PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For what it is worth – Belichick and Shanahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatch62

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
For what it is worth – Belichick and Shanahan

There have been a couple of posts by Denver fans saying Shanahan has out coached BB during the coaching history. I was curious and decided to take a look

Since 2000 – when Belichick took over the Pats – the Patriots and the Shanahan coached Broncos have a similar overall (regular season) records.

New England
Overall Record: 63-33 (65.6%)
Home Record: 35-13 (72.9%)
Away Record: 28-20 (58.3%)

Denver
Overall Record: 61-35 (62.2%)
Home Record: 37-11 (77.1%)
Away Record: 24-24 (50.0%)

From this is appears that BB has been more well rounded – winning at home and on the road – while Shanahan has dominated in Denver but has been average to above average on the road. I say above average because most teams would consider going 4-4 on the road a “successful†year and that has been what Shanahan has been able to do.

Over the course of the last 6 years the Pats have played the Broncos 5 time. Below are the outcomes of the games:

Year Location Final Score
2000 DEN Pats: 28 – Den: 19
2001 DEN Pats: 20 – Den: 31
2002 NE Pats: 16 – Den: 24
2003 DEN Pats: 30 – Den: 26
2004 No Game
2005 DEN Pats: 20 – Den: 28

During the match-up history the Broncos have won 3 out of the 5 games. One factor that has been in the Broncos favor has been the site of the game. 4 of the 5 match-ups were played in Denver giving them a sizable advantage.

Don’t know if this proves one coach is better than the other. I, along with the vast majority of you believe the BB is the best in the game. While we, as Pats fans should be concerned by the fact that the game is in Denver – where Shanahan has lost only 11 games in the last 6 years – there is one fact that I think is interesting and reassuring. 2 of those 11 losses that Shanahan has suffered at home were at the hands of the Belichick lead Patriots.

Interesting research. BB seems to have this team on a trend to get above .500 (I believe they are once again following the Jax game), seems positive to me. :)

shatch62 said:
there is one fact that I think is interesting and reassuring. 2 of those 11 losses that Shanahan has suffered at home were at the hands of the Belichick lead Patriots.

Do you really count that game vs DANNY KANNELL!?!?!?

pfffff

Bronco Freak said:

pfffff

You're going to be wishing you had Kannell in there when BB and the Pats give Jake the Snake the old Manning treatment this weekend.

Bronco Freak said:

pfffff

Yeah I actually do. Shanahan thought so highly of him that he put the game in his hands at the end. Look at the gamebook for that game:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20031103_NE@DEN

Denver leading 24-23 with 6:13 left in the game and the offensive mastermind (Shanahan) calls the following.
Denver Broncos at 6:13
1-10-DEN 34 (6:13) 26-C.Portis left tackle to DEN 40 for 6 yards (54-T.Bruschi).
2-4-DEN 40 (5:37) 26-C.Portis up the middle to DEN 46 for 6 yards (95-R.Phifer). R17
1-10-DEN 46 (4:58) 26-C.Portis left tackle to DEN 49 for 3 yards (50-M.Vrabel).
2-7-DEN 49 (4:16) 13-D.Kanell pass to 26-C.Portis to NE 41 for 10 yards (55-W.McGinest). P18
Penalty on NE-55-W.McGinest, Defensive Holding, declined.
1-10-NE 41 (4:08) 13-D.Kanell pass incomplete to 84-S.Sharpe.
2-10-NE 41 (4:05) 13-D.Kanell pass to 84-S.Sharpe to NE 35 for 6 yards (26-E.Wilson).
3-4-NE 35 (3:21) 13-D.Kanell pass incomplete to 84-S.Sharpe (37-R.Harrison).
4-4-NE 35 (3:17) 4-M.Knorr punts 34 yards to NE 1, Center-83-M.Leach, downed by DEN-83-M.Leach.

Just over 4 minutes in the game, Portis has just ripped off runs of 6, 6 and 3 yards. So on the next 3 plays Shanahan calls for a pass.

On 3-4 he goes pass instead of run. Shanahan had no issue with Kanell.

Pats take the safety putting the Broncos up by 3 (26-23) and give the ball back with 2:49 left to play.

Denver’s next series
Denver Broncos at 2:49, (1st play from scrimmage 2:46)
1-10-DEN 15 (2:46) 26-C.Portis right guard to DEN 17 for 2 yards (96-R.Lyle).
Timeout #1 by NE at 02:41.
2-8-DEN 17 (2:41) PENALTY on DEN-78-M.Lepsis, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at DEN 17 - No Play.
2-13-DEN 12 (2:41) 26-C.Portis up the middle to DEN 19 for 7 yards (50-M.Vrabel).
Timeout #2 by NE at 02:31.
3-6-DEN 19 (2:31) 13-D.Kanell pass incomplete to 85-A.Lelie (24-T.Law).
4-6-DEN 19 (2:26) 4-M.Knorr punts 48 yards to NE 33, Center-83-M.Leach. 80-T.Brown to NE 42 for 9 yards (55-K.Burns).

3-6, could have run one more time and make the Pats burn their last timeout or take it down to the 2 minute warning. Nope. Pass.

Pats get the ball back at their own 42 and score in 6 plays. On none of which do I think Kanell was playing defense.

So yeah, I count the game.

But if we are discounting the game because of Danny Kanell do we also discount this year’s game because the Pats were missing their #1 RB (C.Dillon), #2 RB (K.Faulk), All-Pro DE (R.Seymour), S (R. Harrison), LT (M.Light), and CB (T.Poole)?

I'll take the "Monk" over "Manson eyes" any day of the week and twice on Sundays, oops I mean Sat!

One major knock against Shanahan is how poorly his team has played in the playoffs during that time period.

