Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ford introduces 63MPG Focus.. only in Europe...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Aug 11, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

From an obviously left wing site, but available if you choose to look elsewhere, Ford is coming out with a 63 MPG "ecocentric" focus... but it will only be sold in Europe.. not sure of this marketing strategy..

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/07/ford-econetic-fiesta-diesel-63mpg.php

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Skrew the oil companies and the politicians who protect them. My next vehicle will be a hybrid and will keep my secondary vehicle for roadies (SUV). Crunched the numbers and if your buying $400 for gas a month, a Prius will pay for itself.
    Ford must be getting the kinks out, the way the auto industry is losing money you would think they would inventory this country asap.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Of course it will eventually. The payback time can be quite lengthy depending on how many miles you drive and if hybrids still have a significantly higher purchase price (I haven't checked in a couple of years). It also depends on where gas prices go, it's very possible they'll go down for a while.
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

I believe the regulations for particulate emmissions for deisels are much tougher in the US than in Europe you have to use the sys MB & VW to meet emissions req in the US.
  5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

They will continue to decrease until the elections, after that I anticipate a slow, but steady rise.. this has pretty much been the past track record.
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Further info which may negate your argument..

http://www.expressinsurance.co.uk/news/car/ford-announces-ecofriendly-fiesta-$18675002.html

7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +200 / 3 / -10

American companies should be FORCED to sell that car here. You gotta be kidding me. Unless it doesn't meet some basic US safety standards, can anyone think of one good reason it wouldn't be sold here?...well, maybe because they're watching out for the partner in crime, Big Oil.

I am SICK & TIRED of US auto manufacturers dragging their feet on dramatically improving mileage. If you wanna call me a conspiratorist on this one, go ahead because it's the truth.

It's time we the people called on our government to require minimum mileage standards. And if Ford can make a product they'll sell in Europe, then they have to sell it to us. Why don't we just boycott the company into bankruptcy and see what they think then?:D
  8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

CO2 is different than particulate output. CO2 is a gas not a solid, also Dielsel output nitrous oxide IIRC.
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

Actually, Patsfans13 is correct. The portion you quote is an example why. The US & Europe have different emissions restrictions on diesel engines. The US's focus is on limiting air pollution (think smog prevention), to maintain a high level of air quality. In Europe, the restrictions are geared more toward CO2, and MMGW prevention, which is the opposite of the USA.
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Glad you clarified this, as I really do not know my ass from my elbow when it comes to this stuff... but 63 MPG is pretty impressive..
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

Vehicle's in Europe (I've driven about a dozen different cars over there, as I rent one in Italy everytime I go), are far different from what you see here in the USA. Most are mobile caufins with motors. Of course, once you put a couple of people in them, that mileage suffers dramtically.
  12. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +88 / 7 / -10

#37 Jersey

When I first started driving I had a 1979 Plymouth Horizon that goat 40+MPG's, so it is there, it could have something to do with emissions also, I just don't know.
  13. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

We can do it buy choosing to buy hybrids. How about it YOU stay out of MY decision making on buying a car.
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +200 / 3 / -10

I don't want anything to do with you deciding on the car you want to buy. I just want the government to call for minimum standards. Given the limited oil supply we now have, there is nothing wrong with that. Yes, I believe everyone should be FORCED to conserve...it should not be a choice BF.

We fine people for littering, don't we?
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

Looked into this a bit, Ford is converting 3 truck.suv plants to produce the Fiesta (the vehicle getting 63 mpg) and a small suv the Kuga. It is not yet clear if they will produce the deisels here. The deisels are the newer types (co developed with Pugeot (sp?)) are will have the lower particulate output. These vehicles will be availiable for the 2009 model year. The next Focus will be based on the European Focus platform (same as used in the Mazda 3). The CEO has been in place for a year and seems to be moving in a good direction.

BTW Mercury was currently 2nd to Lexus in the latest JD Power reliability ratings for 3 yr ownership.
  16. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Just saw this Honda advertisement, 77 mpg. Does not give a price but the lease is $600 per month. Like everything else, the price should drop after the initial production.
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

Why force people? No one should be forced to conserve. If some one wants to pay for a lot of gas at $4 a gallon, that's their choice. If a company wants to produce a monster truck, or speedster that gets 7 mpg, let them. Sooner or later those very precedents you're condoning, will come for something that you hold dear.
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

I think the vehicle you speak of is called the Honda Dirtnap. I found a picture of it.

[​IMG]
  19. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

20. Real World

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2