" Wolf Blitzer asked.

"Yeah!" several members of the crowd yelled out.

Paul interjected to offer an explanation for how this was, more-or-less, the root choice of a free society. He added that communities and non-government institutions can fill the void that the public sector is currently playing.

The answer may have struck a truly libertarian tone but it was clearly overshadowed by the members of the crowd who enthusiastically cheered the prospect of letting a man die rather than picking up the tab for his coverage.

Tea Party Debate: Republican Presidential Candidates Face Off In Florida (LIVE UPDATES)

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +841 / 27 / -33

Is this part of the "Death Panel" debate that Sarah warned us about???

3. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

I wonder if those folks also (claim to) believe all life is sacred...

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

I wonder if those people root for the Patriots, or eat Cherios for breakfast. i.e. It's absolutely impossible to know.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

In such a scenario as the hypothetical proposed by Blitzer, my guess would be that the gubmit controlled healthcare policy would be to allow a comatose patient 72 hours of life support (or some predetermined alotment of time, that may depend on the age of the patient), before the plug is pulled for cost effectiveness, and the realocation of resources. All brought to you by the beauracratic suits put in a room to decide such things for you.

6. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +159 / 20 / -17

I agree with the teaparty on taxes and limited goverment.

I do not agree with letting someone die, unless there is no chance he could
    recover.

I also don't agree with the people who applaud a womens right to choose.

I am pro life and I feel abortion should only be allowed in cases of rape, incest, or the health/life of the mother.

I honestly don't see how someone could be pro choice and then question
    allowing a sick person die with dignity.

7. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

I agree. Fortunately, I don't hear many people anymore who view it as simply a matter of a woman's body anymore. Those people are just as extreme as those who pretend they know when life begins and want to force their view on everybody else.

I don't understand how anyone reconciles rape exceptions with a belief that a fertilize egg is a human life.

Incest, maybe, though logically that could also be extended to permitting abortion of any fetus with birth defects.

This is what really caught my eye.

I don't really understand the comment re letting a sick person die with dignity -- what are you addressing here? Wasn't it the right that inserted the government in the Schiavo case, for example?

Maybe that's not what you're talking about, though, since I also wouldn't know what that has to do with being pro-choice.

8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,112 / 16 / -9

We're talking about a person who will recover with medical attention, in the original example... I guess the statement was about another case, where the person is terminally ill.

I don't know any pro-choice people who are against allowing terminally ill people to die when they choose to, although I suppose you can be in favor of campaigns to prevent suicide among the physically healthy and be pro-choice, on the grounds that the suicidal impulse is a treatable mental issue.

??? I might have misinterpreted too... just guessing at which cases we're talking about

PS, Perry's attempt to pivot to "Pro life" on the gardosil vaccination thing would have played better if he had the courage of his convictions and tried to brazen it out more, but stylistically, he looked and sounded like he didn't even believe it.