Bronco Freak said:

pfffff

Any time a team takes the field during the regular season, it counts. What kind of fan are you. "oh my starting quarterback is injured so I think that ummm....this game doesn't really count" What a stupid statement. I guess thats what sets us apart. We have never made any excuses this year through all the injuries. Good teams don't make excuses, they make changes. We have continued to make changes throughout a mediocre season and here we are entering the second game of the playoffs!

Patsguy05 said:
What kind of fan are you. "oh my starting quarterback is injured so I think that ummm....this game doesn't really count"
He wasn't even our 2nd string QB though!! He was our 3rd qb, and he SUCKED.

But like you said, any time the team is on the field, it counts then, so then I will consider us destroying you earlier this season as huge, even though every patsy fan here -

is totally convinced that piling up stats on your garbage division is going to mean you are going to be able to stop the best running game in the NFL going back since Shanny took the reins.

All I know by what happened earlier at Mile High, is that Shanny is the better gameplanner, homefield means a ton to us (undefeated), and we have been resting for two weeks. Oh yeah, we are also better in all 3 facets of the game!!!! lmfao
28919415221.gif

ITS GONNA BE A ROUT!!!

It's the end of an era folks.

COREY DILLON is gonna be destroyed, non factor after the 1st quarter!!!
28919415221.gif

WOOO!!!

Brady will end the game 30 for 52 with 2 picks and 2 tds.

BRONCOS ROMP!!!!

btw...Champ is playing this time...the whole game!!!!

LMFAO!!!

Your outmatched pats fans. But again, congrats on your previous successes.

Last edited:
Bronco Freak said:

pfffff

Considering the Pats played that game without Richard Seymour, Ted Washington, Ted Johnson, and David Patten, yes!

Considering how badly Jake was playing back then, you may have lost by more.

It wasn't like he was Tom Brady!

Last edited:
kurtinelson said:
One major knock against Shanahan is how poorly his team has played in the playoffs during that time period.

One fact is that Denver was 13 - 3 with a bye and homefield twice before in 84 and 96. They lost both games.

We are coming up on the 20th anniversary of the 96 game. Will history repeat itself??

Bronco Freak said:

pfffff

Well... you are counting a game without Seymour, Bruschi, Dillon, Faulk, Harrison, etc... as evidence of the superiority of the donkeys..

You are a delusional uneducated donkey fan and you will fall as hard as the Dolts fans last year.

sarge said:
Considering the Pats played that game without Richard Seymour, Ted Washington, Ted Johnson, and David Patten, yes!

Considering how badly Jake was playing back then, you may have lost by more.

It wasn't like he was Tom Brady!

Fair enough, did they have the ball in thier hand with the game on the line? I could care less, that game had Portis in it, its old history. Two totally different teams. That game is totally irrellevant personell wise, its only worth noting in that Shanny out gameplanned Billichick, and Billichick made some great strategic decisions, oh, and Deltha Oneal is a moron and Danny Kannell sucks too.

Last edited:
Bronco Freak said:
I could care less, that game had Portis in it, its old history. Two totally different teams. That game is totally irrellevant personell wise

And we have a winner!

Bronco Freak said:
Fair enough, did they have the ball in thier hand with the game on the line? I could care less, that game had Portis in it, its old history. Two totally different teams. That game is totally irrellevant personell wise, its only worth noting in that Shanny out gameplanned Billichick, and Billichick made some great strategic decisions, oh, and Deltha Oneal is a moron and Danny Kannell sucks too.

Is that the same Deltha Oneal who returned a Punt for a TD in that game? On that ridiculously bad punt by Ken Walrter? Oh, wait, Ken Walter isn't on our team any more. So you can forget about returning a punt for a TD also.

Bronco Freak said:
Patsguy05 said:

BRONCOS ROMP!!!!

LMFAO!!!

Brady has thrown 3 interception his whole playoff career. What makes you think he'll throw 2 against that crappy Broncos secondary. If you think he's gonna try and pick on Champ Bailey (the only real threat in the secondary), you must be crazy. He'll spread the ball around to about 7 different recievers and the Broncos secondary won't know what hit them. I don't think he'll throw as many as 52 passes either. Corey has a chip on his shoulder and I'm expecting a big game.

Bronco Freak COREY DILLON is gonna be destroyed said:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/28919415221.gif[/IMG]
WOOO!!!
QUOTE]

Y-you sound like a big choo-choo train.

/great movie

Bronco Freak said:
Patsguy05 said:
What kind of fan are you. "oh my starting quarterback is injured so I think that ummm....this game doesn't really count"

But like you said, any time the team is on the field, it counts then, so then I will consider us destroying you earlier this season as huge, even though every patsy fan here -

is totally convinced that piling up stats on your garbage division is going to mean you are going to be able to stop the best running game in the NFL going back since Shanny took the reins.

All I know by what happened earlier at Mile High, is that Shanny is the better gameplanner, homefield means a ton to us (undefeated), and we have been resting for two weeks. Oh yeah, we are also better in all 3 facets of the game!!!! lmfao
28919415221.gif

ITS GONNA BE A ROUT!!!

28919415221.gif

WOOO!!!

BRONCOS ROMP!!!!

LMFAO!!!

Look ****head, if you are going to post on our board drop the "patsy' and "patsies".

We want some damn respect. Is that clear.

Bronco Freak said:
Patsguy05 said:

28919415221.gif

ITS GONNA BE A ROUT!!!

28919415221.gif

WOOO!!!

BRONCOS ROMP!!!!

LMFAO!!!

It would be nice that you could have a few posts that werent so disrespectful to us as pats fans. A little maturity would be appreciated...

Out of the head to head matchups since 2001, hasn't Seymour only played in one of those? This sat. will be 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes