Welcome to PatsFans.com

forget-doctor-barbie-introducing-burka-ba

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +237 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I wonder if these come with rocks to stone them with or genitalia mutilation kits?

Forget Doctor Barbie, Introducing Burka Barbie

Toy-maker Mattel is backing the auction of the Burka Barbie to raise funds for a children’s charity, saying that the doll shows girls that they “can be whatever they want to be.”

Attached Files:

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,114 / 3 / -10

Absolutely No Comment

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +772 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

And I wonder if someone can lock this and it's sister thread (what happened there, PatsSB - get so excited that you fired twice in too-rapid sequence) before either of them gets even more offensive than they already are?

4. Roland

Roland On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What happens to the brother who takes the burqa off the Barbie?

Does he get flogged or stoned. Seriously I think it is a good idea that a Barbie is representitive of all woman. Problem is what will the conservative Muslims say. I am sure the prophet Mohammed would have used these dolls to recruit his child girlfriends. Aisa would have loved one.

5. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +237 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Actually I screwed up the Title and tried to correct with the new one and I screwed that one up too. I had sent Patters a message to delete the first one but he hasn't obviously.

I posted it because I think it distasteful to promote a culture that is so discriminatory, exploitive, oppressive and downright violent to woman. For Mattel to presume that kids would look to these Barbie’s as role models and aspire to become one is repugnant to me. I have a daughter. The question I posed was meant to be sarcastic and an indictment to both the culture and the company, Mattel.

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +772 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I see - and you are aware, aren't you, that many millions of women wear a burka or a hijaab by choice, aren't you? And that genital mutilation is the exception rather than the norm in most all Muslim countries?

The only "stoning" I see going on is connected to the sarcastic ones you're throwing around.

Why would you want to indict an entire culture, Pats? What gives you the right?

If it pisses you off that much boycott Mattel, meanwhile, why not keep your sarcasm to yourself where it's appreciated?

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +772 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Here's another danger to society while you're at it.

Only these people widely practice "shunning" instead of occasionally practicing stoning.

Guess that makes them ok, huh?

Attached Files:

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,114 / 3 / -10

In the middle east they treat their donkey's better than they do their women, it has always amazed me at how silent our Feminist, Civil Liberty People and our Human Rights advocates are when it comes to the "Muslim Cruelty" involving their women, but of course they were also silent on the treatment of women by Clinton and The Kennedys, they are a strange bunch those Feminist's.

:confused:

9. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +237 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I guess my questions were a little over the top but I stand by my opinion that the culture is oppressive to woman. Perhaps women in this country would still be content without the right to vote or divorce etc. if it weren’t for some sarcastic know it all’s exposing it? Agreed that change or criticism is better from within a culture but how would you like a” barefoot, pregnant and back to the kitchen” Barbie doll for your daughter? I’m not indicting the woman of the culture but the exploitive and oppressive nature of it even if the woman or okay with it……but you do have a point. I’m reminded of a time in my life (late 1960’s) when my mother was going through a very difficult time and was suffering from depression. She began to see a psychiatrist who after a few weeks concluded that she should get out of the dark ages and become strong woman and challenge the wife roll. Well for a while she followed the advice and she stopped doing the things that she always had done, laundry, cooking etc. No one in the house complained. This went on for a few months until she completely broke down. She was a wreck. She was almost inconsolable and she felt she betrayed her own family. It turns out she was suffering from menopause. I remember being so pissed at the doctor wondering what right he had to force his idea of the proper role my mother should be playing. So now I look at myself and ask, “Am I playing doctor here now.”? If that’s what’s got your ire up then I understand……..but give some credit. Do you really think I’m the only one that appreciates my sarcasm? :confused:

10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +772 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Yes.

:)

But I do appreciate your backing down at least somewhat - and your story about your mom which was touching.

I know it's hard for some people to believe but women aren't ever going to be truly "free" until all women get to do whatever it is they want to do - without interference. And, hard as it may be for some to understand, there are women who are most comfortable in a burka - or a hijaab. There are Orthodox Jewish women who won't leave the house with their hair exposed - or their knees and elbows, either. Amish women and many of their female Mennonite cousins don't leave the house without a prayer cap and an apron on. Would you deny them their right to dress as they see fit? Would you scorn them (or their men) for being "held down" or for holding them down?

You're only held down if you don't want to be there - and someone forcing you to give up something your religion and/or your conscience dictates makes them the ones doing the holding.

Why degrade a whole religion over a few dolls? They're not hurting you - they're not hurting your daughter or your wife or your mother. The fact that you felt free to insinuate that all Muslim women are sexually mutilated is degrading - but only to yourself for having said so.

Check out "Barbies of the World" someday - there is a rainbow worth of dress there - all of it foreign for the most part - and many could be considered degrading, I suppose - but how can a woman feel degraded when she feels, inside herself, beautiful and at peace?

By all means, help the women who want out of their burkas, or the ones who want their feet unbound, or the ones sold into slavery across the borders of Latvia, but don't "help" the ones who are happy and peaceful being the women they want to be - regardless of whether you believe they are or not.

Think of your mom, instead. She wanted to be what she was and she was miserable when some perfect stranger in the guise of a doctor told her she needed to be something else.

Personally, I want to be MrPFnVs little sex slave complete with 6 inch heels and white fluffy apron waiting for him at the door with a very dry 3-olive martini in one hand and his remote and newspaper in the other - is that so wrong????

Unfortunately he makes me work in a doctor's office instead.

Coz I'm liberated.

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 26 / -33

Perhaps there needs to be a confab to define what is meant by race baiting... people get infractions for mentioning a popular web site, but this remains open...

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +772 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

You got an INFRACTION for that???????

(Sorry for the interruption. I now return you to your regularily scheduled burka-bashing)

13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 26 / -33

Our newly appointed over zealous moderator does not like it when the stuff he posts is cross referenced in message boards that are frequented by known racists... guess it is tooo close to home.

But there is nothing wrong with posting the same thing over and over and over again...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.