PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For those wishing we had Seymour back

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Seymour is a beast and the best at what he does when he wants to be. He looked great with the Raiders, and for most of his time in New England (Especially before the big contract), was a dominant force behind the line.

But before you get frustrated that our pass rush sucks and it would be different with him, be honest with yourself.

As bad as our pass rush looked tonight, did it really look any worse then last season when opposing QB's had all day in the pocket?

Even the 2007 team didn't seem to generate much of a pss rush.

I think Seymour is a dominant player and the best in the league at what he does when he wants to be. But I also felt he took plays off. Just my opinion, flame away if you would like.

Being that he was just traded to Oakland, he has a chip on his shoulders. I saw people mentioning how he was double teamed and still made plays. I remember him being single teamed a lot lately here and being a non factor at times.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking production he had there would have translated to production here.

Last edited:
I dont think Seymour would have made that much difference, there is a reason behind the scene's why Seymour is no longer here who knows why.. Belichick would never sacrifce a season that has a super bowl apspirations, if it was for something 2 years down the line..

This is what i saw from the SD game

Seymour was blocked every down by the LT and Gaurd

This is from our game

Run at Green
Screen Pass at green
Run away from TY and Vince

Seymour is a beast and the best at what he does when he wants to be. He looked great with the Raiders, and for most of his time in New England (Especially before the big contract), was a dominant force behind the line.

But before you get frustrated that our pass rush sucks and it would be different with him, be honest with yourself.

As bad as our pass rush looked tonight, did it really look any worse then last season when opposing QB's had all day in the pocket?

I think Seymour is a dominant player and the best in the league at what he does when he wants to be. But I also felt he took plays. Just my opinion, flame away if you would like.

Being that he was just traded to Oakland, he has a chip on his shoulders. I saw people mentioning how he was double teamed and still made plays. I remember him being single teamed a lot lately here and being a non factor at times.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking production he had there would have translated to production here.

1. When Seymour is healthy and motivated he is a beast. No question about it. Last night he wanted to show everyone what a mistake it was to trade him, and of all the players I saw this week I would consider him the defensive player of the week. He was a beast at tackle and end, and made the whole Raiders DL much better. The Raiders defense looked the best I've seen them in years. But Oakland still lost the game.

2. I missed the first half of the Patriots-Bills game, so I can't judge, but from others' comments we didn't have much of a pass rush in the first half. But I saw a lot of pressure generated in the second half, with a much more aggressive, swarming defense than I have seen in a while. And don't forget that we were playing almost hte whole game without our (arguably) best defensive player and defensive QB in Mayo, which had to throw people off.

I'm not sure anyone ever suggested that our 2009 defense would be better because of the Seymour trade. No question he is a big loss. The question is how big he will be over the course of the season. As well as he played last night, I was quite pleased with our defense for the first game of the year, and think we will be just fine over the course of the season, barring major injury.

Some things that I would like to see for week 2 and beyond (assuming Mayo's injury is not serious):

1. More Ron Brace. Buffalo was able to run too much, especially with Fred Jackson, who killed us again. Brace and Wilfork together will shut down the run. Mike Wright played a fine game, but I think by mid-season Brace is the starter inside next to Wilfork in the 4-3, and even gets some time at 3-4 end on first and second down.

2. More Derrick Burgess. I see Burgess and Adalius Thomas as our two biggest pass rushers, and I would like to see more use of them.

3. More safety blitzing from Meriweather and Chung.

I think Seymour is a dominant player and the best in the league at what he does when he wants to be. But I also felt he took plays off. Just my opinion, flame away if you would like.

The 2007 team was second in the league in sacks. Seymour himself had 8 sacks last season to lead the team. Yes, I think the pass rush would be a lot better if he were still in there. I also think the run would be stopped a lot more effectively. Did you notice the runs that Jackson was peeling off Seymour's side of the line? Chances are that doesn't happen if he's in there.

I didnt want to come writing negative comments last year about Seymour, but he did look tired and very used. I am more than grateful that we got a 1st round pick for him. He was an amazing player for the patriots all these years and should and will be remembered as such.

Last edited:
The pass rush was anemic for much of the game. I think that Seymour could get push up the middle and turn the pressure that TBC and Burgess generated into another sack and a couple fewer completions. I seriously hope they can do a better job getting pressure out of their front four, or it could be a long year with too many nail-biting shootouts for my continued good health.

Green got run over a couple of times, but he did look strong when the play went the other way - making a couple backside tackles and limiting the amount of time the play had to develop. No question he's better playing a one-gap DE, where his speed is effective than a 2-gap, where his middling size limits his effectiveness. Having Mayo behind him would certainly make him look better. He's the most important piece to the puzzle, although I expect AD will look better with a week of practice on the inside.

I stopped reading your thread when you went off on PASS RUSH. Enough.
Richard is dominant with the RUN and consistently TIES blockers.
He is a defensive ANOMALY
You're trying to excuse the hole that's left. It's going to take time and BIG adjustments.

Last edited:
I don't get the need to keep kicking RS now that he's gone. We get it. You think Seymonster was a lazy player that didn't give full effort.

I respectfully disagree. If big Sey had been on that field for us last night the left side of the buffalo line would have been under extreme duress all night and Trent Edwards wouldn't have had the luxury to (in his own words) go through to his fourth progression most times. IMO Seymours presence was missed last night more than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots