Welcome to PatsFans.com

Forget Al-Qaeda, Are Rightwing Republicans the Biggest Threat to American Democracy?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Seymour93, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I just got done watching John Dean, a former member of the Conservative Movement, promoting his new book, "Conservatives Without Conscience" on Countdown with Keith Olberman.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f1Idgh5KUw

Dean basically states that research has shown that Republicans tend to have personalities that naturally favour authoritarianism. These Republicans are so set on believing what they want to believe - even if the facts suggest otherwise - that they are willing to sacrifice our freedoms for their agenda. Once the leaders of the authoritarian/conservative movement come out with a policy or label a political foe, the followers, apparently 23% of the entire population fit this type of personality (so never expect to see Bush's popularity sink below 23%), will have their minds set and will not budge unless the leaders tell them too. Simple, but sad.

First we must understand that authoritarianism relies on fear. When people are scared they tend to favour authoritarianism, because it offers a comforting hand. For the simpleton... If you believe whatever I tell you, do as I say, I'll protect you in return. That's authoritarianism.

The leaders of this movement must have a common enemy for their followers. It used to be communists, but now it has changed to terrorists and domestically, liberals. No matter what a liberal says or does, he or she will always be a liberal in the followers eyes therefore making their thoughts or actions invalid. You cannot convince the 23% because you will always be the enemy until the leaders say you're not, basically.

No doubt the usual suspects of this forum will decry Olberman, Dean, MSNBC, and even me for even posting this because we're are liberals and liberals are bad so they cannot be trusted or so says messiah Limbaugh. Pretty wacky stuff, however Dean may just be on to something here. It would certainly explain the lack of criticism towards the Bush administration from rightwing Republicans.

Discuss.
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

It speaks volumes about Dean if he feels that the opposition party is more of a danger than a group of people who have declared war on and attacked this country. I suppose this explains why the dems have politicized the GWOT to try and gain a political advantage.

Thank God the opposition party didn't behave this way during WW2.
  3. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I demand you to stop interfering with facts, dang it all to hell, you are fu--ing up a spin job that looked to be good....STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

Whoops!:D

Coulda sworn H Dean had said the same stuff.

Sounds like J Dean is still a liar.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Don't worry 13, John Dean is just as bad as Whacko Howard, John Dean is a slimey little sniveling "Stool Pigeon", his own wife called him a little Rat.
  6. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Generals, politicians,anyone in the human race that has a different opinion than YOU OR YOUR POLITICAL FACTION is a stool pigeon and a little rat,:cool:RUN IT TO THE GROUND:bricks:
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Here is an interesting factoid for you all, we have now been in Iraq longer that we were in WWII... interesting, but of info to file away in your cesspool of knowledge or to bring up at a ****tail party.
  8. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

ACCORDING TO NEWT GINGRICH we are in WW III so it will be alot longer war, we are fighting an highly advanced military that has a vast and equally devistating technical armaments and delivery systems as the U.S. defense department.
  9. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yet when pressed, Blue Collar's only alternative to the current state of action is to post a YouTube video.

I've yet to hear A SINGLE reasonable idea on an alternative to what we're doing now from the lefties.
  10. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I WILL bump up my idea in the red herring thread for you turd, and you can add your military plan if you so wish, college educated furgurson.
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Wait, either my math is off or yours is.

Iraq War: March 20, 2003 - Present = 1,250 days.

US involvement in WWII: December 19, 1941 (Pearl Harbor) - August 5, 1945 (Japan Surrenders) = 1,335 days.
  12. ctpatsfan1

ctpatsfan1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think 23% sounds about right for the base of both parties who think the opposing party is completely bogus regardless of what the opposing party states.

Which would leave 54% of the voters/populace consisting of people who actually can see good and bad in both parties.
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Well, as fugged up as the GOP is, the Dems have no message or platform to speak of. It's quite amusing to me. In an era when public dissatisfaction with each party has never been higher, niether corrupt/inept/out of touch group can muster anything close to momentum. You would think that if either party had a clue, they'd be owning politics. Instead, the GOP, with control of the trifecta, Presidency, Congress, & Senate, have boon doggled themselves into 30% approval and the most inefficient government of our time. Yet, the sorry ass Dems, as clueless, uninified, and moronic as they've ever been, have managed to gain NOTHING in the meantime. Sad, and very amusing.
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Not to mention that the math fails to add the time our forces spent in war torn area's conducting post war occupation and reconstruction. Remember that major combat operations have been over for quite a while. In Iraq, there is a sovereign government, voted in by the people, in place. How long did we spend in Germany post WW II? How long in Japan? We're still in Korea, still have soldiers stationed in Italy & Germany too. The bottom line is some will distort numbers to fit an arguement, as opposed to making the arguement with legitimate facts.
  15. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Are you really that naive to think that Iraq has a sovereign government?

Iraq, the nation...not Baghdad the city.

Are you really that clueless? Iraq was sovereign before the invasion but hasn't been since.
  16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The Iraq war began on September 12th. Heck it was floating around in Wolfowitz's head since 1991 or so, roughly three seconds after the last Bush admin realized that Saddam wasn't going to fall over on his own.

We invaded Europe in June of 1944, the last American soldier died there in May of 1945.
  17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Re: Forget Al-Qaeda, Are Rightwing Republicans the Biggest Threat to American Democra

The Dems made a pretty strong statement by defeating Lieberman in Connecticut. The Party is slowly getting the message, while the more moderate Republicans are starting speak out more and more strongly against the right-wing of their party. There is definitely a struggle going on, but it does appear that both parties are slowly moving away from the insane policies of the neocons.
  18. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Let's also give credit to Democrat voters for getting Cynthia McKinney out of office.
  19. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Forget Al-Qaeda, Are Rightwing Republicans the Biggest Threat to American Democra

The Dems statement is that they are a rudderless ship drifting aimlessly trying to figure out which way the current wind blows.

Meanwhile, Lieberman will clean Lamont's clock.
  20. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I don't know. Hagel has been awfully critical of Bush, as has William Buckley. Joe Scarborough just called Bush an idiot. Seems to me the Republicans are losing their grip -- but for good reason: more and more people are recognizing what liberals have been saying all along, that Bush is bad for America. The Dems are becoming less rudderless thanks to the liberals. The Dems are starting to show some guts. (Even Lieberman called for Rumsfeld's resignation the other day.)

Perhaps, but it's worth noting that Lieberman's lead is half what it was in previous statewide polls and that Lieberman is busy promoting the fact that he voted 90% with the Democrats. Glad you're rooting for Lieberman -- that's a small step in the right direction for you. Stay away from the Republican.